1. Health
Paige Waehner

Vote: Have you ever gained weight after starting an exercise program?

By April 30, 2012

"You lied to me!" That's what a client, having worked with me for exactly 2 sessions, texted me one day, along with an angry emoticon that made me sit up and take notice. I admit, I do tell lies sometimes...small lies, like "You're really going to like this exercise!" Knowing they'll hate it, or "You'll be so glad you did this exercise some day!" Knowing that may be 6 months from now. But, beyond that, I couldn't imagine a lie so heinous as to require an angry emoticon.

When I asked what she was talking about, she said, "You said exercise was necessary for weight loss and I've gained 3 pounds. THREE!"

The all caps told me this was serious and reminded me of something I should tell all of my weight loss clients: Namely, that it's normal to gain a little weight when you start exercising.

I've written quite a bit about this phenomenon (I just started exercising...why am I gaining weight?, Why Can't I Lose Weight?, and What to Do If You're Not Losing Weight, just to name a few) but it can be quite frustrating. Even if you know how common it is and that it does, eventually, reverse itself if you watch your diet, it's still extra numbers on the scale that shouldn't be there after all that hard work.

I eventually calmed her down (although my smiley-face emoticon didn't go over so well) and she's slowly starting to believe me, now that her weight is changing. However, she had a tough time with it as we waited for her body to respond to our workouts and the weight loss to kick in.

I'm curious about your experiences. Have you ever gained weight after starting an exercise program? If so, what did you do about it? Vote in this week's poll and tell us about your experiences with exercise and weight gain.

Comments
April 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm
(1) scout09 (the real one) says:

Yes, but I was also losing inches. The weight gain, I assume, was due to an increase in muscle.

April 30, 2012 at 5:09 pm
(2) Dawn says:

diagnosed with hypothyroid

May 1, 2012 at 12:30 am
(3) lahope says:

When I started spinning I would be starving all the time. I had to figure out how to adjust my eating to my new activity. Recently I added a really vigorous yoga class twice a week in the evening. Sure enough, when I get home after 7:30 when the class ends, I’m ravenous. I generally don’t eat after 7pm so I’ve added about 3 unwanted pounds. I have to figure out the least amount I can eat to feel satiated without totally pigging out. Maybe a cup of bean or lentil soup is the answer.

May 3, 2012 at 4:18 am
(4) upma says:

I have started workout and seems my tummy has grown though i dont eat much..:( m worried too.

May 3, 2012 at 8:52 pm
(5) Linda Lee says:

Pole Fitness Classes can cause this to happen for some people. If they are looking to loose weight they often find themselves loosing inches and clothing sizes before weight. If they are not needing to loose weight sometimes there is a weight gain with the added muscles! Most find it’s all good!

May 7, 2012 at 5:16 pm
(6) con10t777 says:

I worked out with a professional trainer three times a week–sweating buckets, so shaky I could barely get into the car to drive home–REAL work outs and I also didn’t change my eating habits (i.e., I didn’t eat MORE food than usual or say “Hey, I worked out so I’m going to have a cheeseburger and shake”) and nothing, literally nothing! When my 6-month commitment with him was over, I was DONE DONE DONE.

Now that I am NOT working out with him, I am ALSO not gaining–which I guess I’m grateful for, but why nothing after all that hard work? And if that hard work is not going to do it–WHAT IS? Am I going to have to work out two hours a day? I’m supposed to get eight hours of sleep, get ready for and work a full time job, commute back and forth, plan and prepare HEALTHY meals, AND work out for TWO hours? I’d have less than four hours left per day to perform the rest of my day-to-day responsibilities. Who has that kind of energy?!!

My thyroid is fine; my calorie intake is normal–(i.e., following Weight Watchers, focusing on power foods, measuring portions, etc.); but my body has clung on to and is still clinging on to the 50+ pounds I need to drop to be “normal.” I’ve been on a two pound up/down plateau for over two years (and I was told the scale can be off as much as one pound from weigh in to weigh in). Is this refusal to lose the result of stress? Maybe menopause? I’m in my early fifties.

Thoroughly tired of trying to figure it out. Just keep putting one baby footstep in front of the other. And tell myself “at least you’re not gaining . . . at least you’re not gaining . . .

May 7, 2012 at 10:03 pm
(7) shell64 says:

When I started exercising I gained weight, I had wanted to lose 8 pounds and I ended up gaining. One thing I know for sure is that my appetite increased.

May 8, 2012 at 10:46 am
(8) stacy says:

When I increased my exercise level and went from 3 workouts per week to 6, The scale didn’t budge. It was very frustrating to say THE LEAST! but I knew that eventually the weight loss would happen.

May 8, 2012 at 3:00 pm
(9) James says:

This is very common, exercise of any kind will produce muscle as a response, even in women. But after a week or so weight loss will occur. You just have to stick at it. I have lost two stone in three months but because I did a lot of cycling I put on a lot of muscle on my thighs, I gained about three inches and about an inch and a half on my calves, I now have fantastic legs. I lost six inches from my waist and three inches from hips and fatty chest. I’m not finished yet, I have another ten pounds to go. A combination of Diet and Exercise is the only way. Exercise alone wont work.

May 10, 2012 at 9:08 am
(10) Debbie says:

I have been exercising 5-6 days a week since Aug. 2011. I’ve changed my diet drastically….started following weight watchers. Actually joined for 3 months….I workout on the treadmill, elliptical, bike or rower for 30 minutes…. (I also road cycle)then do strength training for another 10-20 minutes. I have only lost 3 pounds and still have almost 30 to go…..which is what I had in August……I really don’t know what else to do to drop the 30 pounds.

May 15, 2012 at 12:28 pm
(11) blstan says:

before i started working out, i weighed 180 lbs. after 12 months of working out at a gym (a mix of cardio and weights, 60 minutes a day, 5 days a week) i gained 20 lbs. i’m totally convinced it was all muscle mass. i was skinny before i started and definitely changed my body appearance from working out.

May 17, 2012 at 10:40 pm
(12) Beezy says:

Too bad people don’t get it that is is NORMAL and GOOD to gain in the beginning- they are building muscle @ this time! Then they get frustrated and stop! RIGHT before the “magic” happens! (the magic being their newly boosted metabolisms-the gained muscle!) This is sooo frustrating, because people are so stuck on the # on the damn scale… What they all need is pictures. Pictures of people that’re the SAME heighth and weight, yet look COMPLETELY different, because one is at 17% bodyfat, and the other is 49% bodyfat… *sigh*

May 29, 2012 at 10:15 am
(13) Maddie Smith says:

Yes, I am in that situation right now and was feeling a bit disheartened wondering whether to give up or keep plugging on. I know I have lost weight before by watching my calorie intake and that exercise helped but I have thrown myself full hearted into a work out regime and I thought the weight would drop off, but no, shock horror, I have gained weight, ALTHOUGH, I am loving my new toned up shape. So what do I do keep going? Help I dont want to keep gaining and gaining, or give up the work outs, go back to calorie counting knowing the weight will come off but not feel as good as I do at the moment?

May 29, 2012 at 8:19 pm
(14) Roberta says:

I began a week ago to ride my bicycle. After 7 1-hour rides, I’m 4 lbs heavier. I’ll keep going because I know I’ll start losing weight soon. My eating habits are about the same since my body is asking me to feed it. Once my metabolism finds its balance, which I am expecting to occur after the first month, I will eat less and continue to pedal away.

June 11, 2012 at 1:27 am
(15) Sammyj says:

If you are not loosing weight after atleast one year of consistent exercising and watching your diet then I guess its trans fat or other bad stuff from processed food stored in your body.

June 26, 2012 at 11:48 pm
(16) Alisha says:

Thank you @Beezy for your comment, it put it all into perspective for me.

I KNEW this going in, and told myself that I would weight myself at the behinning, and not do it again for 6 months, just for comparisons sake. My goal was to feel healthy, and to have my clothes fit comfortably, as well as shrink a few sizes.

I’m 5’6, I have a larger sized frame, and weighed in at about 195lbs with my shoes and clothes on when I started.

I started upping my daily activities, walking an additional 2.4km in my daily commutes. 5 days a week I spend 30 minutes on the elliptical,and I work out hard enough to be dripping sweat. (It feels good to know I am cleansing my self!) I follow this with at least 15 minutes weights. Last week I even walked home twice, 4km in under an hour.

Diet wise, I eat healthy… this is not a diet for me, but a lifestyle adjustment. I’ve always been a pretty healthy eater, I was just not active enough, and indulged too often in bad foods. I know my body doesn’t handle sugar or carbs well, and now feed into these cravings with healthy choices. I also try and eat organic, free range non-medicated foods.

I, against alllll better self judgement weighed myself yesterday, exactly three weeks since my more active lifestyle commenced. I had gained 3lbs. Whaaaat the fudge?

So while I know why, its still good to reiterate why., so I thank you all for your advice and comments. I went back to the gym and worked-out even harder today. I am not giving up now that I’ve made it this far.

Best of luck to all those who are also trying to better themselves!

We an do it!

July 10, 2012 at 10:07 am
(17) bethany says:

Ok kids, listen up… you are eating processed crap and that is why you body appears to not be changing. It is, but it isn’t. While you are losing weight, you are also regaining it. If you are on prescription medication, that can also be the culprit. Go to http://www.globalhealingcenter.com and read about their successful cleansing kits. Juice, juice, juice… I cannot stress that enough. Do a colon and liver cleanse, likely a few times over the course of the next year… respond and thank me.

July 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm
(18) Nhalden says:

@ con10t777 – I am 95% sure I know exactly what your problem is.

You are diabetic.
I won’t speculate as to what type but if you are aware I would bet that you may inject yourself with insuline. – if not the same theory will apply.

What’s happening is your body doesn’t know how to process sugar. It want’s to store calories instead of use them. EVEN IF YOU WORKOUT VERY HARD…it doesn’t matter especially if you are taking injections or have a pump.

The otherside of that coin is that you have restricted your caloires too much, again, not allowing your body to regulate it’s sugar processes.

THE BEST THING TO DO – go to a doctor and be tested for diabetes if you have not been diagnosed already.
THE SECOND BEST THING – once a diagnosis is given…start your exercise program again…and have your diet and sugar levels planned for you.

I had a client that would never lose weight…worked out a boot camp hard for 3 months..was diabetic. She had a pump. was pumping all the time during the sessions. She complained I told her it’s “her” that she needed to see her dr. Eventaully she did. the doc said her levels were vastly iimproved and took her insulin level WAY WAY DOWN. She was pumping in so much insulin that her body was shutting down. She lost 12 lbs in 2 weeks after the adjustment, and continued to lose consistently after that.

GET CHECKED

July 21, 2012 at 10:46 pm
(19) Renee says:

I have been working out on the elliptical,and the treadmill 3 to 4 times per week for a month with a one pound total weight loss . In addition I do some strength training lifting weights, nothing crazy. It was hard but I worked myself up to 5k run. I am diagnosed with low thyroid but I’m on medicine. It’s hard to stay on a 1600-1800 cal diet but I do…barely. All of this is very frustrating when the scale doesn’t move!! What’s keeping me going is that I see a difference in my face, is not so pudgy, arms and legs more muscular etc. oh I forgot to say I am 47 and 40 pounds over.

July 22, 2012 at 1:31 am
(20) Jodi says:

I was in a car accident 4 1/2 years ago that left me with some pretty unmanagable chronic backpain. For 4 years I lived what was basically a strictly sedentary life. Slowly but surely I gained 30 lbs. About a 1/2 a year ago I FINALLY started to improve and feel like I was healing so I started moving more, walking some, standing occasionally… This summer I really started to feel almost normal so I started doing some aerobic activity for an hour a day. (I still can’t handle much more than that… Sometimes I’ll do a bike ride or a walk in addition to my workout but that’s pretty rare…)

I have gained 5 more lbs and it certainly looks like fat. Prior to my accident I had on 2 separate occasions gained an unwanted 10 or so lbs and worked out and lost it in about a month both times. I knew this time would be harder because there is substantially more weight to lose but I didn’t expect, a month and a half in of FINALLY being able to work on my health again, to barely be able to squeeze into jeans that fit when I started working out 2 months ago. I am at a loss. I really expected to have lost a couple of pounds by now…

How does one go from literally not moving at all, to getting an hour of cardio in every day (I mean this is a sweating, panting work out…) and not see any change at all? At least a pound or two would be encouraging but to be GAINING? It is discouraging to say the least. :(

July 23, 2012 at 1:01 am
(21) lexieshurricane says:

I am so frustrated. I spent a horrible time dieting and have since stopped and tried everything to break a plateau working out. Watching diet etc and all I’ve done is GAIN weight … 8 lbs in 2 weeks… Really???? This is ridiculous… Pls someone tell me this is gonna change

July 24, 2012 at 9:50 am
(22) Pam says:

Yes, I gained a little weight, but my pants were getting a little roomier in the seat and thighs.

July 25, 2012 at 11:36 pm
(23) brianna says:

I’ve been on a diet for over a month and hit a plateau at end of week 4, I am stressed but i decided to join a gym and have been working out everyday and very hard after the first few days i lost 3 pounds by Sunday but regained by Wednesday it really sucks and it is frustrating but i plan to keep trying because its all i ever wanted was to be at a normal weight i do cardio and weight training as well as a zumba class which is a lot of fun i also just started walking up 160 stairs and 10 sets of them every Sunday

August 2, 2012 at 6:21 pm
(24) Gayle says:

Thanks for all the helpful tips. My husband and I started working out with a goal to lose weight right after Christmas. We found an excellent trainer to help us get started. We trained with him for about 3 months. I lost 14 pounds while working with the trainer as well as tracking my calories. I have continued to lose slowly but steadily so my total loss so far is up to 21 pounds. I’m 5’5″ and my starting weight was 155lb. That puts me at 134lbs now but my new goal is to focus on body fat percentage. I would like to reach 21% bf. I’ve really enjoyed the process and my diet, though not all that bad before, has improved tremendously. I’m eating clean–real food, not processed; much less sugar, staying under 50gm most days; organic fruits and vegetables when possible; and staying well-hydrated with 8-10 cups of water a day, some days more. I answered the poll question “not sure” because I wouldn’t weigh myself until my trainer weighed me. That was about every 2 weeks and then after finishing up with the trainer, I’ve weighed about every 1-2 weeks but keeping in mind it’s not about the scale. It’s about how your clothes fit and how you feel about yourself. Good luck to everyone. May you achieve your goals.

August 3, 2012 at 8:01 am
(25) Lucy Crawford says:

For the past 3 years I’ve done bodypump, combat, attack & spin…2 classes 5 days a week. Ive been trying to lose half a stone since this time but my weight fluctuates, still ideal weight for height but can never get it to my goal weight. All the exercising does make me hungry though, and if I could give up chocolate I’m sure I’d make it. I just seem to get harder & firmer, which is good but want to get smaller

August 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm
(26) shelley says:

I am 60 and hyporthroid, taking synthroid since Nov 2011. I exercise 3 times a week, cycle and watch my diet. I can’t lose weight but gained. I retain water due to meds, am frustrated. I wear size 12 can’t get red of my mid section. I never know to eat more or less. I must have muscle, my legs are great. My major problem is the mid section. How can I get rid of it. It bugs me. Pls reply.

August 14, 2012 at 9:15 am
(27) dancer23 says:

I’m actually in that stage right now and it’s kind of making me very discouraged with myself.

August 19, 2012 at 7:07 am
(28) Ash says:

Yes, and I’ve kept at it, and I just keep gaining weight.

I’m really resenting this whole exercise thing now. I used to be between 52kg and 54kg, but now I’m 57, bordering on 58. I have to take time out of my working day to make sure I get in a decent enough meal to keep me going in an hour, when I hit the gym after work.

And don’t even get me started on the troubles of getting to the gym after work, when my boss always wants me to work late!And the fact that it coincides with normal dinner time, which is frustrating for my starving partner at home! And that about once a week, I have one workout that makes me feel nauseous, dizzy, and generally uncomfortable!

I honestly have only one motivator left, to keep me going back to the gym, and that it that I enjoy that I’m challenging myself again. If I lose that motivator, I can’t see myself continuing with exercise, it’s just been way too much hassle.

August 19, 2012 at 9:50 am
(29) saelwen says:

I’m beginning to think it must be something to do with genetics or something for certain people. Yes I see all the proof that exercise is great for weight loss, I believe that it works for most people but it simply doesn’t for me. A year ago I decided I wanted to get healthy, though I wanted to maintain my already good weight. I started eating regular portions of veggie and protein based meals while going for runs and doing a bit of weights, pilates etc. In the first three months I went from 56kg to 59kgs but everyone kept reassuring me that you gain weight at first then you go back to your normal size or lose it so I kept going and gradually increased the exercise to an hour 4 to 5 days a week. In the next three months my weight went up to 64kgs. Yes I was stronger but none of my clothes fit anymore, my bmi was almost in the overweight section and my self esteem plumetted. I couldn’t believe that by doing everything that was recommended that this could happen.After 6 months I was sick of trying my hardest and being unhappy. I changed my exercise to only a bit of yoga and walking, and began to introduce the treats into my diet i’d denied myself and the weight just dropped off me. I lost 4kgs in 2 weeks, another 4kgs in the next month and am still gradually losing. I am now another 6 months down the track far slimmer than I have ever been in my life, I feel happy, confident and I actually feel healthier than I did before. I have no idea why my body had such a negative reaction to the exercise but from now on I’m just going to do what feels right and natural to my health and happiness instead of following others instructions.

August 23, 2012 at 1:19 am
(30) Emily says:

gained weight – am shocked. Glad to see it’s normal. I’m continuing because main purpose of exercise is blood pressure, not weight. Still, not happy.

September 4, 2012 at 7:03 pm
(31) laurie says:

I just started working out last week, I have been doing great. Working out with a trainer. 25 min., nautilus, 25 min cardio. Eating the same as I have (Weight watcher points). I have gained 3.5 lbs in 1 week. It is very discouraging. I hope this will change soon.

September 6, 2012 at 12:39 pm
(32) Annie says:

im glad i found this blog, because I am beyond frustrated.. I work out religiously about six days more week, mostly cardio, zumba and turbo fire..I also lift about twice per week. I have definitely gained like 20 lbs since last summer! I cant fit into the pants i was wearing last summer.. Its awful, and to top it off when i got weighed at the doctors, the nurse was like omg you dont look like you weight that much at all, i know its a back handed compliment, but im not happy with the numer on the scale at all. Im 5’6″, and would be happy if i was 135, but i would be fine with 140-145. UGH! Im going to try a cleanse and revamp by diet.. Its just so discourging when you spen that much time exercising, and trying to eat right. I just started Zumba so im hoping my body will adjust and start losing instead of ganing..

September 13, 2012 at 8:52 pm
(33) christy says:

I’m 49 years old and have seldom worked out throughout my life. I’ve weighed the same for the past 20 years (129 lbs) so weight wasnt the issue- after visiting a physical therapist for hip pain, he suggested I build muscle to strenghthen my back and stomach. I have been doing a few stretches, strengthening excersies and use use the elliptical 4-5 days a week for 25 minutes. I cannot believe the difference in my physique! Definately building muscle in my legs and butt- however, I have gained 4 pounds!! What!!!! I am pretty surprised, but will continue because I am astounded at the muscle tone I have received. Read somewhere that if you are not drinking enough water throughout the day while excercising- your body may retain water weight- also noted that muscle is more dense- my clothes seem to be fitting tighter- not looser as many have said but I still attribute that to a firmer butt rather than fat-

September 17, 2012 at 5:44 pm
(34) Paige says:

I have been dieting and exercising for 3 weeks now (cut my calories to 1300 a day and do cardio 5x/week weights 2x/week). I haven’t gained weight, thank god because that sounds incredibly frustrating, but I haven’t been losing very fast. I have made significant changes in my diet (eating very healthy watching portions) and exercise and I just thought I would see more of a difference in the first month. I’ve lost about 2 pounds…does it ever start dropping off any faster? Could it be that I am losing fat and gaining muscle so it’s sort of evening out? Just curious to see what people think.

September 18, 2012 at 6:56 pm
(35) Neive says:

I have always been on some type of exersize program on and off all of my life. I slightly change my eating habits for the better while working out but nothing measured or documented. Everytime I amp my workouts I gain weight and my clothes start fitting tighter. So I always quit. I stop working out and I lose the pounds and go back to my normal size. But I feel good about myself when I exersize so I put my foot down and have stuck to a program for 60 days straight (tap out XT). I am still about 6 pounds heavier than my normal weight, I didn’t do measuring but my “skinny jeans” don’t fit me anymore so I am guessing I gained inches from my legs and butt. But I feel great, and I see positive changes in my body shape. My love handles are almost gone, and there has been major changes in the fat around my waist. I surprise myself when I flex whoa I have muscles!! Last week I got fustrated and added an extra 1 hour long work out in the evenings. Alternaing cardio/weight training. I hope this helps in at least getting back into my “skinny Jeans” I have also started to really focus on my nutrition. Crossing my fingers I lose the weight I put on after I started my diet/exersize kick. Sounds funny, Know!

October 2, 2012 at 9:10 pm
(36) Taylor says:

Iv just started working out and.my tommy has grown

October 4, 2012 at 2:23 pm
(37) Danielle Balma says:

I just started working out 2 weeks ago and i have been charting my weight AND my measurements. Although I gained a pound and a half the first week, I can tell that I have been losing fat and gaining/toning muscle at about the same rate. My measurements r changing. While the numbers on the scale can be disheartening, I just look in the mirror after I weigh myself and remember that if i look close enough, i can SEE the changes. :)

October 5, 2012 at 1:22 pm
(38) Jennifer says:

@Paige, Be careful not to lower your calorie intake too much. If you’re not eating enough calories, your body can shut down your metabolism and you won’t get as great of a benefit from your workouts. Typically if your goal is to lose a lb. per week, then your calorie burn should exceed your intake by 500 calories per day. For 2 lb. loss, there should be a 1000 calorie difference. Keep at it though! Muscle does weigh more than fat and you’ve probably build up a lot. Also try varying the exercises, like working different muscle groups in different positions or increasing weights. The body can sometimes adapt to repetitive motion so its good to change things up and keep your muscles on their toes!

October 7, 2012 at 2:22 am
(39) SamAxe says:

I have lost lets say 25-30 lbs over a year but I have been stuck at around the same weight for a few months now and its driving me a bit crazy. I even amped up my excercise routine for the past week but have actually gained weight and its really bumming me out.

October 9, 2012 at 1:36 am
(40) cece says:

I started doing pilates for an hour six times a week since I havent been exercising after I lost 10 lbs from insanity. After a week of pilates I was back to my old weight meaning 10 lbs heavier, but what I did notice was that my face wasnt any bigger and so were the rest of my body. I just told myself it’s muscle gain and its impossible to gain 10lbs of fat with the food i eat which is the same amount i ate when i lost the weight. To gain a pound you also have to eat 3500 extra calories which i sure didn’t do since I count mine. I base it on measurements now and not weight because someones weight isn’t the best factor to look at and can be very discouraging. I going to continue doing pilates especially since it make me feel good and strong. :)

October 14, 2012 at 10:41 am
(41) linda says:

Hi, i’ve been reading your comments looking for advice.
Last october I started working out. Actually the summer before i started running and i lost 15 lbs. I did the couch to 5k program. Then I would run 3 or 4 times a week for an hour to train for my 5k. I added in some days of cardio workouts, the jillian michaels dvds. I trained like this until my race on thanksgiving. Then after my running partner and started working out by ourselves. During the winter I did jillian dvds like ripped in 30. I slowly ended up buying about 12 dvds including some weight training workout. I began trying to gain muscle to try and lose weight. I did a kettle bell workout and killer buns and thighs. I also go the total gym and a game for the wii my fitness trainer. I was working out about 6 days a week almost and hour everyday. i lost 5 lbs over several weeks.
Then i decided to do this strength training plan that took 30 days. It focused on doing interval running and weightlifting on the other days. I also increased my food intake because i thought that would help my metabolism with all this working out. By the end of it i gained weight and today i weight myself as gaining the 5 lbs back and extra 2 lbs. Its been a year of working out constantly. I also changed the way i eat but changing to whole grains etc. I’m a little disappointed right now but hopefully going to a new training program i will lose some weight again. I am running a 5k on thanksgiving again. I have a month to train again. I’m going to run every other day with different challenges and do some weight lifting on the other days. I will take a day off to rest. You really need to find whats works for you i guess. I tried a lot of different things. You just need to push yourself every work out and not lose hope!

October 18, 2012 at 1:12 pm
(42) Melissa says:

I started jogging/running/walking incline on my treadmill an hr or so at a time now for 3 weeks straight. My weight has fluctuated a half lb here and there but no real drop in weight, BUT! my body is definitely more solid and trim, I can feel it and people have noticed! Got to be losing fat but gaining muscle! My thighs are less jiggly, even my arms are looking more toned and my face is getting thinner too.

November 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm
(43) scram says:

I’m at that stage now. I started excercising two weeks ago. Last week I gained 2 pounds. This week I gained another 2. Prior to excercising, I managed to maintain my weight, which tells me I’m not overeating.

I admit I was discouraged, this weekend, after reviewing the numbers on the scale.

What I do know is that I have alot more energy when I workout.

I have decided to keep going and not look at the scale for the next two weeks.

November 15, 2012 at 11:08 pm
(44) Barlet says:

I have gained 4 pounds after I started exercising a month ago. I do feel hungry after my work out which is 3 days a week .. But what I can tell u and I hope this will help is that we r not getting enough protein .. When I eat lets say a grilled steak with vegetables, I feel full for many hours.,I just get so busy sometimes and eat what I cook for my family., but I do know that if I add more protein in my diet I will start to see good results.. Good luck to all and never give up:))))

November 24, 2012 at 1:29 pm
(45) Ev says:

This happened to me and my twin sister – we both just turned 43 but in the Summer we did a 8 week challenge of JNL program….we both gained 3 lbs…..but we lost 2% body fat…..we did look more compact….muscle takes up less space!!! I also want to say that everything has High Fructose Corn Syrup…….read food labels…..this stuff is really bad and will cause you to gain weight and have hard time losing it.

November 27, 2012 at 4:39 am
(46) Louise says:

I really like Beezy’s comment as I have been running and improving my times, watching my weight and haven’t lost anything, but I have lost inches, my clothes feel better, my heart has to be healthier and I feel happy and guilt free when I do have a biscuit with my coffee.. a really great feeling! DONT GIVE UP.

December 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm
(47) Dawn says:

I’ve been exercising for two weeks now and the scale has increased a little and my middle feels heavier. Must admit, it’s the strangest thing I’ve ever come across. During that time, I was going to the gym in the mornings at 4:45am Mon. through Sat. and taking Sun. off. I’m so saddened by it that I didn’t go this morning; feel completely defeated. I’ll start back tomorrow after reading this but have to admit, my heart isn’t into it.

December 24, 2012 at 12:17 am
(48) andy says:

my goal is to gain weight, true. i was skinny my weight was 120 lbs at 5’7. i started doing weight training 5 times a week at around 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. now im at 128 lbs. i noticed a great improvement in my strength and muscle size. lately however i noticed that my abdomen got bigger … im a bit worried so i started splitting my meals but im still motivated ..i WILL reach my goal … big and muscle bound.

January 25, 2013 at 10:48 pm
(49) Nicole says:

The problem is that you are all concentrating on a number instead of your results. Throw out the scale!!! Get someone to help you take down your measurements and keep a recording of these monthly. You may actually see an increase in your legs or arms due to the muscle but should see a decrease in your waist. Also, muscle weighs more than fat so it is common to see an increase in weight at first. But, after you have developed this underlying muscle, it will help you burn calories more efficiently. To change your body you HAVE to change your eating habits along with cardio and weight training. If you don’t incorporate weight training into your workout, only cardio, you will loose but weight training will allow your body to burn more calories even hours after your workout. Look at food as fuel for your body, you get out what you put in. Don’t look at it as being on a “diet”. It is a lifestyle change, there are so many good and nutritious foods out there that have so many benefits, taste great, and will make your body feel so much better by giving you natural energy. The internet is a great source at your fingertips to find all kinds of recipes and ideas on what to eat. Just remember to stick to it and change takes time! Good luck to everyone on their journey!

February 20, 2013 at 12:22 pm
(50) Adam says:

This is happening to me as we speak and it does not make sense to me. I changed my eating habits over a 1 1/2 years ago and with that I lost 68 lbs. I was actually at my ideal weight. I started working out to try and bring my body back to what it was in my teen years and increase my metabolism. I have been working out now for 2 months. I however have in the last 4 weeks gained 10lbs and I never increased my calories and still eat the same as I was doing. Yet I am now gaining a pound a day? Yes muscle size went up , and yes muscles weighs more then fat, however its not muscle Im seeing increase my waist and stomach size. My thyroid was tested about 4 months ago and was normal levels. So this is not the issue. However I am lost on why my body seems to want to put on more weight then seems normal from working out . My goal was to tighten everything and have muscle tone not to bulk up or magically get the belly I lost back.

If anyone can truthfully explain why it seems I’m seeing the opposite happen please let me know and thank you!

April 9, 2013 at 9:15 pm
(51) Germ says:

The first week I started going to the gym. I gained 3 pounds! I was pissed! But I didn’t quit, the fallowing week on my weigh in I lost 6 pounds! I look back at that moment and it was a turning point in my struggle with weight loss. Am 40 pounds lighter and still loosing.

April 17, 2013 at 7:22 pm
(52) mel says:

I want to cry. Ive been working out for a month 3-4 days a week for over an hour and dieting. I havent touched fast food in two months and i used to eat it every day. I was a disgusting 263 lbs and have drastically increased each week since working out and am now 287. Something is wrong. I am taking my lunches to work, cooking my own dinner, and eating granola in the morning instead of a mcdonalds steak bagel. Why is my hard work being rewarded with my first weight gain in two years

April 26, 2013 at 10:18 am
(53) Frau says:

Yes, Can’t say positive results, but can’t say negative results. I have gained 3 lbs, lost 3 lbs, gained 3 lbs, lost 3 lbs, etc.
Exercise alone will not help you to lose weight; change in diet (lower calories) is most important. Exercise helps you tone as you lose weight.
Exercise does make you feel better physically and mentally and for some people feel they are entitled to eat more, which goes against the grain if you want to lose weight. If you’re doing it to maintain or just to get your ticker going, don’t expect weight loss results, but you can expect to feel much better about yourself and more energy to do other things.

July 14, 2013 at 4:32 pm
(54) Matt says:

I’ve begun to walk 3 miles every day in the morning, and 1 mile in the evening. I started about 4 weeks ago. Since then, I’ve gained 5 pounds. I’ve been eating a waffle with no syrup or butter for breakfast, a slice of watermelon for lunch, and a salad for dinner. Usually nothing else. But since I’ve started this diet program, I’ve gained 5 pounds?! How is this even possible?

November 11, 2013 at 7:08 am
(55) Wow says:

Please don’t troll, Bethany (#17) and Matt (#54), you need to eat more than that. Your body needs energy.

November 22, 2013 at 11:24 am
(56) Sunnymoms says:

I’m gaining weight…or not going down more than a pound and up again, but I’m getting stronger, have more stamina and my measurements are improving.

February 14, 2014 at 10:36 am
(57) Miguel says:

Lost 87 pounds on diet and walking. From 5XL to XL. Lost 12 inches to the belly. Started doing 120 minutes a day at 15.5 miles per hour on stationary bicycle and 600 crunches also per day. gained 17 pounds and 2 inches of the gut. (In 3weeks time) Same damn diet. 1,300 to1,500 calories. Blaaaaaaaaaa

February 26, 2014 at 10:48 am
(58) LISA says:

Yes, and I’m baffled. Not sure what’s going on with my body. Not only did I gain 5 pounds, my stomach is also getting bigger. I also checked to make sure I wasn’t pregnant

March 19, 2014 at 6:33 pm
(59) Igor says:

I did put on some extra weight,and that is due to gaining muscle mass

March 27, 2014 at 6:32 am
(60) Diane says:

I have always been slim and maintained the same weight all my life. I am 62 have started pilates and swimming every week and have gained 3lbs something I have never done before – odd. Can anyone explain it?