1. Health

I was talking to one of my clients recently and he said, "You know, there's a guy at the gym who has the most amazing abs...I think it might be a 24-pack. I hate him, of course, but can you give me some exercises so I have abs like that?" He was disappointed when I told him that ab exercises, while important for a strong core, are probably the least effective exercises you can do to get a six pack. He was even more disappointed when I went through some of the best ways to reduce belly fat, mostly because they all involve hard work. "So all these pushups, squats and lunges you make me do will help me get flatter abs?" He asked. I said, "Only if you stop drinking all that beer every night." He blinked. "Then what will I live for?"

Indeed.

Reducing belly fat isn't just important for how you look, it's also important for your health. People with more visceral fat (fat that surrounds the organs) have an increased risk for metabolic problems, cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes, so reducing it even a little can help your body stay healthy. You can get a few ideas for how to do that in my latest article about reducing belly fat. If you have any tips, leave a comment and tell us about your abdominal experiences.

More About Your Abs

Comments
January 14, 2009 at 3:22 pm
(1) Michelle says:

I think it’s sad that people don’t want to work for things. Even their health. People are just generally lazy in my opinion. Maybe not so much of the people who come to these kinds of sites, but overall- the United States is a very lazy place.

January 14, 2009 at 5:23 pm
(2) Merry says:

I think people just give up, we do what is easy and don’t think about the what the ending will be. I watch my mom diet all her life, if it was on T.V. she did it. At age 5 I was aware that I didn’t want to be over weight (no lie 5). Even though I have never been over weight I still carry a fear it might happen and never let myself get beyond a certain weight. I don’t think were lazy, were not aware what might happen if we give into easy and cheap. I live by these words “your body is the house you live in if you don’t take care of it, it goes away”.

January 14, 2009 at 6:52 pm
(3) Renee S says:

The problem with abs are if you have fat covering them you can’t see them. so in addition to strength excercises you need to find a way to make your midsection sweat.Sauna suits are great and they have smaller versions that are specific for parts of the body such as the abs , the legs and even your upper arms.If you can be successful melting away that fat you may be able to see your hard work a little sooner and be more motivated to keep pushing on.

January 15, 2009 at 8:13 am
(4) Staci says:

Sure, a lot of people are lazy. But I believe a lot more are given misinformation (like wearing a sauna suit, which is only going to diminish water weight UNTIL you drink water), and because of the misinformation, don’t get the results they were promised, as fast as promised or get injured because of the bad advice, and yeah, not surprisingly – they do give up. We need better and CORRECT information out there!

January 15, 2009 at 10:43 am
(5) Alisha says:

Its not just about being lazy, its also time management, sometimes its really hard to catch up with yourself when life is moving too fast and you suddenly realise you’ve been letting yourself go. After I had my first boy, I really forgot about eating regulary and healthly, and had no structured exercise… the weight piled on, when i eventually realised it felt too late, I tried loads of crash diets, but they all made me feel horrific and the weight would pile back on. I just started following this new book called No Gym Required (Jennifer Cohen) it seems really amazing so far as its more of a lifestyle change so its ongoing, which seems much more healthy than the quick fixes i got sucked into in the past. There are recieps that are really good and I can cook them for the whole family (so important with young kids to eat the same food as them). What I love most about the book is the exercise plans as I can actually stick to them, you can do them anywhere (seriously!) Also, her style of writing is really fun too, its a good read.

January 15, 2009 at 12:34 pm
(6) Joan Lewis says:

O.K. I have belly fat!! So I read your article about getting rid of it. The beginning strength workout is great. One problem. The lunges. I am older with very noisy knees. They hurt, also. Any alternatives? Or some hints on knee workouts so I can do the lunges more effectively. Thanks much!

January 16, 2009 at 11:46 am
(7) catluver42 says:

I agree with Alisha (#5) things change in your life and sometimes fitness gets pushed to the side. It isn’t a good thing but it does happen.

January 22, 2009 at 11:22 am
(8) Gerald says:

Thanks Alisha for the recommendation of Alisha “No Gym Required”. Just bought it.

- Gerald

January 25, 2009 at 3:29 am
(9) christie says:

The great thing about working your abs is you can do it anytime, anywhere. n It may sound simple but you can work your abs very well just by flexing, holding, exhale, repeat. I do this all day and have a nice 8 pack again after three kids. You can do it watching tv, driving your car, or sitting at work. it is the same principle as those silly belts that shock your muscles. basically, just get a routine and stick with it. it must also be accompanied by a good diet. check out http://www.workoutticket.com for some great advice. they helped me get back in shape fast after my 3rd kid

March 6, 2009 at 9:12 pm
(10) fujii wu says:

Hi Joan Lewis actually I have knee problems due to a severe injury which has me trying to lose the weight to take pressure of my joints, however in response to lunges on the ROM stands for range of motion where you squat or bend within regular range for example sitting in a chair if you pause before you touch the seat that would be a range of motion squat or you pause where your body is comfortable…then grab a chair and hold that position for a few seconds..lunges can also be done this way..called stationary lunges, you hold that position also lunges are comfortable when done stepping forward..backwards lunges are awkward and finally not to drone on I recently saw 2 ladies demonstrate proper lunge form is was slow steady and graceful one lady knee swept the ground and she stayed in that position the other lady lunged without going as deep.

October 31, 2009 at 1:48 pm
(11) Patty says:

I don’t necessarily think the US is filled with lazy people. On the contrary I think many Americans are just so tired from working hard all week long that who has the energy to work out and try to lose the excess weight! It takes a lot to get the motivation needed to be able to lose that weight when we have our lives filled with so many other obligations.

February 19, 2010 at 1:11 am
(12) Susan says:

I had lost 82 pounds of pure weight (my before and after pictures doing everything other than what the “diet industry” was promoting. I found a home and diet program written by a real person that I was able to have contact with via email, not some company that had no one answering phones when you had questions. When I found out how lunges, chin ups, squats and push ups all worked out the abs indirectly in addition to the muscles the exercise was designed for I was amazed how fast the weight started to fall off. The best part is I was able to do all my workouts from home, being a single mom that was important to me to be home with my son as much as possible. Anyway, everyone is different and different things work for different people. I had used a mix if things such as home fitness workouts, foods that burned belly fat faster, and weight loss affirmations. It was a great combo for me.

March 15, 2010 at 3:46 am
(13) ganesan says:

ec way to reduce ur fat as well as weight s 2 do NAMAAS…..i think every1 knows that daily u have do 12 times……(s exercise s for fat man or women)……..very large fat people don’t follow dis……..

July 2, 2012 at 3:10 pm
(14) Sherry Osborn says:

The most important part of losing weight is what your eating. You can work out in the gym all day long, but if you’re not eating “right”, you’re wasting your time and energy.

February 17, 2014 at 11:41 pm
(15) linda says:

I’am taking this but it seem’s to me i am not losing anything i don’t understand it. i have been on it now for 2 mo. what am i doing wrong. i would rally love to get rid of my belly. can any one help me please