Knee drops are perfect for both strengthening the abs while stretching the lower back, glutes, hips, chest and shoulders. The twisting motion helps you release tension in the back and the weight of the knees allows you to deepen the stretch and get more out of the exercise. Try to keep the opposite shoulder on the floor as you rotate the knees to the floor to get a greater stretch.
- Lie down on the floor and bring the knees up over the body, bending them so that the shins are parallel to the floor.
- Take the arms out to the sides, palms up.
- Contract the abs and rotate the torso to the right to lower the knees to the floor.
- Keep the left shoulder flat on the floor and turn the head to look to the left.
- As you breathe, release tension in the back and open up through the chest, imagining that you're lengthening your waist.
- Hold for about 5 breaths, bring the knees to center and repeat on the other side.