The Concentration curl
is an excellent exercise for the biceps and this version, done with a barbell, adds even more intensity. With this version, you're in a bent over position, which shortens the range of motion and requires the abs and back to work harder to keep you stable. Because the range of motion is short, you'll really feel this exercise, so start with a lighter weight if you're new to this exercise.
- Sit in a chair or on a bench and hold a medium-weight barbell with hands about shoulder-width apart.
- Bend over, keeping the back flat and the abs engaged, and prop the elbows on the inside of the thighs.
- Begin the move with the arms straight, barbell hanging down to mid-shin.
- Squeeze the biceps to curl the barbell up as high as you can (the range of motion will be shorter due to your position).
- Lower back down, keeping a slight bend in the elbows at the bottom of the motion.
- Repeat for 1-3 sets of 10-16 reps.
- Keep the core strong and the back straight throughout the movement.