1. Health

I received an email recently from a man struggling to exercise. This isn't a new topic, of course, but what makes this person stand out is the fact that, at more than 700 pounds, it's almost impossible for him to find cardio equipment he can use to help him lose weight. Even walking is extremely difficult for him and he asked me if I had any ideas for exercise equipment for obese people.

I've talked about the challenges of being obese and ideas for how to exercise at home with things like portable pedlars, recumbent bikes and exercise balls but, unfortunately, the options are limited.

I thought I would turn to some of my readers for ideas. For those of you who are obese (generally with a BMI over 40 or more than 100 pounds overweight), do you exercise and, if so, how do you manage it? Do you exercise at home with equipment or videos or are you able to go to a gym? Have you found equipment you like or creative ways to exercise? Or perhaps, like this man, you're still trying to find ways to exercise. Leave a comment and tell us your ideas for how to exercise when you're obese and/or have limited mobility.

Comments
August 27, 2009 at 10:11 am
(1) HugeMD says:

I started walking really slowly (maybe 1.5 mph) for 10-15 minutes on the treadmill at the fitness center when I was 385 lbs. I worked up from there. Eventually I started lifting weights (some machines, some dumbbells) with the help of a trainer. I later tried the elliptical even though I felt like I’d die doing 2 minutes the first time–now I can do 30-45 easy. Later I added Pilates Reformer. I’ve been sidetracked somewhat by an injury (slipped on the stairs and tore my rotator cuff), but I’m a million times healthier than I used to be and am getting back into the swing of things!

August 27, 2009 at 11:18 am
(2) Deb says:

I find that at 350 most exercise and exercise equipment is not made for the extremely overweight.. so I do sittercise, (exercise in a chair, harder than you think) but my favorite is the pool at the YMCA. I walk, float, and go to an aqua exercise class. I love the feel of no pain in my joints while in the water. Because I am shy and sensitive to put downs.. I go early in the morn, when younger people are still in bed.

August 27, 2009 at 11:32 am
(3) Zoe says:

What a great topic!

There was a guy in my neighborhood who was really obese. He started walking in tiny incriments – like across the street, then down the street, then around the block. He looked pained, but determined. He said later that some people cheered him on every day and that really made a difference (so consider that folks).

He later got a tricycle. It was the kind that was industrial that pulls vending boxes with the wide wheels in back.

I also think pool exercise is great. You get to be blissfully weightless for a while, it takes the stress of the joints… I take a water aerobics class occasionally and there are all sizes of folks taking them and the group is very welcoming. It can be as easy or as hard as you like!

August 27, 2009 at 11:38 am
(4) Zac says:

The reader should Google “David Smith +650 pound virgin.” David Smith had a show on TLC about how he lost in excess of 400-lbs. First step was to hire a personal trainer to visit him at home. Personal trainers aren’t cheap (in my experience) but the trainer simply got Smith to do very straightforward exercises that can be done at home – and by using a little imagination and creativity. No exercise equipment necessary.

By doing this, and by making changes to his diet, Smith was losing an astonishing approx. 40lbs a month. I was amazed.

August 27, 2009 at 1:00 pm
(5) Mark says:

I have to second the recommendation for exercising in a pool. At nearly 400 lbs, walking was hard for me to do. Even the least grade, uneven terrain, or surfaces that made for unsteady footing were all monumental challenges for me. I started out in chest-deep water with my shoulders out, and walked back and forth at an
easy pace. As I gained strength I varied speed, and used “water dumbbells” for added resistance. After two months of this, walking on land wasn’t as hard.
I would go to a local high school track and walk measured laps in good fitting supporting shoes, at a comfortable pace. I love marches, so I bought CDs of military bands, and matched cadence gradually.
Another good item is a wrist style pulse meter. I’m now using ankle and wrist weights gradually. I get up to a target heart rate and go into “cruise” mode,
holding it steady. Probably the hardest part of all of this was for me to realize it took time for me to get in this poor state of health, so to get back to health, it would take some time and effort as well. Be patient with yourself. After all, God is.
As long as you’re here, and alive, He isn’t through with you, and you’re not done yet. I look forward to more weight loss- 50 lbs already after a month and a half!- and much more energy, and just maybe- a little more quality time with the ones I really love here. That’s what I’m going for!

Mark, a.k.a. Dieselheart001

August 27, 2009 at 3:59 pm
(6) steve says:

I had a lady go from 398 to under 300 using BBs, DBs, medicine balls, tubing, and sandbags. Just find multi-joint movements you are capable of and go to town on a balanced program, meaning try for an equal amount of work of the following: quad or hip dominant work like squats and dead lifts (that does not necessarily mean back squats or BB dead lifts, there are many variations, and that goes for the rest of these exercises) horizontal pushes and pulls (rows/push ups), vertical pushes and pulls (presses/pull downs). These can be scaled back as much as needed. For example do push ups against a wall instead of on the floor and increase the intensity from there. She even did squat thrusts from a box about waist high and lowered the box as she got better. Of course she started with walking, stretching, and easy body weight moves for 3 weeks but from there it’s time to get out of your comfort zone and work harder. I find that most people don’t do that. Many times I see my older and heavier clients outperform to the point of embarrassment much younger and leaner trainees. And half of them are using trainers.

August 27, 2009 at 5:21 pm
(7) NeverGiveUp says:

I started at 325 lbs in January and am now down over 65 lbs. To top it off, I’m a TALL woman. What does a very obese person do? Whatever it takes. Walk, jog, run. Schools generally have pretty nice tracks, some with really well done padded surfaces to help reduce the shock factor to knees. There are bicycles that are made specifically for very obese people. They’re expensive, but available. But the easiest thing to do is to get back to basics and do bodyweight exercises. Just like the other poster stated, do pushups (first against the wall, then on your knees, work your way up from there), crunches, squats, tricep dips, etc. Doing these exercises in circuit with no rests gives you cardio as much as climbing on an elliptical. I would also highly highly recommend getting a trainer, even if you can only do one session per week. Obese people deal with very specific physical issues and injury risks that a trainer can help you identify and work around. Plus learning how to do exercises correctly (such as squats) will increase the effectiveness of your workout and give you more bang for your buck. Also, find some stairs and climb them. Go to a mall, to the library, to a park with steps, wherever you can find them and just go up and down – best thing in the world!!!! Who needs a stairmaster if you’ve got 2-3 flights of stairs in your office? Stay after work and just walk up and down those flights of stairs. Think outside the box; there are plenty of things that can be done without using “traditional” cardio equipment.

August 27, 2009 at 6:46 pm
(8) Janny says:

My local Public Broadcasting Station shows re-runs of “Sit and Be Fit” twice a week in the morning. It’s mainly geared to senior exercisers, but a lot of the routines are good for very overweight people too. Most of the exercises can be done from a sitting position. It nice to be able to exercise that way because you can concentrate on learning and doing the movements without worrying about your balance and possible falls.

August 27, 2009 at 7:47 pm
(9) Linda says:

I was really obese and I quit drinking soda, and ate no whites, and no sugar, I have lost 75 lbs in 6 months with very little exercise I got one of those peddles that can sit on the table or floor and used that also lifted weights sitting in the chair untill I was able to stand and do it. I really hope this helps. Thank you Linda

August 27, 2009 at 8:05 pm
(10) Obese2Skinny says:

Exercising is the answer is all we hear when we are obese… but hard to do when walking across the house is difficult. This Christmas I will be post op lap Gastric bypass… It was so hard at first now it is truely a blessing. I changed eating habits for life (Thanks Kaye Bailey!) and started holding two cans of peas as I walk from ones end of the house to the other. Then adding in steping up and down off one step to the front door. Then added in water exercises, it is the best for us, our joints need the pressure off them for us to exercise for long work outs.
I went from 230 lbs to holding steady at 130 lbs three yeas later. I now RUN yes, RUN three miles a day with my dog, She motivates me to do it, she is reletless about wanting to go!
It is all about baby steps, take each one with a sense of I CAN DO THIS!

August 28, 2009 at 4:40 am
(11) Vicky says:

I would like to know when is the best time to exercise?
Do you eat before or after? I work from 8 – 5, we have supper at 6:30. so when will be the best before supper or after supper.
Please i need to get this right.

August 29, 2009 at 5:41 am
(12) Angela Howard says:

To Vicky You need a personal trainer to help you get it right if what you have been hearing is not working especially to check with a doctor or nutrionist. Most say Eat like a King for Breakfast, Snack like a Queen, lunch like a prince, snack like a princess, dinner like a pauper, only soup tea or broth before bed. Let the biggest meal be Breakfast and scale down each snack or small meal after that.

August 29, 2009 at 8:28 am
(13) Tara says:

I was 400lbs and exercised at least 4 days a week. While I could use equipment, it was limited. I used treadmills, but even better were elliptical machines that did not put any stress on my knees. I also taught an exercise class for women who were large. It was just a matter of starting slowly and going at your own pace and then building up stamina. Unless there is you have a dibilitaing disease (I don’t include obesity in that catagory), I don’t think there is any excuse not to move the body in some way.
If you don’t want to go to a gym there are videos out geered to people whose mobility is limited in some way, for example chair aerobics. Look for the name Kelley Bliss, she is one of the leaders of the ‘health at any size’ movement and she has wonderful videos that provide a healthy way for super obese people to become healthy.
I lost a significant amount of weight, but am still fat, and still exercise daily, including running and rowing, so I know it can be done.
One significant issue that I don’t know how to solve is OTHER peoples reaction to obese people exercising, in some ways that is the hardest obstacle to overcome. If you have to suffer cruel and degrading comments every time you step outside to work on your health, it gives you one more reason to stop. Unless it’s just taking a walk, I still don’t run outside anymore because of the things people would shout at me in cars. But that said, it didn’t keep me from finding private ways to move my body and it’s made all the difference in the world. I feel great, fat and all!

August 29, 2009 at 10:54 am
(14) Melody says:

I recently began a journey to a healthier lifestyle. I am about 130 pounds over weight. I do deep water walking. I am up to 45 minutes 5 days a week. Sometimes I even go in the morning and the afternoon. The weightlessness of being in the water relieves a great deal of stress off the back and knees.

August 31, 2009 at 2:44 pm
(15) sandy says:

I was over 300# when I joined Weight Watchers. After a couple of weeks I started walking. I walked for 30 minutes and tried to walk a little farther in that time every week. When I lost more I could walk longer and faster. I also did Leslie Sansone walk dvd’s in the winter. I lost 140#s.

August 31, 2009 at 2:47 pm
(16) Lyndsey says:

Hello,

I have resently lost about 60lbs, and I have at my highest weight reached 248, but know I am about 184 and want to loss another 40lbs. I did it because I was having such hip pain that I could not walk or work. My job requires me to be on my feet all day so it came down to survival. I did it with the help of, acai, the product that, Rachel Ray used in her weight loss program. And a lot of water. After each meal atleast 16ozs, but please check with your doctor first.

To the point of movement, and my heart goes out to this person. Due to the fact of my limited movement. But that is the answer just move even if it is just standing and sitting at the side of your sofa or bed and increasing each day. For me listening to good old gospel got me going. Move your arms if it is hard just back and forth. But first stay in touch with your doctor. I work for a very good family practice physician, and when they speak of obesity, it took this last crisis to get it, with the hip pain.

So, dear man, just move that is the answer. Side to side steps, arms back and forth, twist at the waste gentle, for ten to fifteen minutes two to three times a week.

God Keep you in your journey, and you can make it.

Fellow struggler(smile)

August 31, 2009 at 9:20 pm
(17) Schooner says:

Exercise in a swimming pool is a good start for obese persons. The water cusions stress on joints like knees, but also offers resistance to work muscles against. Begin by just walking laps, build to running laps in the water. Take a break to lift foam barbells in the water and do stretching and kicks. A pool, or a section of a pool, that is only about 3 feet 6 inches in deprth is perfect. Be sure a lifeguard is present, or that there are others in the pool at the ssme time who will watch out for you.

September 1, 2009 at 11:38 am
(18) Elaine says:

I started regularly exercising about a year and a half a go with Aquacise class. It’s an evening class, only participants of the class are in the pool so no big deal.
It took a while to get the hang of the exercises but they have done wonders for my fitness and flexibility!
I’m probably 100# overweight and although I’ve only lost 20# I’m somuch more toned up. It looks like 30#!
I can’t believe how much better I feel. I have much more stamina to get through the day, I’m not exhausted when I come home from work. I have more energy to do things and my overall fitness is better.
I have done both deep water and the chest high water aerobics and both are good.
I try and go and exercise in the water even when they’re are no classes, such as summer holidays.
There’s one very big guy who has come to the pool along with a few others who water walk and do exercises with hand “barbells” (basically paddles that offer resistance) and we have all made progress. In the pool everyone there is encouraging and I’ve never heard a snide or unkind remark from anyone. The one very big guy wears a t-shirt and boy over the year or two he’s been coming he’s lost a great deal of weight -since I”ve never asked him I don’t know but I’m thinking it’s at least 200# and all he does is walk across the pool.
I think he participates in the “fit & 50″ aquacise and does what he can.
I do like the water as I don’t have any problem doing jumping jacks or what have you with no pain in my feet with the water but it wouldn’t be as easy “on land”.
No one has mentioned resistance bands. They are an inexpensive way to start exercising and they can be used with arms or legs. Even some strengthening would be good.
I have found I need to find other things to do so when the pool isn’t available that I still keep the exercise up. Our pool is close for maintenance for the next 2 weeks.
Good suggestions from everyone!

September 1, 2009 at 12:29 pm
(19) Dee says:

I waw 220 lb.s at 5’3″ when I started to excercise in arthritis water classes. The water is amazingly supportive. “Water walking” in a specialty pool at a local public recreation center is good place to Start. Soon I was in a water aerobics class wearing a lap belt, and doing a lot more. After strengthening my quads, I am able to do most low impact exercises.

September 1, 2009 at 3:10 pm
(20) Marshal says:

Let me start with congrats. Stay after it. Your size is not a factor. My point being. You have came to the same avenue in your life as someone that weighs 175, 220, or 318. You want to lose weight. The only real muscle to work on right now would be your mind. Stay focused mentally and the rest will come. You want to lose weight. For how long? How long will you want to lose it. Don’t fall into the seasonal fitness gym black hole. Don’t think about equipment.This will only discourage you. Physically, walking will be major. Let’s say if you can continue to want to lose weight, watching what and how much you eat, blending with walking for three (3) months. That would be your routine. If you can stay focused that long. You should begin to lose size, then you will be able to use any machine you desire. Fit the machine, If that’s what your goal is don’t find a machine to fit you. Not in offense. You are that machine already. You just have to use it. Good Luck, Your biggest fan

September 1, 2009 at 4:07 pm
(21) Mary says:

I started fitness / exercise component of my weight loss and fitness program at 275 pounds back in October 2005 and I was 55. I had already lost a bit more than 50 pounds through dieting. I did nothing but walk on the treadmill at my fitness club for almost 5 months. It was almost 6 weeks before I could walk without holding on to the rails. It was scary and a big challenge for me to let go. I very gradually pushed up speed and elevation. I pushed up duration quickly to get to 1 hour sessions 3 times a week. I was religous in adhering to my fitness workout schedule. I added the recumbant bike after about 6 weeks and after about 5 1/2 months I was FINALLY able to move on to an elliptical which was my BIG BIG goal. Step after step on the treadmill I envied the women working like crazy on the ellipticals. The treadmill was hard and it was at times boring. The recumbant bike was easier but the calorie burn was so low and it was discouraging for the amount of time I put in. My IPOD was what allowed me to push through the tedium on each machine. I cannot read when I am working hard and I could never work as hard as I wanted to if I was watching TV. However, I would do whatever was required to get through each session. I eventually took few Head to Toe and other aerobics classes for overall work-out, conditioning, and fitness. I added more cardio machines and circuit training. Finally, after approximately 11 months my weight was down to about 197 and I started working with a personal trainer. That was fabulous. I am now at my goal weight, 163, based on body composition not BMI. I do everything now. It was not easy and it was not fast and of course it has become a way of life. It was S-L-O-W and steady but it was safe and I won the race, and it all continues and will continue.

September 2, 2009 at 1:44 pm
(22) Tracey says:

I started to make a life change when I reached 251 pounds. I started out slowly with changing the food I ate and introducing myself to walking. It was extremely difficult in the beginning and there were times I wanted to give up. I joined the gym so I could walk on the treadmill during the winter months. I am lucky that my gym also has a variety of classes for different skill levels. I have lost 85 pounds and ran my first 5k race. I have been obese my whole life and I never imagined that I would run a 5k race. Out of 1200 participants I came in 550th place. And I weighed 185 pounds when I ran that race. I beat my time by 7 minutes! You can be chubby and in great shape! I know that I will reach my goal, I have twenty more pounds to go and I will do it. As long as you are moving and always just push yourself a little more you will succeed!

September 3, 2009 at 1:03 pm
(23) Judy says:

I started concentrating on exercising about six months ago when I began a medically supervised weight loss program. I weighed 403 pounds and have bone-on-bone arthritis in both knees and a hip. I joined 24-hour Fitness so that I can work out anytime. I paid for sessions with a personal trainer to put together a weight training program that would help me build lean muscle mass without hurting my knees and hip. I try to go to water exercise classes when I can, but they are not at a convenient time for me. Mostly my exercise right now consists of swimming laps. My weight causes me to be low in the water and I found it difficult to take breaths without half drowning myself. I finally hit on using a snorkel and mask. At first, my hands didn’t even break the surface of the water, but I found that I could do a regular swim stroke under water. After doing this about 4 weeks, I am doing 20 laps in about 40 minutes. I’m motivated to do exercise because I award myself with 10 to 15 minutes in a hot tub after swimming! All I can reallyl suggest is to find whatever works for you. It will take trial and error, but if you truly want to get healthy, you will find a way to motivate yourself.

September 7, 2009 at 8:54 am
(24) Beverly says:

I recently started working out at my hightest weight ever 286lbs. I joined the gym on June 8th 2009 . I just made up my mind that it was time for me to get healthy,or I would die. I couldn’t walk a long distance or hardly lift my 3 year old neice and I was on 35 years old. I simply was not ready to die yet so I did the only thing that I could do I loss weight. So far I have loss 37 lbs. And aint no stopping me now. You have to relize that it took years to put the weight on and it is not going to come of in a few weeks. Another thing that I have learned is that you have to be able to encourge yourself sometimes.Remember that we can do all things through christ who strenghts us. Hang in there you are not alone……

September 8, 2009 at 11:05 pm
(25) kara says:

I just recently got on the bandwagon to get rid of this weight once and for all, and at 300+ lbs. its about time. I have a bowflex climber that I use (weight limit is like 250) and have recently got up to working out 30 minutes a day along with an all natural food diet. At 700 lbs. it may be extremely difficult to find equipment however, there are bed and chair excersizes you can look up online to start with, also just doing household chores around the house is a good start, I wouldnt recommend too much excertion at first simply because I know how much it takes out of me at 300. Purchase weights and work on your arms or try to move around in place while watching a tv program or soemthing else you would have done stitting down…good luck to all

November 8, 2009 at 2:42 am
(26) Karl says:

Hi Guys, I am a personal trainer who has just taken a new client. I was looking on the Internet for a full package to help my new client who we think is around 150-200kg get fit and healthy again. I was looking for training programs, diet, lifestyle coaching tips, do’s and don’t. Just one program on page without going here and there.

January 6, 2010 at 11:20 pm
(27) Leslie says:

i am a obese female that weigh 265 it is a struggle everyday for me but i refuse to not be healthy and 150 lbs again…i am struggling from hypertension. The elliptical is the first thing i tried and kept doing longer than 2 days and it been 2 weeks that iam proud of and by friday i decided add my diet in my plan to be healthy …researched that oranges and fruits with vit c are natural fat burning food and if u fill your self up bout 6 times a day then u should see great results..so may god bless and give all my obese fam the will power to reach their healthier selves

July 20, 2010 at 5:47 pm
(28) evelyn says:

I would use a comprehensive and intensive program to aid with weightloss. A program which takes into account what you eat, how much you eat, why you eat, when you eat, and how you feel while you eat. For exercise gentle walking, body rolling using a medicine ball, bowling ball or other hard balls, make your own weights using a broom with socks filled with dried beans tied to the ends or water bottles taped together. You can also get some exercise videos and moderate them until you can do all the exercises. Any movement is good even if you are just trying to keep an inflatable ball in the air. Swimming is also good exercise

January 21, 2011 at 12:03 am
(29) ks says:

I am 250 lbs and have used Joslin Diabetes Centers video
“Keep Moving…Keep Healthy With diabetes for a low impact exercise program that has stretching, cardio (mild) and a little resistance band work. You can do it sitting if you need to. Leslie Sansone’s Walk at Home “5 Day Slim Down” video has an easy warm up walk that takes 5 minutes. It has 5 other 14 minutes walks that you can work up to. For more strength training, Joyce Vedral “Slow and Steady 1234 Total Body Workout” can be done standing or sitting as needed. It comes on a DVD with another workout that is faster and more aerobic as well. I also use a portable peddler that I got from Wal-mart. I use an adapted Tabata method. Pedal slow for a minute to warm up. Then pedal fast for 20 seconds, pedal slow for 10 seconds. Repeat 4 times. This takes about 5 minutes. Even small amounts of exercise make a big difference in how you feel and in how well you can move.

April 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm
(30) pjh says:

My BMI was 46 when I started. I spent the first year lifting weights. The starting weight was 10 whole pounds in Sept, 2009. I used progressive lifting [adding weight or reps or/and sets to each workout] The scale told me I didn’t lose a pound but I went from 10 lbs to 110 lbs ab crunches and the other weights increased to that level also. Since I was building muscle and didn’t gain, I was also losing body fat. Not a bad exchange however my BMI didn’t change when I ran it with the method on the net because I was the same scale weight. One reason I don’t like those methods…

I also got more fit while lifting. This year in Jan, I added Cardio back in. I’m lifting 110 pounds for ab crunches/ 120 for leg presses so the cardio was actually easier than I thought because the weight workout already conditioned me somewhat and gave the strength needed to do the cardio. It was 2 minutes to start with 2 minutes added the next workout until I got to 10. The next workout after that was 15 minutes. Then 20 the next week. Then 25 the week after. Once I hit 25, I started adding in High Intensity Intervals. 2X a workout then 3X. Currently I am at 6X. My heart rate goes no lower than 80% for the workout and my High Intensity is above 90% HR. Do note I also had a checkup and my heart checked before I started this so I knew I was not likely to run into many problems at that intensity. I also upped my weights to 80% heart rate.

I am no longer 46 BMI but now 42 BMI . It took 3 months to drop that and I don’t plan to stop. In fact I just bought a recumbent bike for the house so I can do my HIIT on my off days. Time to Rock and Roll.

Being fat doesn’t mean you can’t be fit. Being fat means you are fat. Fit is something you can get even when you are fat. Granted the fitter you get, the skinner you will get but you can head for that now instead of waiting until you are a ‘normal’ weight. Now that I am doing 18 miles a week at 85% of my heart rate I would say I’m fit [and after I get the bike in, I'll be doing even more]

June 7, 2011 at 2:22 am
(31) Rose Cat says:

I was over 400 lbs and wheelchair bound (nerve pain not weight). I worked in stages, cut back soda (since going diet or quitting wasnít going to get me started) then later went to diet and am currently working on (low sugar/salt) juices and spring water (which I like better than tap, purified or not).
I thankfully have GOOD readings (no Diabetics; blood pressure normal, etc, only my oxygen runs low sometimes (sleep apnea and my pain meds which suppress my breathing) so I am attempting to get used to Cpap machine (allergies got in way before when I was only borderline, now I am working to find exactly what I am allergic to and how to treat it.
I can’t stand without leaning heavily one cane or walker (and can’t walk far even with walker) so I was doing exercises on PBS with exercises for in chair, on back or on knees and mixed them up well enough everyone got some exercises they could do. (Sorry I donít recall the show name) That worked for a while but it was too easy to let slide
Then I was at a friend’s house and their daughter asked me if I bowled, I told her I used to do league at her age, and she giggled and showed me her Wii sports game. I laughed and sampled several games and was surprised how tired my arms got, and the next morning how sore my shoulders where. Itís hardly a tradeoff for real exercise but it beats being a couch potato or playing less active games. And now I had a FUN ‘exercise’ reward for doing the more repetitive but more active chair exercise I had let slide.
I also stuck to my diet better by doing the same; on the one day a week I go over to my friends’ house I can have diet soda, I can have couple slices of pizza or a burger with bacon slice, but ONLY if I stick to diet during the other 6 days, if not then the day I didn’t counts as the one ‘freebie’ day I get per week. Since I like eating the same things as my friends I almost always managed to hold out for my ‘fun’ day and eat proper meals the rest of the week.

October 7, 2012 at 9:28 pm
(32) Deborah says:

I reboound 30 minutes 3 times a week, palate’s ball 30 minutes 3 times a week, walk 20-30 minutes 6 days a week and water aroebics 3 times a week. I had to build up to this routine, but now miss it when I am unable to exercise. Even though I have 120 pounds to lose, I feel fit.

December 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm
(33) Dale says:

I was 420 pounds and I lost down to 190 in one year and six months. There really is no equipment that big people can use. What I did for my work out was very simple movements at first. Such as getting off a chair and siting back down then getting off again. Also when I did my normal house hold chores I would try and do them at a little faster rate or adding more movement. For example when doing lundry instead of dumping the whole load in I would put one shirt in at a time useing my legs to lift. When I got out of breath I would stop rest catch my breath and start again until I was done. After awhile I built up to walking inside my house. Again once I was short of breath I would stop allow my heart to rest then go again. It is a slow start but with the extra weight you burn so much with just a little effort. The best part is yes I started by sitting down and standing up, (something most people laugh at when I tell them) to running a half Marathon. With the right diet you do not need any intense cardio. Well not at first. Find something you love doing and just add some more movement to it . Such as I love video games so every loading screen I bust out a few squats or jumping jacks. If you can not do any of those don’t worry just stand up then sit back down do that until you are out of breath then stop pat your self on the back because you just took your first step to becoming not the new you I am sure you are a wonderful person just with some extra pounds but the thiner you. The you, you will be proud of.

January 16, 2013 at 1:20 pm
(34) Marie says:

I’m 100 lbs overweight.I started walking in my living room for 30 min intervals at first now i’m up to 60 min.I do it while watching TV.I incorporate bicep curls and arm lifts .I also tried 10 min chair exercises they can be quite a workout.Somedays I workout for a total of 1hr and 30 min walking in 1hr then a half hr intervals.I also try to do 20 reps of kettle bells .

July 28, 2013 at 5:31 pm
(35) BigMomma says:

indoor Swimming pools usually offer a water aerobics class
if you’re uncomfortable in swim trunks there are places that offer plus size wetsuits… (see Graham from Master Chef !)

this is low impact helps you move around and is consistent exertion

They also have water weights which are basically water filled floaties!
awesome for toning

If you’re local indoor swimming doesn’t have a class like this be proactive and start one yourself for other folks who are struggling with weight or mobility issues!!

I went from 215lbs to 120lbs in about 3 months with water aerobics and increased lean meats for meals and no sugary anything or fakes( no diet sodas etc)

December 21, 2013 at 12:15 am
(36) debbie says:

go see steve nicander he has lost 600 lbs

February 25, 2014 at 3:09 am
(37) uncledave says:

Instead of opening the refrigerator door, try doing what I call fridge lifts, yeah, lift the refrigerator over your head ten times a day instead of opening the door looking for that cake, pizza, ice cream, chocolate, candy, whip cream, cola, pie, frozen bon-bons, etc.

March 16, 2014 at 6:31 am
(38) Oleg says:

Maybe he should start a dietary eating habit before considering exercise. I think it’s more helpful to him at this phase.