This is a strength training method in which the overload is constantly increased to facilitate adaptation. Progressive resistance is essential for building muscle and reaching goals. The body adapts to exercise and needs to be constantly challenged in order to continue to grow and change. There are many ways to achieve progressive resistance:
- Increase the weight you're lifting. Do the same number of reps and sets each week, but increase your weight.
- Increase the number of reps. Use the same weight for each workout, but increase the reps each week.
- Increase the number of sets each time you workout.
- Shorten the rest between the sets.
- Lengthen the time under tension - or how long your muscle fibers are under stress. Use the same weight and reps, but slow down the exercise. For example, 1 count to lift the weight, 3 counts to lower the weight.