- Begin standing or sitting with elbows bent and weights next to the ears.
- Press the weights up over the head.
- Lower the weights, bringing the hands next to the ears and repeat for 1-3 sets of 10-16 reps.
- Keep the abs engaged and don't arch the back as you press the weights up.
- Try to keep the hands just slightly forward as you press up, rather than going straight overhead, which can contribute to arching the back.
- If you're using heavy weight, try this exercise while seated on a bench with back support.