Biceps Exercises - Strength Exercises for the Biceps
By Paige Waehner, About.com Guide
Updated September 16, 2009
About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by our Medical Review Board
The biceps curl is a traditional exercise targeting the bicep muscles. By using dumbbells, you can work both arms independently, which is a great way to work on any weaknesses you may have in your non-dominant arm.
- Stand with feet about hip-width apart, abs engaged as you hold medium-heavy dumbbells in front of the thighs.
- Squeeze the biceps and bend the arms, curling the weights up towards the shoulders.
- Keep the elbows stationary and only bring the weight as high as you can without moving the elbows.
- Slowly lower the weights, keeping a slight bend in the elbows at the bottom (e.g., don't lock the joints and try to keep tension on the muscle)
- Repeat for 1-3 sets of 8-15 reps.