Work your abs 2-3 non-consecutive days a week, taking care to target all your ab muscles:
- Rectus abdominis - ball crunches are just one way to target this muscle
- Transverse abdominis - the plank is a great way to strengthen your TVA
- Internal and external obliques - the bicycle works all your ab muscles!
How many sets/reps of ab exercises should I do?
As mentioned above, your ab muscles are just like other muscles in your body. That means you want to do between 10-16 reps of each exercise for 2-3 sets. If you've been doing abs for a while and find that you're not fatigued at the end of each set:
- Check Your Form. Don't use momentum or other body parts (like your neck or your hip flexors) to help you.
- Slow down. The slower you go, the more your muscles will work.
- Challenge yourself with different exercises.
- Try dynamic activities such as Pilates to target your abdominals in a whole new way.