All Exercises: Pelvic Tilts on the Ball | Seated Rotations | Bird Dog | Modified Bicycle | Ball Crunch with Med Ball Throw | Plank with Knee Bends | Crunch with Gliding Discs | Side Plank | Modified Side Plank
The bird dog is a great overall core exercise that not only strengthens the abs and back, but also involves the glutes and improves balance and stability. For a more advanced version, try this move on the toes instead of on the knees.
- Begin on hands and knees with the back straight and the abs pulled in.
- Lift the right arm up until it is level with the body and parallel to the floor.
- At the same time, lift the left leg up and straighten it until it is also parallel to the floor.
- Hold for a moment, lower and repeat on the other side, this time lifting the left arm and right leg. Continue alternating sides for 1-3 sets of 10-16 reps.
- Keep the move slow and controlled and try to keep your body straight throughout the movement.