Dips are the third most effective exercise and a tough one depending on how you position your feet. In this version, the knees are bent, making the exercise easier. Extending your feet out will increase the intensity of the exercise. The key to keeping this move safe is to keep your hips close to the chair or bench to avoid straining the shoulders. Make sure you keep the shoulders down and away from the ears and, if you feel any discomfort in the shoulders, skip this exercise.
- Sit on a chair of bench with hands just outside of the hips and the knees bent or the legs extended straight out (harder).
- Lift up onto the hands and, keeping the hips very close to the chair or bench, bend the elbows, lowering down until they're at about 90 degrees.
- Keep the elbows pointing behind you, the shoulders down and the abs engaged.
- Push back to start and repeat for 1-3 sets of 8-16 reps.
- Avoid this exercise if you feel any pain in the shoulders.
View this exercise in the Best Triceps Workout.