1. Health
Paige Waehner

In the Forum - Smoking and Exercise

By July 25, 2006

One forum member asks the question: "What I need is some real data or personal experences about smoking while exercising. I already know smoking is bad, and leads to health problems. I'm not really looking for responses telling me something I already know. On that note this is what I dont know.....If you smoke 2 - 5 cigarettes a day, ""as I do" can you expect to gain lung capasity if you run a mile every day?"

The short answer to that question, of course, is yes. In fact, our Quit Smoking Guide describes what happens to your body after you quit and says that your lung function will improve after just 2 weeks off cigarettes. Still, if you smoke and exercise, you may not even be aware of how much more your body could be doing until you quit.

What do you think? If you used to be a smoker, what changes did you experience in your workouts when you quit? Come join the discussion and tell us what you think.

Comments
July 25, 2006 at 8:53 pm
(1) Andrew Burroughs says:

I have run 4 Marathons since 2003. Of the 4, the first marathon in South Bend, IN I had my fastest time and I qualified to run Boston. Here’s the kick, I smoked about a pack a day of ultra lights at the time. I ran a 3:09:03. Now when I quit, I found my ability to run farther faster improved. I could run the same speed as before with less effort. After a few months the old “top speed” seemed almost too slow. The slower times following South Bend were due to issues not related to smoking, mainly shin splints.

So in short it is clear to me that I was able to improve my performance after I quit smoking without any other dramatic changes. It turned out to be very enlightening.

Be careful not to mistake the fact that you seem to work at your workouts just as intensely for lack of improvement. We have a tendency to perform at the same level even if the result is improved. We get used to our “perceived exertion” and can take it as stagnant effort.

July 27, 2006 at 11:29 am
(2) Orshoe says:

IMHO, increased lung capacity increases your capacity to absorb the smoke and the harmful chemicals associated with it. I started exercising about 2 months back, with about 2 sessions of 15 minute walks at about 4 miles per hour. I have been a smoker (between 4-7 cigarettes/day) for over 5 years (probably close to 6 years). I felt a severe burning in my lungs – not sure if its the increased lung capacity after such a long time without exercise, but that prompted me to quit smoking. I did not smoke since then. I’ve been exercising since then and have started weights along with cardio a month back. With 4-7 cigarettes a day, maybe I’m not too addicted, but initially I used to think about the next day’s cardio and the lung-burn and that kept me away from the cravings. Now I don’t have cravings at all. I do go out with friends to give them company (I know passive smoking is dangerous too), but I do that just to get out of the work place – but I never smoked since I started exercise.

August 2, 2006 at 6:30 pm
(3) tyciol@hotmail.com says:

Smokers can be great athletes. I’d actually consider it less of a factor than diet and rest. There’s nothing stopping you from being a world champion in an sport, or a smoker, but you suffer long term and always limit gains. Still, the stress relief, diet reduction, chemical endorphin stimulation might be of use, short term.

March 16, 2007 at 8:27 am
(4) SmokeBan says:

Quit smoking with me. Visit my blog http://ssmoking.blogspot.com

March 27, 2007 at 12:42 pm
(5) Jen says:

I’m a pack a day smoker and I do an hour of intense cardio per day, I’m 26. I, like you, hate the “smoking is bad for you” response – we know it’s bad for crying out loud, leave the smoking issue and answer my question, right? Anyways, I just started exercising about 6 weeks ago and YES cardio of any kind increases your lung capacity even if you smoke. I’m sorry but all of the people telling you to not exercise if you smoke is ridiculous. A “fit” smoker is better off health wise than a fat, lazy smoker. I’m in better shape than many of my non-smoking counterparts – not in better health necissarily but better shape.

April 24, 2007 at 11:39 am
(6) Custom Blends says:

I’ll bet it’s the chemicals added to cigarettes by big tobacco that does the most damage to endurance.

You could try chemical and additive free tobacco at customblends.com – making your own is incredibly easy and fast now.

July 6, 2007 at 10:23 am
(7) Anonymous says:

I’m 35 years old and started smoking about 4 years ago. I also started working out a lot at coincidently the same time that I started smoking.

I am more fit than my friends who do not smoke and who not exercise. I hiked the Grand Canyon in one day, and it was a piece of cake. My friends who don’t smoke, they struggled with the hike and I ended helping them to carry some of their stuff back up out of the canyon.

I routinely see a doctor for a health reason not related to smoking and every time they take my blood pressure (like 4 or 5 times a year), my blood pressure is just fine. When I had some blood work done recently, my blood work came back just fine as well with no abnormalities at all.

I smoke about a pack a day and then on the weekends, I don’t smoke on Saturday and Sunday…

I’m in the best shape of my life and have not “suffered” any decrease in performance or health due to smoking…

I also take handful of vitamins a day, including joint supplements, calcium, ect ect ect…

Sure its better to not suck down on smoke and pull it into your lungs, but everyone is getting crazy with the anti-smoking laws, and commercials on TV which are flat out HYPED up and even lies.

There is nothing wrong with smoking in moderation so long as you take care of your health. Over eating and people who are over weight are more of a “danger” to themselves than people who smoke and take care of their health.

Look at all the people who suffer heart attacks every year, come down with diabeties(spell?), get high blood pressure, have strokes, ect ect, all because they are over weight.

Again, there is nothing wrong with smoking in moderation so long as you take care of your health.

October 30, 2007 at 2:51 pm
(8) Steve F says:

I quit smoking and saw some huge gains in times on my 5k. Also if you want to smoke and work out go for it! Its better then nothing right- But dont kid yourself into thinking you can be just as good as a non smoking you. Still you could be better then a non smoking someone else.
I dont know about the lungs but nicotine prevents as much OXygen getting to your muscles- Even 2 a day is all that takes.
But still if you can smoke and work out and dont care about the cancer risks…or dont worry about them yet, then go for it. I would, but my lungs and attitude towards working out changes when I smoke for some reason.

Good Luck.

February 12, 2008 at 10:50 am
(9) Julie says:

I am a 38 year old woman who started smoking at 13. Currently I smoke 2 packs a day of Newport 100′s. I am a little overweight. I have a very stressful job and smoking like I do takes the edge off the day. I walk every other day, about a half mile. I see my doctor 2 times a year, and have a chest xray every 2 years. I have tried to quit 3 time, but each time I gained weight. I have tried patches, they don’t work on someone as addicted as I am. Right now I have no intention of quitting. I smoked the same amount through 2 pregnancies and have to beautiful normal children.

March 21, 2008 at 5:22 pm
(10) Katie says:

I am 26 years old and workout 4-6 hrs per week doing intense dance, cardio, pilates, and yoga. I have been smoking for 10 years and smoke 1/2 a pack a day. It is nasty and is bad for you but please do not say you should not smoke and exercise. It is better than sitting on my butt and eating McD’s quarter pounders. There needs to be more campaining on eating habits than smoking habits. I wished people would stop making us smokers look like losers because we aren’t. Stop making us “hide” when we smoke in public. Anyway, I smoke and do extreme exercise routines and I am fine. I can not stand to be around a fat smelly person who’s B.O. bothers me! Ban that!

April 23, 2008 at 12:35 pm
(11) equazcion says:

These are the facts: Given two people who excersize equally, one being a smoker and one a non-smoker, the non-smoker will have more stamina and endurance. But that doesn’t mean you can’t be fit while being a smoker. The tradition of telling people who want to start a workout regimen that they must also quit smoking is silly and counter-productive. Going from a low-activity lifestyle to a regular workout regimen is a very difficult life change, and so is quitting smoking. Put them both together and it’ll seem like an insurmountable challenge that will cause most people to lose hope and give up. The fact is that if you smoke you can still excersize, lose weight, gain muscle, and make yourself look and feel better. Somewhere down the line you may want to consider quitting smoking too, because the fact is it will be better for you and let you reach new peaks of performance. But one step at a time. There’s nothing wrong with making one improvement in your life and then making another when you feel ready. Making the decision to get in shape is an excellent choice, and smokers shouldn’t let all the literature out there telling them that they need to quit smoking simultaneously discourage them from taking that positive step.

July 9, 2008 at 8:59 am
(12) Alex says:

I am 33 and have been a smoker (pack a day) for over 14 years. I do lots of sport (soccer, bycicle, step, fitboxing) all these years recently averaging 14 hours/week. Recently doing my annual check up the doctor suggested after checking my respiratory function “Your lungs a clean. You probably don’t smoke?” Many of people who are around me are nonsmokers and most doing no sport. Most are younger in age. Many are envious to my physical condition.
If one can’t beat a bad habit there is still a possibility to beat one’s lazyness and go excersise. “It is better to smoke and to do sport then not smoke and not to do sport”.:) Of course, it is better to not smoke as well, but given these three possibilities… Besides for me one of the reasons to increase the excersise to that crazy level was “Because I smoke- I have to do more sport!”

September 28, 2008 at 2:45 am
(13) tina says:

i have been smoking since i was 11!!!!years old ,i am 41 now. so no mater how many ppl say smoking doesnt make a diff…. i tell yo thats BS.
i quit cold tourkey after i tried zyban, patches, gum and even chantix…i didnt woke up one morning and said this is it. i planned it in every detail and i have been smokefree since last year. and i did NOT gained alot of weight. thats also a myth… if anyone would like to get some info and a friend to help email me
dougssweety2001@yahoo.com

November 24, 2008 at 7:31 am
(14) Craig Van Rensburg says:

I have been smoking since about 16 and now i’m 36 and am on at least twenty cigs pers day (up to 40 per day on weekends).

I recently started regular exercising with the hope of eventually quitting cigs. I always used to believe I cant exercise if I am a smoker. So I threw that idea, bought a bicycle and do some strenous work at least 4 times a week. I also do some weight training for my upper body.

My concern is this: Is combining smoke and exercise dangerous to the lungs? Maybe the new expansion of the lungs pushes the tar and chemicals deeper?

Either way, after excersize the last thing i want is a cig and i go without one for hours.

April 29, 2009 at 5:50 pm
(15) Mr. Cool says:

It’s apparently your heart that it’s not good for if you smoke and exercise. The smoking alone strains your heart. Combining that with intense exercise causes extra straing on the heart alongside the smoking. Does this make sense? Is there a medical professional that can clear this up?

August 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm
(16) me says:

smoking scratches the insides of your blood vessels, as well as constricts them. then, add high cholesterol due to poor diet that blocks blood vessels, toss in some stress drizzle on energy drinks…your heart is already working at maybe (im no mathematician) 70 percent efficiency (AT REST) if your lifestyle is as above…think of your heart as a truck. if your truck is running bad you probably wont take it on the highway (unless you absolutely have to) right? well if you fix the truck then you’ll probably try doing 120 mile an hour sometime in your life (in this “truck”) its preventative maintenance. why run the truck broken when it rides a lot better when its fixed? its like people who put chrome on a broken down car…looks good on the outside but the inside is junk. a plant cant get it’s nutrients if its veins are clogged.

August 16, 2009 at 12:15 pm
(17) HarryKumar says:

Figure Out Why You Smoke

You may have heard the saying that the first step in solving a problem is admitting you have one. As cliché as the phrase has become, it is undeniably true. You have to figure out why you smoke in order to get rid of those reasons and replace them with reasons why you should not smoke.

Quit With Others

It is easier to quit smoking if you do it with a group of people who are struggling at the same time. You can keep each other in line and offer advice and support through the tough times. There are various online resources for quitting in groups, and your local hospital may have meetings as well.

Throw Out Smoking Related Stuff

Perhaps the first step in quitting smoking is to get rid of all tobacco products, lighters, matches, ashtrays, and anything that smells strongly of smoke and can’t be washed. You are less likely to start smoking again if there is nothing that reminds you of it lying around.
Resource:

December 14, 2009 at 12:00 am
(18) Nick says:

Im a current smoker for almost 3 years now, i smoke around 4-7 ciges a day. Ive been going to the gym at least 3 times a week for about a year now, and the only diffrence ive noticed is that it keeps getting harder and harder to get my heart rate back up to how much it should be to run cardio on the tred mill. After i work out cardio i always feel like my lungs are new again, maybe they are cause im only 18 and your lungs continue to build and heal themselfs until your 24 for a male like me.

April 14, 2010 at 4:23 pm
(19) Freelddup says:

Im quite brand new to this sort of community speak stuff but Im willing to support and learn a great deal, I really hope. Particularly in respect health and fitness as well as the particular aspects of diet and in my case exercising.

At any rate, just simply saying howdy and hope to be around for some time.

May 16, 2010 at 12:47 pm
(20) MIKE A says:

In response to Julie from above…. Two packs of newport 100s per day? are you like kidding? are you sick of living?chest xrays are not a good indicator when it comes to lung cancer that has started deep in the lungs,so dont think your safe.and also smoking two packs a day while pregnant is not only ignorant but totaly selfish.

May 18, 2010 at 12:33 am
(21) Roger says:

How about this…. 67 yrs old, smoked for 45yrs and got determined to run this year. Am now doing 4.5 miles in hour going for 5+ (3 or 4 times/wk). Also do 45 min of weight training. Results on health have been very good according to blood/heart tests and my own feeling. Lots of fighting shins, muscle aches, etc., but moving forward and enjoying it. Resting heart rate is way down, and peak while running keeps moving lower. So,…. my feeling is EXERCISE even if you still smoke.

July 22, 2010 at 2:10 am
(22) jess says:

in 24yrs old, been smoking since i was 12yrs old. (disgusting i know =x) for the past few yrs been smoking about 15-20 cigs a day. im also an exercise freak. do at least 10hrs of cardio a week. im my breathing, VO2max, endurance would be better if i didnt smoke, but i do, so tough luck to me. im sure im fitter than 90% of the ppl i know.

the one thing i dont understand is that right after an intense cardio work out, the FIRST thing i want is a smoke. i dont get it, i wouldve thought at that point, my lungs and body would find it disgusting, but instead, my body and, seemingly, my lungs, crave it. =x horrid, i know.

October 28, 2010 at 5:02 am
(23) Deepak says:

I have been smoking for 15 yrs, now I am 41, smoking a pack(20s) a day. I have tried almost everything, but so far have not managed to put away the cigarretes for not more than 2 days. The third day, I feel somewhat dizzy and have a nausea. Any advice on this. Six yrs back, I tried Zyban and cigarettes tasted funny and managed to quit for a year, but now when I use Zyban, it does not seem to have any effect.

February 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm
(24) Caleb says:

I do Crossfit, which if you haven’t heard of it is the workout that Satan makes people do in hell. Okay, it’s not that bad.

When my lungs are burning during a workout I think “I’m quitting!” And then later I’m like “F that- I like smoking!”

Weird.

I’ll trade a little of my “peak gains” from exercising for a few cigarettes when I want them. Now what I mean?

February 26, 2011 at 8:45 pm
(25) john says:

I only smoked a few per day, but since I have quit, my bench press has gone up by 75+ pounds, I can do nearly twice as many chin-ups, and I am in much better shape. My skin looks healthier, I feel healthier, and best of all, I don’t get sick anymore!

March 21, 2011 at 6:52 am
(26) Andrew says:

I’m 26, and smoke 15-20 cigarettes per day, and have done since I was 16. Yeah its bad I know, but I started regular exercise this time last year, and the fitness gains have been insane… in every way… including my lung capacity. Plus my fitness continues to improve!

I do 6 hours of vigorous exercise per week (including 3x1hr bootcamp group sessions, 3x1hr jogging sessions). That’s 1 hour per day, 6 days per week, consistently.

Check this out:
The one mile run I did in Jan 2010 at bootcamp was 9:00. In Jan 2011, it was 07:14. That’s 103 seconds FASTER.

I never get sick and rarely feel ill in health, unless I drink too much or smoke too much on the weekend and feel hungover. Also, my lungs never hurt from exercising, and I don’t cough anymore.

This evidence has gotta say something…

Surely, I’d gain more if I didn’t smoke, but I’d rather be a fit smoker than an unfit non-smoker.

May 2, 2011 at 1:28 pm
(27) Jake Ralston says:

I’m 34 (closet smoker). I’ve been smoking since I was 15. Off and on and never a heavy smoker. However over the years I can’t seem to shake the urge for a good ol’ Marlboro Red, especially when I’m drinking an occasional beer. At my heaviest, I’ve smoked maybe 10 a day. Sometimes I can go weeks, with zero smoking. Other weeks, it’s like 4 or 5 smokes a day. I also workout like a fanatic. In fact, if I didn’t run and lift weights, I know I’d smoke more. Part of me (the addicted side) loves to smoke and think it’s part of being a guy and the sneaking around is almost fun because NO one would ever guess I smoke. ;-p The other sensible side of me, knows how awful it is. However, for now the exercise seems to be helping me smoke less. I say don’t beat yourself up about it but also know that it’s not something to be proud of either.

July 6, 2011 at 11:44 pm
(28) Sam says:

Another question you might want to ask is “Can exercise cure lung cancer?”

October 15, 2011 at 9:46 am
(29) Pat says:

It is appalling! Some people here make it sound so glamorous. Smoking is plainly unhealthy for you,for your UNBoRN baby, for anyone around you. Like any other addiction, You can quit if you REALLY want. Someone once asked, what would one do if one was stranded in the middle of a desertic place where utopicly there would not be any cigarrtes or other addictive substance or FRIENDS who use them? What if one was there left for good? Well, if you found sufficient things to keep you thinking (meaning a library of good reads, ah this is utopia) no junkie TV) one would br fishing, planting and harvesting food to eat, in other words, WORKING to live, what would happen? One would be FREE from those poisons! Go friends!

November 24, 2011 at 4:45 pm
(30) Anon says:

Bar heart disease cancer is one of the leading causes of death in the developed world, lung cancer comprises a dramatic proportion of cancers. Over 90% of lung cancer cases are directly caused by smoking illustrating the extent of its effect on the population. As someone who has been trying to give up cigarettes for several years I understand how difficult it is; however to ask for a change in the public perception of smoking to lay off smokers with what have been described as excessive warnings is RIDICULOUS. It is a filthy habit, it detrimentally effects you & those around you & it is a habit that should be discouraged by whatever means be it painting smokers as ‘losers’ or otherwise. The defensive nature of some of the previous comments on this forum appalls me, regardless of whether you want to hear it there is no grounds to justify smoking nor any situation where smoking doesn’t harm you.

February 4, 2012 at 10:46 pm
(31) Thelma says:

I’m a 51 year old female who plays hockey 8 hours a week, 8 months of the year for the last 12 years at least. (6 hrs w/men- 2 w/women) In summer I run& swim a little. I smoke on average 12 cigarettes a day, more on weekends. We went to a tournament one weekend and they had a problem w/ the ventilation system and the zamboni was spewing fumes. A lot of players ended up in the ER with breathing problems, and coughing up blood….except the smokers! Lol.
Regardless, my blood pressure is awesome, my lungs are clear (had an MRI a few years back ’cause they were concerned my pancreas seemed large -apparently it’s common for athletes)
The most ignorant comment I ever heard in my life was…”you play hockey and you smoke?”. And this coming from a couch potato!
Most of my nonsmoking friends can’t even WALK and talk with me, without heavy breathing. Please exercise regardless!

February 17, 2012 at 11:50 pm
(32) really says:

Thelma,so you’re sitting here thinking that you’re better than your friends(physically) because you play hockey(great job by the way) and they are “couch potatoes” BUT YOU STILL SMOKE.

I mean are you people really that oblivious? You think you’re better off and “more fit than most people(as poster above have said),but your lungs and who knows what are full of crap? Get over yourselves. I am a trainer and I come across people like yours too many times. Like I tell my clients. A healthy inner and outer body is key. I have seen diabetes reversed and hypertension no more! If you have a nice 6 pack,but your lungs are full of crap or you have a drinking problem,your no better and still need help.

You’re no better than a 300 pound person who exercises and doesn’t smoke. Most people I train who are overweight don’t drink nor smoke. Some of the healthiest people I know have HORRIBLE habits after they leave the gym folks. Why is it okay for you to smoke,but you’ll sit there and taunt a client of mine who is trying to lose weight just because you have a great body?

If you don’t have a healthy spirit to match that,you’re lost. I don’t care that one smokes. I really don’t. I just can’t stand the “I smoke,but so what! I have an awesome workout regime and I bet I can out run most people I know! Give me a break already. You’re in major denial.

February 29, 2012 at 1:12 am
(33) Cali says:

Hi, very interesting comments! I do smoke, and I’m sick of it to be honest, and I want to get back into exercising again but after running for the bus the other day…I know I am in trouble. “If you am sick of it why don’t you quit?” I hear asked already, because I am struggling with it. Last 4 years I have quit three times 8 months each time and this time I’m not yet motivated enough.

I really want to exercise again but I am worried about the strain on my heart and lungs so I an starting off gently and building my workouts up gradually.

I don’t think it’s fair to ‘jump’ on those that do smoke that exercise as I agree that at least they are smoking and exercising rather than smoking and not exercising.

I am actually encouraged by the positive comments by those that are saying “If you smoke still go exercise”, this I find motivating right now when I am at a time I am not in a place to yet quit. But who knows, like what happened on one of my previous quit attempts, it was starting to exercise that made me stop so I’m hopeful.

But for those that do smoke and exercise, (whether I am smoking or have quit) Good For You’s! At least your not sitting around doing nothing.

June 7, 2012 at 5:54 pm
(34) Dan says:

I’m a 22 year old male who started smoking when I was 13. It varies how much I smoke a day, sometimes it’s 1/2 a pack a day & sometimes it’s over a pack (usualy when I’m drinking or wound up) I also have a heart murmur so it’s hard to run even for a couple of minutes. For the past month or 2 I’ve been lifting weights & running a little bit every couple of days. So far I have been feeling a bit better. Sometimes I let it go to my head and feel that it’s ok to smoke more because I’m a little healthier but it’s not. I too have tried to quit (only lasted 4 days) but could not, and whats messed up is that before I tried to quit I smoked about half as much.. So anyway, yeah go for it just be careful and pace yourself.

July 11, 2012 at 10:12 am
(35) Hope says:
July 11, 2012 at 2:01 pm
(36) who cares says:

I’ve been smoking sense I was 8 I’m 60 now. I stayed in ok shape all my life till I tore my shoulder than my knee than my other shoulder, that’s when my collateral got all screwed up and I started to get emphysema. I starter to do a cardao exercise with weights. The good collateral is exultant and no signs of emphysema. I roll my own smokes. I think that lack of oxygen will cause brain damage. I look at all the obese people, and wonder how much air is getting to their brain., are they even consensus. We all make the choice how we’ll die. I don’t want anyone to choose for me.

July 11, 2012 at 8:02 pm
(37) Lauren says:

Have smoked for 30 years. Built up to a pack a day, then suffered depression and ended up on Wellbutrin which kept me at 6 cigarettes a day for more than 10 years. I made the decision to go off the anti-depressants a year ago (which was wonderful) and found the smoking craving increased. Have tried to quit ever since. Started menopause and gained weight so began a daily exercise program (Leslie Sansone’s Walk at Home). Have continued to want to quit and tried and failed and used every trick in the book. I love the daily workouts but realize that the smoking is holding me back. Tried a new workout yesterday (The Firm) and thought I was going to have a heart attack! However, once I got through the workout, and my body felt so good and tight that I made the final decision – not another cigarette for me. Sometimes it just takes that epiphany and the realization that there is something you want more than that smoke. I am looking forward to overcoming the need and the goal of keeping up with those girls on that dvd and getting the body I know I can have even at 50.

July 31, 2012 at 11:09 am
(38) Glen says:

I am 50 years old and smoked since I was 13 except for a 3 year break. I have always exercised, played sports, cardio and strength trained. I became a non-smoker 15 days ago and I believe it was finally time to stop. Even though I was in great shape, looked good, my addiction to nicotine was spiraling out of control. Like a previous poster, after doing an hours worth of intense cardio, I would be craving not just one cig but two or even three. Long story short, my cig intake reached almost 40 a day and that’s no way good for anyone. I got a copy of Allan Carr’s book, read it and planned to stop. OK…now at the gym, I’m intentionally pushing myself harder doing complexes, planks, hanging leg raises in addition to everything else I used to do. Do I get out of breath? You bet but I don’t have the burning in my throat or lungs anymore. You can still train hard when you smoke but as you get older, you begin to notice the effects on your performance. Right now, I’m almost at a 8% body weight and going for my 6-pack….haven’t had those since I was a teenager.

January 17, 2013 at 11:23 pm
(39) Joe says:

I am 41 yrs old and like many of you guys am an on again off again smoker. I too exercise regularly (mostly push-ups, sit-ups, and jumping rope), and although I know that smoking is not great for me, I think that otherwise following a healthy lifestyle (I also try to eat my veggies and not eat too much junk) can offset some of the damage. Of course I would love to finally quit, and I probably will be successful at some point, but until then, it is better to at least stay as fit as possible instead of developing a pot belly (I still have the same 32 inch waist that I did back in college), I loathe the self righteous “perfect” people out there who feel that they know me and can judge me because I still smoke. Anyway, I recently came across a wonderful website http://www.smokersfitness.com which I found to be quite helpful. The people who run the site (one of who is a medical doctor), published a book called “a smoker’s guide to health and fitness” (I kid you not) which I found fascinating.

April 6, 2013 at 11:12 pm
(40) Corina says:

I am 44 and have smoked since I was 15. I had started smoking because as everyone hears all the time all about how Europeans eat better sleep better and are healthier what they are not hearing is that Europeans smoke a lot. Between both sides of my family mom’s side and dad’s side there are over 100 family members we have and out of all of them only 2 don’t smoke. So I started smoking because pretty much everyone I ever knew did.Almost everyone on both sides have lived and died in their 90′s none of cancer not lung not breast no cancer. They died of natural causes could have been heart disease sure but who cares at that point? Everyone in my family that has died has always said they wanted to it was time because they believed that life should be full and when it was no longer full for them well they belived that was it. I think a lot of smokers are getting tired of being picked on for smoking and blamed for causing cancer to other people via second hand smoke. Yet in the US there are less smokers then there were 20 years ago yet lung cancer is still the number one killer. One must practice common sense here and ask themselves why if there are less smokers lung cancer is so high. Well if you look at a US map of radon areas you will find that radon is everywhere. Looking around you will see factories and nuclear power plants everywhere relesing toxins and polutents in the air . The air in most homes is more poluted than the air outside but you never see peoples windows open. Could be a cause for the high lung cancer . Don’t throw stones if you live in a glass house. I am 44 my blood preassure is low my good colesterol in higher than my bad my tryglisirides are very low I’m not over weight and I exercise daily. I think genetics play a huge role in your longevity weather you smoke or not. But what you consume in food and exercise also play a role . Everyone has a vice wether you smoke or wether you drink or wether you over eat no one is perfectly .

April 25, 2013 at 12:24 am
(41) Marcos says:

I am an amateur boxer mid 20′s that has been smoking for the past 3 years not more than 1 cigarette per day but I have not seen a decrease in my abilities as long as I stick to my training regimen.

November 28, 2013 at 10:59 am
(42) Dominic says:

Not being funny but most people here seem to be making excuses for their smoking habit, it’s easy to see as an ex smoker myself, people seem to be ending their arguememts with a question as if asking someone to back them up.
Use you’re common sense, seriously, you don’t need to look on an Internet message board to see that smoking will obviously hinder you’re cardiovascular performance.
Lace up you’re shoes and hit the road, it’s up to you if you smoke, but don’t try and say it doesn’t make a difference because not only is that an uneducated claim to make it will also hurt you in the long run.
Having said that I hope everybody enjoys all their future runs and I wish everyone the best of health.

February 28, 2014 at 1:46 pm
(43) Marie says:

Hi,
I am a 29 year old female and I have been a smoker for about 13 years, I always stop when I am pregnant and nursing and then I start right back when my kids are done with the nursing. I usually exercise but I have recently stated doing more high intensity workouts and I desperately want to stop this horrible habit. I have tried the gum, electronic cig but I always fall back into craving the real thing. I know that if I stop, i will be even better at my workouts but anyone who says that quitting is easy has never had an addiction like this. I am one of those people who would love to be healthier all round but it is the hardest addiction to break, i feel so discouraged.