1. Health
Paige Waehner

Exercise of the Week - Seated Hip Stretch

By March 25, 2008

If you spend most of your day sitting, one problem you may have is tight hip muscles. Tight hips can cause aches and pains, muscle imbalances and can even contribute to lower back pain, another problem many of us experience from sitting too much. The remedy, of course, is to either do your job standing up or, even better, quit your job to become a surfing instructor somewhere in the Hawaiian islands.

Until that surfing job comes through, you can ease those tight hips by stretching them often. One of my favorite stretches is the seated hip stretch. This powerful stretch is something you can do all day long, at work and at home.

Do it right: While seated, cross the right ankle over the left knee and sit up tall, contracting the abs. Gently lean forward, keeping the back straight and reaching out with the torso until you feel a stretch in the right glute and hip. You can also press down on the right knee to deepen the stretch. Hold for 10-30 seconds and repeat on the other side.

More Stretches for Office Workers

Comments
March 25, 2008 at 9:09 am
(1) alyssa says:

hey it works! thanks so much I feel better already.

March 25, 2008 at 4:41 pm
(2) nancy says:

hey i tried it,and it really works!!!thanks

March 26, 2008 at 6:05 pm
(3) Jaime says:

This is great for pregnancy!

March 31, 2008 at 2:37 pm
(4) Barbara says:

This sounds great, but at this time I can not get ankle comfortably over on my other knee. I get a wicked pull in muscles in inner theigh. Would like to know any other ways to get this exercise done.

April 1, 2008 at 6:56 am
(5) Martin says:

Thanks again. I’m a Personal Trainer in England and am always interested to see variations of stretches. This is a great one and will also be very useful for some people who are not as mobile as they would like to be. I wouldn’t recommend it during pregnancy though!

April 15, 2008 at 2:05 pm
(6) wafa says:

thanx paige, i have learn alot from u about exercises every time ,there is big differnce when u know well.

December 4, 2008 at 6:21 pm
(7) Dennis says:

I’ve known about this exercise but don’t do it nearly enough. The pain was unbearable and I found this site and I feel much better.
I have a question: my pain radiates (burns) from my both sides of my outer glutes, over the top of my hips and down the lower spine. The most painful part of it is on my right side and it seems to be muscular. OUCH!

July 8, 2010 at 9:50 am
(8) S says:

Yes please – some of us with serious arthritis in knees, can’t do this exercise, but need the stretch. Can’t you show a modified version as well, for those of us who need seated exercise?