Crunch With a Heel Push
- Lie on your back with the knees bent and the hands gently cradling the head.
- Flex your feet and keep them flexed as your contract the abs, lifting the shoulder blades off the floor.
- Try not to pull on the neck with your hands, but lightly support your head.
- At the top of the crunch, press your heels into the floor while pressing your back against the mat and slightly raising the glutes off the floor.
- Lower and repeat for 1-3 sets of 12-16 reps.
The crunch with a heel push looks like a traditional crunch, but in this version you push your heels into the floor, which engages the rectus abdominis muscles more than regular crunches.
View this exercise in the Best Ab Workout.