- Wear shorts that are tight-fitting or go commando.
- Do this measurement near a mirror, if you're doing this yourself, to check placement of the tape.
- Find the midpoint between lower part of the glutes and the back of the knee, or the widest part of the thigh.
- Turning sideways to the mirror will help you determine if you're in the right spot.
- Wrap the tape measure around the midpoint of the thigh, pulling the tape measure so that it sits on the surface of the skin, but doesn't compress it.
- Write down your measurement and take a second one, using the average between the two for your final number.
- Give yourself a few minutes between measurements to allow your skin to regain its normal texture.
- You can also do this with the foot resting on a chair or bench, knee bent to 90 degrees.
Your Thigh Measurement
Your thigh measurement is just one more area on the body that helps give you an idea of body fat distribution and where you're losing fat. Now, you may be tempted to do things like leg lifts or inner thigh squeezes to get rid of fat around the thighs...goodness knows most women have done that a time or ten. Remember, that won't work and you're much better off doing thigh exercises that give you a lot more bang for your buck such as squats, lunges and deadlifts. More about your butt, hips and thighs.