1. Health
Paige Waehner

Are You Waiting for the Perfect Time to Exercise?

By June 4, 2012

In a recent conversation with my husband, I mentioned my desire to clean out the basement, noting that I was planning on doing it as soon as I had more time. My husband, seeing that I was sitting on the couch reading a magazine, inquired, "How about now?"

"Now?" I scoffed. "I'm not ready right now. I would have to change clothes and," I looked at my watch, "I only have an hour before we're leaving. How much could I really get done in an hour. Plus, shouldn't we wait until a rainy day or the proper planetary alignment or something?"

"You can get a lot done in an hour," my husband said reasonably. So, of course, I stuck my tongue out at him and went back to reading my magazine.

Still, a part of me had to wonder, why don't I just do it? We often end up asking ourselves that same question about exercise as we wait for the perfect time to do it: The right time of day, the right clothes and shoes, the right workout, the right amount of time...the perfect circumstances for the perfect workout.

However, having all these rules limits us to only one kind of workout - Often long, sweaty, complicated and, in our minds, the only kind worth doing. But, when you think about it, there are any number of exercises you could do at any given time that require nothing more than a few minutes and your body; A short walk, a quick set of squats, a 30-second plank, and the list goes on.

So, why don't we do it? The reasons aren't always obvious, but you'll find a few ideas in my article, Are You Waiting for the Perfect Time to Exercise?

Be sure to leave a comment about your experiences. Do you ever wait for the perfect time to exercise, only to find it never comes? What could you, or would you, do if you set aside the rules and did something right now? Leave a comment and tell us what you think.

Comments
March 13, 2008 at 4:29 pm
(1) Ted Potter says:

My theory is that everyone has a “best” time of day to exercise. Mine is first thing in the morning and is proven by my track record. If you have an excuse ask your self if it can stand up to the well known fact that HEALTH comes before ALL else, a fact any sick person will confirm.

March 13, 2008 at 10:42 pm
(2) Ivan says:

I agree wholeheartedly with Ted. The only time I postpone for a while my morning workout is when my wife. after taking the kid to school, asks ‘wink,wink; nudge, nudge’ if I’d rather do something else first.

March 14, 2008 at 12:45 am
(3) Nancy says:

I agree with both of you Ted & Ivan, you guys have your priorities ‘right’

March 17, 2008 at 5:16 pm
(4) George says:

There are two good reasons not to put off exercise – one is it keeps you young and the second reason which is connected to the first reason it could possibly increase one’s sex appeal. I say possibly. And that be the best reason of all.

March 18, 2008 at 11:37 am
(5) Greg says:

I started working out when I was 58 and was amazed at how fast my body turned back the years. After only a few weeks and a few minutes a day my body tuned into that of a healthy 30 year old. I am now 63 and still have a body of a 30 year old. I don’t know how long it will last but I’m going to keep it up (so to speak) until the day I die.

June 5, 2012 at 3:34 am
(6) TrainerMike says:

I think there are 2 take home points here. First, although there may be a “best” time to workout in theory, the reality is the best time to do it is whenever you can. Second, one thing I’ve learned over the years is that little things add up. As you mentioned, you don’t need a long, intense workout to make positive changes. If you’re limited, just do the best you can!