One way to add challenge and variation to a traditional squat thrust (burpee) is to do them with different types of equipment. In this version, you'll use a BOSU Balance Trainer with the dome side down, which adds an element of instability. At the end of the movement, you can pick up the BOSU and take it over the head to add even more challenge and involve the arms and shoulders. Lifting the BOSU is very advanced and it weighs about 14 pounds, so only try this if you're an experienced exerciser, have no back problems and you can lift the BOSU with good form (knees bent, abs braced, back straight).
- Stand in front of a BOSU BT with the dome side down.
- Squat and place your hands on either side of the BOSU BT, keeping the abs engaged.
- In an explosive movement, jump the feet back so you're in a pushup position.
- Jump the feet back to starting position and, keeping the abs tight and the hips back.
- Add intensity by staying in the squat position and lifting the BOSU, pressing it overhead as you stand up. Only try this if you're an advanced exerciser.
- Lift with good form, initiating the movement from the legs rather than the back.
- Repeat for 10-20 reps or for 30-60 seconds.