Chest Exercises - Pushups, Chest Presses and Chest Flies
By Paige Waehner
Updated October 08, 2011
6 of 10
Dumbbell Chest Press
Doing a chest press with dumbbells instead of a barbell can add a different element to your chest exercises, since both arms now have to work independently from one another. This is great for working both sides of the body, and the dumbbell chest press makes a nice complement to the barbell exercise.
- Lie down on a bench or step and begin with the weights in each hand straight up over the chest, palms facing out.
- Bend the elbows and lower the arms down until the elbows are just below the chest (arms should look like goal posts).
- Press the weights back up without locking the elbows and bring them close together.
- Repeat for 1 to 3 sets of 8 to 16 reps.
- Keep the abs contracted throughout the movement to protect your back.
- Keep the motion slow and controlled and try not to use momentum.