The question often is, how much cardio should you do and what's the best way to get started? The ACSM/AHA Physical Activity Recommendations for Older Adults suggest three different options (see Figure 1 below):
- Moderate intensity cardio for 30 minutes, 5 days a week, or
- Vigorous cardio for 20 minutes, 3 days a week, or
- A mix of moderate and vigorous cardio, 3-5 days a week
Setting Up Your Cardio Workouts
The recommendations sound simple, but making them a reality can be confusing. Use these steps to set up your cardio workout:
- Choose an Activity - Pick any activity where you can work at a moderate or vigorous intensity level (or about 65% to 80% of your maximum heart rate). Choose something you enjoy, that's accessible, and that fits your needs. For example, if you have joint pain or problems, you might prefer a no-impact exercise like swimming. Other options:
- Choose How Long to Exercise - While the ACSM recommends 20-30 minutes, you may need to work up to that if you haven't exercised before. It takes time to build endurance in your heart and muscles, so start with what you can handle and add a few minutes to each workout to work your way up gradually. For example, a beginner might start with 10-15 minutes of walking or cycling and build from there.
- Choose Your Intensity - The guidelines suggest moderate intensity, which is around Level 5-6 on this perceived exertion scale. Start with a comfortable pace to get a feel for the exercise. Once you feel comfortable, you can push a little harder.
- Choose How Often You Exercise - If you're a beginner or not sure what you can handle, start with three days a week with rest days in between. You can add more days once you feel ready for more frequent exercise.
Cardio Workout Resources
Lanza I, Short D, Short K, et al. Endurance Exercise as a Countermeasure for Aging. Diabetes. 2008 November; 57(11): 2933–2942.
Nelson M, Rejeski W, Blair S, et al. Physical Activity and Public Health in Older Adults: Recommendation from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2007;116;1094-1105.
Figure 1: Cardio Guidelines for Older Adults
|Type of Exercise||Cardio||Cardio||Cardio|
|Frequency||5 Days a Week||3 Days a Week||3-5 Days a Week|
|Intensity||Moderate Intensity||Vigorous Intensity||A mix of moderate and vigorous workouts|
|Duration||30 minutes per workout/150 minutes per week||20-25 minutes per workout/75 minutes per week||20-30 Minutes|