Making the decision to exercise is easy. It gets more complicated when you actually have to do it, the biggest question being: Where are you going to exercise? It's easy to join a gym, of course, but it's also easy to pay for that membership while never using it. It's also easy to set up a home gym and, of course, even easier to find a hundred other things more important than your workout - Laundry, Angry Birds, cleaning the lint from your belly button, etc.
There are some good reasons to join a gym, such as:
- Variety and options - It's often more motivating when you have several options to choose from - Cardio machines, free weights, fitness classes, the pool, etc.
- Motivation - Paying for a gym membership can be motivating, but there's also the energy you get from working out around other people. You can pick up on that friendly competitive vibe that you won't get working out alone.
- Focus - There's not much to do at the gym but exercise (well, there is the hot tub, I guess), which can help you stay focused on your workouts. There are no chores staring you in the face, no kids interrupting you and nothing to tempt you away from your workouts.
Working out at home has its own benefits, such as:
- It's Cheaper - There's no membership fee and you can outfit your home gym with a few resistance bands and an exercise ball and be set to go. You could even do body weight workouts that require no equipment at all.
- Convenience - You don't have to pack a bag or drive anywhere. In fact, you could workout in your pajamas, if you wanted to...something they frown upon at the gym. You can also workout whenever you like, which is perfect if you need to split your workouts or want to workout at odd hours.
What it often comes down to is personal preference and your budget. If you're self-motivated and know you'll exercise no matter what, working out at home may be a good option. However, if you find way too many distractions (e.g., "I know I should workout, but I really need to trim my toenails"), getting out of the house may be a better choice.
What about you? Do you prefer the gym or do you workout at home? Or maybe you do both? Leave a comment and tell us what you think - gym or home?