Like static lunges, assisted lunges work all the muscles of the hips, glutes and thighs. This version is just like a static lunge, except you're using a chair or wall for balance. This is a great way for beginners to practice lunges without losing their balance. Do it right:
- Stand with right foot forward, left foot back about 3 feet apart.
- Hold onto a chair or wall for balance.
- Bend the knees and lower them towards the floor until the back knee is a few inches from the floor and the front knee is at a right angle. Keep the front knee behind the toes and be sure to lower straight down rather than forward.
- Keep the torso straight and abs in as you push through the front heel and back to starting position.
- Perform 1-3 sets of 8-16 reps.