1. Health
I get a lot of questions from readers about muscle - how to build it, how to make it stronger and how much they need to lose weight. One thing experts are always telling their clients is that muscle burns more calories than fat so, the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be. But, just how many calories does a pound of muscle really burn? The answer may surprise you. Check out my new FAQ about How Many Calories Does Muscle Really Burn? to find out.
Comments
May 18, 2006 at 12:39 am
(1) rhonda says:

went i start exercise i always get leg cramps really bad they start at my toes. and work there way up my legs sometime in both legs at the same time. i’ve been having this problem since i was in jr.high. what can i do. i need to lose about 75lbs.and i am about 43yrs.it is taking me about 10yrs now to get my weight off. i need help

May 18, 2006 at 9:05 am
(2) Paige says:

If you’ve been having this problem for this long, you should definitely call your doctor about it. He or she can help you figure out what’s going on and what you can do about it.

May 23, 2006 at 12:19 am
(3) tania says:

I have been on steroids for a year and ahalf and am finding it very difficult to loose my tummy!!

May 23, 2006 at 1:58 pm
(4) rivka says:

Try doing a lot of stomach crunches everyday. You may see that help you lose inches in your tummy. Being on steroids won’t help you loose there.

May 23, 2006 at 2:38 pm
(5) jpmswiss says:

Take a magnesium supplement….just one tablet in some water. Eat more bananas. Good luck!

February 8, 2007 at 6:38 pm
(6) mizzyb says:

iv been doin crunches for almost a week but how many should i do a day? i want 2 lose at least 20 puonds in a short amount of time in the shortest time possible

*comment back plz!
*mizzyb
*mauh*

April 20, 2007 at 9:59 pm
(7) Kayla says:

Mizzyb…

I do 500 crunches a day included at least 30 bicycle crunches. But you probably won’t lose that 20 lbs with crunches alone, you have to do some cardio too like riding your bike or walking for 30 mins to an hour a day.

July 11, 2007 at 12:02 am
(8) Kimmy says:

mmm…I wannna lose 5 pounds before September for cheerleading and I do crunches everyday and I wanted to know how many I should bee doing and if there is also other things that can help me

September 27, 2007 at 8:18 pm
(9) Leigh-Ann says:

I want to lose 15 lbs in the next 2 months. Is this an unreasonable goal? I am doing cardio (on an eliptical machine) for at least 20 – 30 min 5 days a week. I am also watching what I eat (not drinking sodas, not eating candy and excess sugar). I am trying to eat responsibly, but eating smaller portions, more times a day, and healthier foods (NO FAST FOOD!). I also have legs weights and small free weights that I use 5 days a week. Is this an adequate workout in order to lose 15 lbs in 2 months? It seems I keep fluttering between 125lbs and 130, and my goal is to be 115. I’m 5’2 and have never been this heavy…My average weight was about 115. Is there anything else I should be doing or focusing on?

October 14, 2007 at 4:28 am
(10) Aaron Liu says:

my routine is based on time, not amount of crunches. ive found out that u cant just count and be satisfied with ur high number.

warmup: 20 sec crunches, 40 second rest for 5 min
main set: 45 second crunches, 15 second rest for 15 min
endurance set:30 second crunches, 30 second rest for 12 min
cool down: 20 second crunches , 40 second rest for 3 min
total time: 35 min.

this is a very rigorous workout and should only be practiced every other day in order for body to recover. u should be able to do 200 crunches in a row before starting this regimen

November 20, 2007 at 10:46 pm
(11) Kory says:

I want to trim my stomach down for football this year. I broke my wrist this year so i cant lift. I also ride my bike 10 miles a day and do crunches. what else could I do?

December 17, 2007 at 6:33 pm
(12) ashley says:

welll i do 1000 crunches a day
n eat
-manily non fat food
like 1 yogurt
-1 fruit salad
and like 2 or 3 bowls of cereal a day..plus a salad wit ham n crackers iono bout the salad but i no that the yogurt and fruit salad and cereal is all non fat. will i loose weight?or tummyyy weight?

March 19, 2008 at 10:18 pm
(13) Richie says:

well i just did 650 BICYCLE CRUNCHES and jumped on the computer and googled how many calaries do bicycle crunches burn. i only do bicycles because normal ones dont do nearly as much as them.

March 31, 2008 at 11:44 pm
(14) schnarf says:

If any of you guys/gals want to really lose/gain weight, just look for a bodybuilding/strength/fitness website and look around and ask questions. ;)

October 22, 2008 at 10:31 am
(15) RICK says:

sorry Paige but you are wrong, 1# of muscle burns approximately 80 calories a day.. sorry

August 13, 2009 at 3:52 pm
(16) Markus says:

No, Rick is dead wrong. The caloric burn rate of resting muscle tissue has been measured at 4.5 to 7 kcals per pound per day (Elia, 1992).