1. Health
Paige Waehner

Do you need an exercise intervention?

By June 8, 2011

If you've ever slogged through a workout, your eyes drifting to the clock for the umpteenth time wondering when you can finally stop, you've experienced that soul-sucking moment every exerciser faces: Burnout.

Sometimes, you keep going and bounce back the next day. Other times, that sluggishness pervades every workout, leaving you with a vague dissatisfaction despite finishing your workouts.

We often rely on different elements of self-motivation - discipline, commitment, routine - but that routine can sometimes turn into a rut and you end up going through the motions, forgetting what it is you're working so hard to accomplish (and, perhaps, not realizing that you're not accomplishing anything).

If that sounds familiar, staging an exercise intervention may be what you need to rebuild your enthusiasm for exercise. Some questions to ask yourself:

• Am I enjoying my workouts? - Do you remember the last time you really got into your workout? Or the last time you got halfway through your workout and thought - I could do this all day!
  • Does my body feel good when I exercise? - Veteran exercisers can often muscle through a workout, even if they're tired or sore. But, when was the last time you felt fresh and strong? When was the last time you felt energized?
  • What do I need to feel good right now? - This is a great question to ask if you're having a sluggish, lackluster workout. Sometimes the answer is to stop, stretch and move on.

Exercise interventions can be as small as skipping the day's workout or as big as reinventing your entire workout program. The key is to recognize when you need an intervention and take charge before burnout can set in.

What do you think? Do you need an exercise intervention? What do you do when the love is gone? Leave a comment and tell us about it.

Comments
June 8, 2011 at 9:05 am
(1) Moonsilver says:

I alternate routines. I might do a dance class one day, then step class another, then boxing the next. But if I really get burned out the best thing to do it just get outside and walk. It kind of gives me a new perspective.

June 8, 2011 at 1:37 pm
(2) bev says:

I do believe variety is the spice of life. I’m blessed to have several forms of workout equiement in my home(Total Gym, Ab machine,etc). I also have several DVD workouts. When I get burned out on one I change to another. I find myself getting on my Total Gym mostly. I call it my lazy day workout.You get a lot of bang for your buck(weights, strengthing and cardio) in a very short amount of time. It really helps if my legs are tired and I don’t feel like jumping around.

June 8, 2011 at 3:01 pm
(3) Csmith says:

I belong to a gym and have 2 cardio machines at home. (Elliptical and Incline Trainer/Treadmill) I do my strength training at the gym and cardio at home. This gives me a change up every day which seems to help. I definitely have to change up routines all the time. Sometimes a tape (FIRM or Step Tape) or a bike ride outside also helps mix it up. If I didn’t, I’d get bored and probably stop doing anything.

June 8, 2011 at 9:59 pm
(4) Rich says:

When I hit a bad day, I cut the weight on each exercise by 5%. Makes me feel like Superman

June 12, 2011 at 7:46 pm
(5) Oliver says:

I totally agree. Sometimes I need to take a break from my home gym and go to another gym where they have a variety of exercises which relieves boredom.

June 14, 2011 at 5:36 am
(6) thumper says:

This holds true to me with a Capital T. I have a pull up bar and a 2 16lb dumbells. I cold get fit using those, but there are only so many push ups and negative chin ups in the world. I went to the gym with my bro and hit the bench. I was ready for more, and I get really bored easily. Do whats fun, , chabge equipment, or suck it up and keep going.

June 14, 2011 at 3:45 pm
(7) Guest says:

I used to suffer from meltdowns when I did treadmill or elliptical every day. So I started taking a variety of classes, and exercise has been fun ever since.

June 18, 2011 at 6:12 am
(8) EllenLV says:

YouTube is your friend, I just type in what I feel like that day, “aerobics, dance, cardio etc”, and it gives me a choice, you can pick your length of time, (most are 10 mins) and alternate, great way to stay fit and have fun. Love YouTube and it is FREE!

July 9, 2011 at 10:45 am