This functional exercise is perfect for working both the lower and upper body in one dynamic exercise. The key is to focus on form with the side lunge, making sure you send the hips back and avoid putting too much pressure on the knee. Keep the move slow and controlled and pause with each exercise. Start with a lighter weight or no weight to practice before going too heavy.
- Start with feet together, weights in hand.
- Take a wide step out to the right and bend the knee into a side lunge.
- Pause for a moment and make sure your left leg is straight, toes pointing forward, hips back and back straight.
- Focus on pushing into the heel as you step the feet back together.
- Do an upright row, bringing the elbows up to shoulder level, weights at chest level.
- Lower the weights and then do the side lunge on the left.
- Repeat the entire series for 1-3 sets of 8-16 reps.