The seated torso twist is a great way to target the obliques while strengthening the core and building endurance in the hip flexors. The key to keeping this move safe and effective is to keep the back straight and the chest lifted throughout the exercise rather than hunching the shoulders, which could strain the back.
- Sit holding a medicine ball with knees bent.
- Lean back slightly, engaging the abs and keeping the back straight and the chest lifted.
- Rotate to the right, touching the medicine ball to the floor next to the hip.
- Come back to center and rotate to the left.
- Repeat, alternating sides for 1-3 sets of 10-16 reps (one rep is to the right and left).