Warrior I is an excellent stretch for the entire front body - the chest, abs and hip flexors. In the traditional version
, you also get a great stretch in the calf of the back leg, but this modified version incorporates a ball for extra support. This modified Warrior I is perfect for people who have tight calves or problems with balance when doing this exercise.
- Get on the knees in front of an exercise ball and take the left leg forward into a lunge so that it's right next to the ball.
- Lean the hips into the ball and gently roll forward until you feel a stretch in the front of the right hip. Position yourself so that you are completely supported on the ball.
- Inhale and sweep the arms up overhead and into a gentle back bend, feeling a stretch in the chest and abs.
- Exhale and sweep the arms down while pushing back from the ball just a bit.
- Inhale the arms up again, leaning into the ball, and repeat for 3-5 reps, matching your movements with your breath.