1. Health
Paige Waehner

How to Increase Your Metabolism

By August 11, 2011

If you've ever tried to lose weight, you've probably spent some time thinking about your metabolism, specifically, wondering if it's too slow and if there's anything you can do about it. In fact, a lot of us do something that can actually slow the metabolism down: Go on a diet. Diet without exercise is just one way to make your metabolism unhappy. Another? Skipping meals or avoiding breakfast.

The nice thing about your BMR is that it isn't the only player in the game. In fact, it's just one part of your total energy expenditure (TEE), the others being exercise and physical activity as well as the thermic effect of food.

You can actually manipulate some of these components to raise your metabolism and increase your TEE and you probably won't be terribly surprised by what these components are: Doing regular cardio, lifting weights and avoiding overly restrictive diets.

You can learn more in my latest article, brilliantly titled How to Rev Up Your Metabolism and be sure to leave a comment about your experiences. Have you struggled with a sluggish metabolism? Has exercised helped?

Comments
August 14, 2011 at 12:40 am
(1) Stephanie says:

Why can I never go directly to the article promised? I HATE to read this “intro” with the title “How to Increase your Metabolism” only to have to click ANOTHER link to get to the ACTUAL STORY!!!! Fail!

August 14, 2011 at 11:00 am
(2) Linda says:

Wow, Stephanie. Maybe you should’ve done a search for anger management issues. In the time it took you to write that (including all those exclamation points), you could’ve read half the article. Or, better yet, started a workout. Fail!

August 14, 2011 at 6:55 pm
(3) Ed says:

Stephanie was right. You are just manipulating hit counts here. And, your response to her lacks class…..

August 15, 2011 at 8:39 am
(4) Tony Denson says:

Back to the topic: I have done workouts for a while the way that the most programs recommend and watched my food intake (some programs call it fuel intake). Not until recently has anything really helped get me past the plateau I would hit in my weight loss every time.

But I picked up a new program that offers information that psyllium or fiber actually enhances the fuel intake to carry it on and it works!

Texas Grin: cannot resist>> allowing anger actually doe increase metabolism because it tenses muscles which burns calories. Heyyyy another program Lose Weight Stay Angry !! Naaaa I like being happy and healthy

August 15, 2011 at 10:48 am
(5) Chi-Chi says:

I also agree with Stephanie and Ed. Your response was rude–Fail to you. I will just go elsewhere in the future

August 15, 2011 at 3:56 pm
(6) Melissa says:

I’ve read a lot about diet and exercise over the years and there is always something new to learn! I’ve got the healthier eating thing down and now I’m ready to get back into my workouts. This was just another little push to keep me heading in the right direction. Thanks!!

August 15, 2011 at 4:30 pm
(7) Melissa says:

Tony-good luck getting past the plateau! Fiber is definitely beneficial to losing weight. I never would have thought I’d care so much about how much fiber I eat! lol.
I’m stuck in a rut myself. I’m pretty sure it’s self inflicted since I haven’t been watching my intake & working out as much. I’ve lost about 25-30lbs and I decided today is the day I get back on my grind :)

August 15, 2011 at 4:37 pm
(8) Chris says:

Whether I have to click once or twice to read the article is so irrelevant that it barely rates discussion. People who whine because the free gift they are given is not provided to them exactly how they want it are a perfect example of the infantile state of our culture. It’s like the baby screaming and hitting the spoon away when she is being fed because she wants a silver spoon, not a stainless steel spoon.

Grow up. You are being given free, thoughtfully written information about health and fitness. If you are unhappy about clicking twice for free content I can’t imagine how you would ever go on a run without having someone tie your shoe laces for you.

Jeeze!

August 15, 2011 at 4:51 pm
(9) old man says:

these double or triple links are hard for us to follow when you get to be my age (70 plus) we need it simplier, if it has multiple links i quit..

August 15, 2011 at 5:00 pm
(10) Mario says:

I agree with Stephanie. Click here, click there. click click click

Mario

August 15, 2011 at 5:23 pm
(11) Chris says:

It’s a simple mind over matter exercise: think of each click as a finger push-up. Alright, everybody let’s begin; stretch and click, and click, and click, feel the burn, that’s right, now the other finger; stretch and click, and click..

Another mind over matter exercise: each time you feel the urge to moan and whine like a spoiled child about how the free stuff you are getting isn’t delivered to you wrapped in a golden bow and gently placed into your hands with no effort on your part do 10 pushups, 10 situps, then jog once around the block.

Eventually the mind and body mood boost you get from each whine induced exercise session will help you loose weight, feel more fit, and, best of all, more likely to be in the proper frame of mind to welcome with thanks and appreciation the fact that there are folks out there willing to go out of their way to try and help you, even as you slap their hand away and scream at them IN ALL CAPS and with MANY EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!

Just goes to show, keeping your carcass alive for decades doesn’t necessarily mean you have attained any wisdom or humility..

August 15, 2011 at 5:38 pm
(12) Ange says:

i found that getting a lovely little terrier brought me back to life and am out of the house with my lucky guy three times a day. this has revved me up without a problem!!! Feel better, have lost some weight, and have great fun walking with Lucky

August 15, 2011 at 6:14 pm
(13) RockinFX says:

Stupid, lazy, whiny Americans should have to experience real suffering and stress. Good Lord! Ooo, ooo, ooo, I have to click *TWO* times – woe is me!!! Go put on your “Ask me how I’ve suffered!” t-shirts and pull the thumbs out of your posteriors!!

As for the article – yeah, right – we all burn calories at exactly 0.00015 Kcal per second. Please! Every body and everybody is different. To claim otherwise is disingenuous and flat out *wrong*!! I’ve had it with this blog.

August 15, 2011 at 6:17 pm
(14) ChrisSy says:

Lol!!!!! Jeez! Are we bored or something? Commenting and tearing each others personalities when you don’t even know someone! To each his own, as for me, I eat what I want, do what I want, and say what I want. My metabolism is fine at 36, damn I look good for my age! And I’ve been getting these emIls for a year and this is the first one I’ve ever actually read! Lol!

August 15, 2011 at 6:20 pm
(15) Gary says:

I believe the response was from “Linda” not the articles author. I enjoyed the article. Gary

August 15, 2011 at 8:32 pm
(16) Teresa says:

Thanks for all of the wonderful free information. I have lost 10 pounds with this 12 weeks to weight loss program when I thought I’d never be able to lose any weight. I don’t mind the clicks because the blogger could be charging me $49.95 or something for all of this information. Grow up and learn to be grateful sometimes! Good day.

August 15, 2011 at 11:49 pm
(17) Patricia says:

If I do dumb bell routines and get puffed, is that cardio as well s things such as running etc?

August 16, 2011 at 12:08 am
(18) Ed says:

Chris,

Save the blow-hard pontificating for people who are interested in your opinion. All your vitriol and self-importance doesn’t change the issue that this blog is just manipulating hit-counts.

Jeez, get a life.

August 16, 2011 at 4:22 am
(19) Linda says:

Agree… with Stephney… you dont need to click over and over to read an article and we just accept this. Everytime you click it cost you money as the internet provider decucts that new load of your bundle which keep the money for them rolling which is silly in the first case.

People dont reallize that they are over charged for a 1 single article that they read on the internet. If if you have an uncapped internet provider package. You pay for the premium…. And all we do is except it. No the first lady giving her comments are correct. It is like going to a restaurant and paying for the amount of trips the waiter does to get your food.

Here we are charged for the amount of time that the internet user click to get a different page…. if you had a counter at the bottom telling what the page just cost you, I am sure you will definately start to complain as well.

August 16, 2011 at 8:58 am
(20) Zany says:

Wow! If you’re going to blame anybody, blame About.com. The guides here have to follow the system and don’t have much say in things, from what I understand.

And for those complaining about having to click: you’re getting *free* information. It costs money to run a website. A lot of money. How much would you be willing to pay to have to click less or have the site ad-free? I’m guessing you’d go find another site that’s free… ;-)

August 16, 2011 at 9:43 am
(21) Judy Ryan says:

Wow! I’m sorry Paige has to read all this as I’m sure she works hard on her articles. I agree with Chris – we as a society complain too much over the smallest things – I’m including myself in that. I think we just notice it more when someone else does it rather than ourselves. It would be a very long article if you including all the info that you have to click on. This way, you can click on what you want and leave the rest. I appreciate the free information.

August 16, 2011 at 9:44 am
(22) KristalP says:

Nothing in life is *free*. I don’t have all day to sit at the computer clicking link after link after link waiting for pages to load up every time. All of this nonsense eats away at your patience..among other things….

August 16, 2011 at 5:08 pm
(23) Christine says:

I have to say, I’m a bit horrified at these comment threads. I wish we could stick to the topics of health and fitness. Although I have to “click” a few times, I find the information provided helpful and informative.

August 21, 2011 at 9:28 pm
(24) BB says:

I agree – I want to go straight to the article. Don’t want to have to repeat click.

August 23, 2011 at 9:04 am
(25) Mike M. says:

Stephanie, Linda and Ed: Stay on topic. There’s plenty of other forums out there where you can speak your onions.

September 7, 2011 at 7:13 am
(26) Steph says:

Thanks for all those comments about how many times we’ve had to click just to read the article…Come again? What was the article again!? I’ve just forgotten what I’ve read after reading through all that gunk.

My point is, get to the point people. And follow the KISS formula. (Keep It Simple Stupid).

September 24, 2011 at 1:42 pm
(27) Joanne Striegler says:

I just glanced at the comments and read the first ones. Why in the world did anyone comment on the comment in the first place? I will not read the entries again from this site because of this stupid bickering.
]oanne