1. Health
Paige Waehner

Vote in This Week's Poll: How will you exercise over Thanksgiving?

By November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving is a tough time for those of us trying to lose weight and, in fact, I often suggest that my clients forget about weight loss and focus more on preventing weight gain and keeping up some semblance of exercise, even if it's just some walking, over the holiday weekend.

Of course, I also suggest a variety of ways they can exercise - Short workouts, for example - And avoid holiday weight gain by, say, eating only one piece of pie instead of two. Or three. Or by avoiding high calorie things like eggnog, mixed drinks or food you can eat any old time - Chips, nuts, etc. It's usually at this point in the conversation that I'm told to take my advice and stuff it in some poor, unsuspecting turkey's behind.

Exercise is tough this time of year, so if you need a little help, stay tuned to my blog this week where I'll be offering some new workout ideas and tips for avoiding weight gain. In the meantime, vote in this week's poll and tell us about your exercise plans (or non-exercise plans) and leave a comment if you have any tips for staying fit this weekend.

Comments
November 24, 2008 at 12:30 pm
(1) catluver42 says:

Thanksgiving is not my holiday. While I am thankful for a lot, I do not eat most of the foods served. My husband and I have decided to go out somewhere this year for dinner so he can have his Thanksgiving feast and I will choose something off the menu. I need to start working out more anyway and it shouldn’t make a difference if it is a holiday.

November 24, 2008 at 12:43 pm
(2) Ted says:

I am very lucky. Right now I am doing excellent in both my diet and exercise. To show I am thankful for this success I will exercise through the holiday.

November 24, 2008 at 2:22 pm
(3) Lisa says:

Every year my brother and I run a 5 mile race on Thanksgiving morning. It is a great way to start the long weekend of eating and loafing on the couch. I can say, “I ran 5 miles today, I can have another slice of pie!”

November 24, 2008 at 2:38 pm
(4) Fitness fan says:

It seems like a mad dash through the end of the year beginning with Halloween and coming off daylight savings time at the end of Oct, Thanksgiving a few weeks later, Christmas a month after that, and then New Year’s a week later.

I will, however, exercise on holidays as I have in the past. For me, exercise is part of the celebration of life. And, exercise is relaxing and helps to un-jangle the nerves, since holidays can sometimes be times of stress, too.

Vacations:
In the first week of Dec 07, my wife and I were invited to visit in Hawaii where my nephew had his wedding ceremony. We were there for 4 days at the Grand Wailea. The hotel has an excellent workout facility, which I took advantage of the middle 2 days. During one of the sessions, Patti, my niece’s mother-in-law, stopped in when I was working out. So Patti was on the treadmill while I was on the elliptical. It gave us a chance to chat on a more personal level. My wife skipped her workouts, but we went sight-seeing every day, so we were always on the move.

Back in August of this year, my wife and I were in Mammoth for 5 days. There was no workout facility on the premises of the condo where we were staying, but we went on hikes for two days, and walked around town whenever we weren’t on a hike. The weather was great and the scenery was beautiful.

My wife and I seem to have incorporated our diet and fitness into everything we do and everywhere we go. And for me, holidays are no exception.

November 24, 2008 at 4:01 pm
(5) Diane says:

I will be exercising. Myself and my running team are meeting 9:00 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning to run 5 miles! I think this will be a tradition for us!

November 24, 2008 at 8:40 pm
(6) Michelle says:

I do four days a week so they can easily be worked around the holiday. I’d have no issues about lifting on Thursday but I work 7- noon, Grandma’s by 2, sisters by 5, inlaws by 7pm. So… doesn’t look like I’ll have a minute to myself Thursday. But doing four days, it’s easy to work my lifting days around my schedule.

November 24, 2008 at 11:11 pm
(7) Dallas says:

I’ve always found it easy to exercise during the holidays. Whether doing a tabata workout in my room, taking a walk with a family member, or my favorite, playing football with the kids.

November 25, 2008 at 8:24 am
(8) exercise says:

It boils down to discipline. I am of the mindset that everybody else will use it as an excuse not to do anything, so I am going to exercise and be one up on everyone else! seriously though, its just another day made up of 24 hours, like any other day so no excuses. Enjoy the holiday

Keep up the good work
Maxx

November 25, 2008 at 8:31 am
(9) Staci says:

I got my AFAA certification a few months ago, so this Thanksgiving, I will be teaming up with another instructor for a 2-hour spinning class. May even get really ‘crazy’ and take a pool aerobics class afterwards.

November 20, 2012 at 9:19 am
(10) Tom says:

My plan is to try a strenuous routine of hand to mouth with feet flat under dining table. Also requires lots of hydration. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!

November 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm
(11) nascarlimey says:

Gonna just fit it around the 21 hours of Turkey Day football I’ll be watching here in England. Wanna just bust 30,000 steps on my pedometer and then see how much the device and its website will allow me to eat !! Thanks to Paige and all you guys for your inspiration and suggestions. Happy Thanksgiving to you all.