Another surprise in this study was the multi-hip (or four-way) extension. This exercise (which involves that weird looking machine on a platform at the gym) targets the hamstrings as well as the gluteus maximus and medius. This machine can be a little strange to use, so get a trainer or helpful gym-goer to help you with the adjustments if you need to. How to do it:
- Stand on the platform, sideways to the roller pad and make sure the pad is up high.
- Swing the inside leg over the roller pad so that it's resting on the back of the thigh.
- Hold onto the handles to help keep your balance, and keep the abs in and the torso straight.
- Press the roller pad down with your thigh until the heel is out behind you (knee slightly bent)
- Don't arch the back!
- Slowly bring the leg back and repeat all reps before switching sides.
- Perform 1 to 3 sets of 10 to 16 reps according to your fitness level and goals.