1. Health
Paige Waehner

Vote in This Week's Poll: Will you indulge in Halloween candy this year?

By October 29, 2012

Every year, our Walking Guide, Wendy, posts her Halloween Treats Calorie Calculator, which is such a joy to read. For example, it's thrilling to know that eating 25 small jellybeans, a Fun Size candy bar (which is too small to be called fun, but whatever) and 2 Hershey's Kisses, will require me to walk 2.7 miles, if I want to work off those calories.

I've decided that this calorie calculator is the scariest thing I'll see this Halloween.

Still, as scary as it is to see just how easy it is to blow your diet with just a few pieces of candy, it's also helpful to know this information. Now, you can pick and choose how you want to spend your calories instead of wasting them on something that probably isn't worth it. Tootsie Rolls come to mind here, but I know some people love them.

You can also use these tips to avoid blowing your diet this Halloween:

• Only hand out candy you don't like - You know you're only going to eat a thousand of those Fun Size Snickers, but the Candy Corn? Probably not so much.
  • Get rid of all candy within 24-48 hours - That doesn't mean you eat it all within that time period, of course.
  • Don't keep a secret stash - Because I will find it and I will eat it.

What about you? Will you indulge in Halloween candy this year or have you found a way to avoid it? Vote in this week's poll and tell us how you'll handle Halloween.

Connect: Facebook | Twitter: @AboutExercise

Comments
October 31, 2011 at 11:27 am
(1) Brooke says:

YesYesYesYesYes!!!! Yayyyy I’m so glad Halloween is here!

October 31, 2011 at 2:32 pm
(2) scout09 says:

No. I’m more of a savory person than a sweets person and I don’t really care for chocolate at all.

October 31, 2011 at 4:11 pm
(3) Sue says:

For many years now I have purchased the small boxes of raisins to hand out to trick-or-treaters. Any leftovers can be used on my morning cereal, without guilt! :)

October 29, 2012 at 5:58 pm
(4) Molly says:

I voted “other” in the poll because my teeth feel like they have cavities and the thought of candy just makes them ache that much more. The dark side of sugar!

October 29, 2012 at 6:18 pm
(5) Staci says:

No I will not. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE chocolate – but since I have overindulged this entire year, and have FINALLY begun to get my diet back on track, I will NOT give in to the temptation. It’s too darn hard to work that stuff OFF!!

November 5, 2012 at 8:07 pm
(6) Loring says:

Normally, I would. However, we have a 1 year old Golden Retriever puppy and a 4 year old Golden who LOVE to greet people at the door. We also have a 12 year old Golden who is lame, also loves visitors but gets knocked over by the other two. Not to mention the 5 house-cats…and coyotes in the hills behind us. And I’m really really really going to lose the weight this year. I am. Really.

SO….I use the animals as a great excuse for not keeping any Halloween candy in the house – too hard to answer the door for trick or treaters with my menagerie.

Funny…my dogs also make me get out & walk regularly – they are just too nutty if they don’t get exercise. Conclusion: Dogs are great for weight loss!