1. Health
Paige Waehner

Vote in This Week's Poll: What would get you to exercise?

By December 24, 2012

If you have trouble exercising consistently, do you ever think of a future time when you can finally take control of your health? Maybe when work slows down or as soon as the holidays are over. Maybe if you had a gym at the office or if you just had more time. With the end of the year nearly here, many of us might be thinking: When the new year starts, I'll get back to my workouts.

For many of us, there's always some better future that awaits us, a future that will somehow make exercise a lot easier than it is now. But, is that the case?

If you struggle to exercise, I'm curious to know - what would get you exercising right now? What would have to happen in your life, your work and/or your home to make exercise a reality right now? I have a few thoughts in this week's poll, but they don't cover all the options by any stretch. If you have other ideas, leave them in comments and tell us - what would make you exercise?

Comments
December 24, 2007 at 1:21 pm
(1) Tony says:

What gets me to exercise is looking and hearing fat people do simply everyday routines like walking or bending over to tie their shoes and standing up and sounding like they just ran 5 miles.Before you get in an uproar, I was up to 270lbs before i looked at myself in the mirror and did’nt recognize myself. thats when i started to start my 4mi. walks every day for the last 3mo. Now I’m at 230lbs. And i never want to be there again. So thats why when i see fat people it reminds me of where i was.

December 24, 2007 at 3:41 pm
(2) LaKeta says:

What gets me to exercise is just knowing if I don’t my health is at risk. I believe that people of all ages should take advantage of exercise because is so important in our everyday lives to move and have energy…

December 24, 2007 at 3:58 pm
(3) carolyn says:

For me, having a treadmill at home, moving to a neighborhood with good sidewalks, or having a walking trail in my neighborhood would all make a significant difference in convincing me to exercise regularly. I used to try to walk in my neighborhood but kept hurting my knees and ankles on the uneven sidewalks. I already have bad joints, and I need safe exercise.

December 24, 2007 at 4:22 pm
(4) Stefanie says:

My whole life I was never active. This year saw many wonderful changes, including a fitness schedule. I checked “OTHER” because I don’t need any of those things to make me excercise. I am addicted. I work out 5 to 7 days a week…Monday thru Friday weight lifting for three hours, and minimum three days a week cycling 60+ miles. My only problem is defending why I work out so much…it makes me feel so GOOD!

December 24, 2007 at 6:24 pm
(5) Charlie says:

I’ve been training since I was in high school. I don’t know what its like NOT to exercise!!!!!!!

December 24, 2007 at 9:13 pm
(6) Kathy says:

how about not enough hours in the day? I work full time and go to school full time, take car of an elderly parent and before I know it, it is time to go to sleep!
I know I HAVE to make time to exercise especially as the clock is ticking, I will be 52 in a few weeks!

December 25, 2007 at 1:29 am
(7) Lynda says:

I think a personal trainer would work for me (structure plus personal encouragement) but I have yet to commit because I’ve seen some that are condesending and/or push you so hard you truly injure yourself–they’re not mindful that you are not accustomed to excercise and you need to start off slow. Can’t keep up with excercise classes. What to do?

December 25, 2007 at 9:08 am
(8) Kevin says:

I finally realized I was close enough to work to commute by bike. This “fools” me somehow – I’m not exercising, I’m traveling! My goal is to get somewhere, not to ‘exercise’. I do this about 3 days a week (6, 35 to 45 minutes exercise periods). Its no more expensive than a health club, and 1/3rd of the time is a “two-fer” that is, time I’d be car driving anyway. Its tougher to do in the winter (Minnesota), I have recently purchased a used stationary bike to help fill-in when the roads are not passable or its too cold (10F or lower). You are NOT so sweaty that a little cleanup in the bathroom cant address. Its ‘interesting’ and challenging even along the same route, compared to exercises in a gym.

December 25, 2007 at 12:34 pm
(9) Jennifer says:

I never have the same schedule. Some days I’m into work at 5am and some days I’m in at 2pm. I try to always work out on the days that I head into work later, but I am not a morning person, so when I’m in at 5am, I’m home at 3 and asleep by 4. I usually wake up later and have tried to work out, but that keeps me up all night and if the next day is a 5am, I’m dragging all the way through it. I think if my schedule were more regular one way or the other, my exercise would be also.

December 26, 2007 at 6:05 am
(10) lisa says:

My Dr did tell me my health is at risk. I am lucky i work in beautiful building. going from one end to the other and back is 1/2 mile. I have two 20min breaks and 1 hour lunch. I make myself go to work a bit eary. some time durring that time i walk 2-3 miles. now i can walk 1 mile in just under 20 min. between that and eating whole grains and light on the red meet. i have lost 60 lbs. It has been just about 1 year.

December 26, 2007 at 10:56 pm
(11) Chris says:

You will only make the changes needed when you become sick and tired of being sick and tired. I’ve lost 40 lbs since June and exercise became a commitment (which I resented at times), but now I am addicted to running and lifting weights. Quit wishing, wanting, and dreaming just do something!

December 31, 2007 at 2:07 pm
(12) Pat says:

I recently moved to the big city from the ‘burbs and building exercise into my everyday life was a big factor. Here virtually everything I want is within walking distance and there are lots of interesting beaches, trails and diverse neighbourhoods to explore. In my old neighbourhood everything was a drive away – too far, no sidewalks and big ditches. Even the dog has a new lease on life!

January 1, 2008 at 11:49 am
(13) Sierra says:

One of the biggest motivators for me to exercise is have friends who are exercising as well. Not necessarily exercising with them, but talking about it. If i skipped a workout and I am talking to the girls at work,
I feel guilty telling them about it.

A really neat game for people who need a workout buddy or at least someone to talk with is Fitness Challenge. It is like a board game that encourages working out at least three times a week in competition with your friend.

January 2, 2008 at 3:39 pm
(14) Carol says:

Warmer temps. right now it is 22 degrees with gusty winds. I am active out doors all summer and fall when winter comes all I want to do is sleep. What helps me is changing up my excersize routine and doing something new and different.

January 8, 2008 at 8:04 am
(15) wesley hardy says:

i love the song

lets get physical

i dont know who it is so can anyone tell me

January 1, 2013 at 10:50 am
(16) Avi says:

I checked other because there were several options I couldn’t choose one. Fewer work hours, better weather to walk, and wish I had money to get a treadmill or elliptical for my home. Also I get lazy/ bored and feel I have so much other stuff to do I put exercise far down on the list.

January 1, 2013 at 11:47 pm
(17) Tan Weng Hooi says:

I started exercising quite regularly at 1982 after reading a book on “exercise for stamina and endurance”. I have never gone to the gym and i exercise by following the exercise routine outlined by the book; i.e. free standing exercise for the big muscle group; doing up to 20 repetition for 20 sets of exercises such as arm circling, chin high kick, burpee, star jumps, squat, kungfu punch, back kicks, superman, crunch, push up.. Now I do all thses 40 minutes of execises non stop(without rest) . Recently I add interval training 10,20,30 in the form of running on the spot(up 100). The problem I face is (1)the difficulty of raising pulse rate to 160/min. (I used to be able to raise it to 165/min. Now I am 59 years old, Chinese Malaysian, male, resting pulse rate 60/min, B/P 120/80, chest measuremnt 39.5 in, waist 33 in Height 173 cm (5’7″), weight 180 lbs, neck 17 in. (2) Being overweiht at BMI=28. I take only 3 meals a day (no alcohol or smoke). I exercise 5 times a week with one day of complete rest.. My weight seems to be stagnant at 180 lbs, so frustrating, any problems with my routine? Please advise. Thanks.