From the article: Menopause and Weight Gain
Going through menopause means major changes for your body and gaining weight is a common problem since declining estrogen can contribute to a lower metabolism, less activity and eating more calories. If you're going through or have gone through menopause, share your experiences. Did you keep going with the same diet and exercise program, but notice you were slowly gaining weight? If so, how have you handled it? Share your story. Share your story
- I was a size 4 till I turned 50. Now I'm a size 12. I have no energy and hate my fat tummy. My face too is fat. This happened in 2 years. I weigh more than 170 lbs!! How?
- —Guest Mag
we are not alone
- Well I guess we are not alone! I use to weight 105 (till my late 30's) n was not happy too skinny! Now I weight 130 n really not happy! Im 5'5 n my body started changes around mid 40's now im 51 n never thought that I would one day want to lose weight, but that day is here! ; ( I look at myself n can't believe it, from being so skinny to now having a belly. I missed my period 3 mos but it came back. Im now going to zumba classes 5/6days n hope I will one day get this belly off me. Good luck ladies best wishes to you All.
- —Guest Alina
we shouldn't be suffering like this
- not in the year 2013 !! this is a very serious illness that healthcare and most of our society seem to take too lightly and actually laugh about after we suffer year upon year with no relief, poor quality of life in just about every way with no hope what so ever! i'm angry! and i can't stand my life anymore! i dread waking up each day! THIS IS NOT WHO I AM!!! wtf?? i wish you all rapid relief from this and want to thankyou for sharing here. it was helpful to actually read and realize i'm not alone. ( not that it makes any of this ok to live with for any of us) just to know i'm not alone or crazy has helped me tonite. thanks everybody for "putting in your 2 cents". lol..hope we all feel better as soon as possible.
- I, too, gained 25 lbs, it seems overnight. I am 45. I lost 85 lbs on Weight Watchers and kept it off for a while, so I know that I am eating and exercising right. The spare tire on my hips bothers me. The bloating bothers me. Nothing fits anymore. To add to my stress, I am going through a devastating divorce and don't have that special person to make me feel better. I feel so unattractive. Any tips on how to get rid of the menopausal fat?
What has happened to my body ????
- I am 47 and have been physically fit the past 7 years . Competing in Bodybuilding , Figure and last year ( 2012 ) in Bikini . All of a sudden I've gained 5lbs over night . I'm bloated all the time , I missed 3 periods in a row , but now seem to be back on track BUT my breasts are continuously tender . I train 5 / 6 times a week and eat very clean but still feel miserable with this weight gain especially in my abdominal region !!! I'm tired , grumpy and just plan disgusted !!
- —Guest LAM
feel like a fat cow, hate how i look
- i too have tried everything an like a yoyo i go from 111pds back up to 130pds im 4,9 so ive always been thin active now i look at my younger daughter who still has her youth an thin an remember how beautiful i once was my older daughter is too so thin an beautiful i had a hysterectomy an early menopause at age 43, what did help was a baby food diet one whole month lost 20 pds holidays put it back on also starving fasting five days helped walking ,dancing,sports,singing,sex if any of u are lucky me haven been with anyone since the hysterectomy last man i was with really hurt my confidence an esteme saying i made him sick my stomache over lapping my breast an i was repulsive yes i miss having love sex but until this comes off i refuse to let a m,an see me unclothed an i gained it in my belly an but looks like im having twins we must not give up an ladies stay away from the scale an dont look at your stomaches in the mirror cause when ur pants fall off then u lost it stay awy from salt,
- —Guest ronda
So glad to have the love of a good man!
- At 53, I'm feeling like the freight train of age has just barreled through my life withou regard of any kind for more former self. I used to be the one who didn't look her age, was always slim and energetic and had a pollyanna outlook on life. Now I'm the chubby, wrinkled and tired looking crone with a bad attitude! (mostly because I'm so pissed about getting old...) BUT, no matter how down I feel, especially after one of my brutal assessments in front of the mirror, my man will wrap his arms around me and tell me how happy he is to have me in his life. Melt... Thank you, baby, for loving me beyond reason!
- —Guest Amy
- i've just turned 48 I justed started menopause 2months ago.eating right and excersing everday and I still can't undestand why I'm still gaining weight. I have never had a weight problem when I was younger when I turned 47 I seen the belly fat the hips getting bigger and it scared me I weighed myself for the first time in awhile and I was 169 the most I've ever weighed in my life thats why i started exercising and eating right .I lost 32 pds during that time. for some reason now I can't lose anything I'm now at 150. .my waist is smaller my belly is getting smaller but I just don't understand.HELP!!!
- —Guest Cathy
Hate my body
- I'm 55 years old, 5"2' tall. I have never in my life had to worrie about what I ate. Over these last 2years I have gained 15lbs. I have a Buddha belly which I hate I have thunder thighs, I can't stand my body. Someone please help me. I don't know where to start. My clothes look terrible on. I feel terrible and look terrible, I could even go as far as saying I hate my body.
- —Guest Sharon
Menopause rapid weight gain
- Started watching my weight a couple of years ago when I hit 50. Am 5ft 8ins and weighed 143 after following a healthy diet and stopping the alcohol. Have been consistent for the last two years. I weighed myself every morning and when I put on half a pound I'd just be careful and it would come back off a couple of days later. I started getting hot flushes in January and not sleeping great and regular periods suddenly stopped in February. About four weeks ago the hot flushes also suddenly stopped and that's when the weight gain came on. I am up eight pounds in four weeks despite now being really careful and continuing to walk about 30miles a week with the dog. I don't know what's happening. I am cutting back more and more to fight this but I'm gaining weight every day. This is really scary.
There maybe help for us!
- I'm 49yrs old, I too have been gaining weight on and off for the past 2yrs since I started menopause. There's a book out called "The Plan" by Lyn-Genet Recitas, a nutritionist, that adresses all of our problems losing weight. It talks about how our bodies react differently to even healthy foods and cause us to gain weight. I think it's worth a try! Good Luck Everyone!
- —Guest Cindy
- I am 49. I taught secondary PE, Health and Nutrition for over 20 years before becoming an Elementary Teacher. I know what causes weight gain. I have competed in every sporting event imaginable, numerous 5Ks, even a triathlon. I had a double mastectomy 3 yrs. ago and eat healthier than anyone I know, due to all I learned researching cancer after my diagnosis. You would think giving up the girls would have allowed me to drop a couple of pounds, but NO, those pounds just relocated in my abdomen due to menopause. I can take the hot flashes, mood swings, but the fat around the middle? Ouch! I average 15,000 steps a day. I walk, jog, bike, row, lift weights, juggle, and swim laps in the summer. I avoid refined sugars, meat, and consume very little dairy. I look at my beautiful daughter and see my former self, but have to accept this new flabby self. Don't get me wrong, I will continue to fight the good fight, but I feel it is a losing battle. I hope to minimize the weight gain, but feel it is inevitable.
i gained overnight
- I have always been slim. I never even used a scale. I finally stepped on one the other day and i've gained 20 lbs!! I'm embarrassed and don't know the 1st thing i can do about it. yes I have a fat tummy and have went from a size 4 to a 10. Yikes. I can't afford to gain any more weight. I am 52 now. It all started at age 50.
- —Guest margaret
- I have always been on the lighter side of weight. At one point, my Dr. put my on Boost so that I could gain weight! That was 4 years ago. Now, I don't have any clothes that fit, I am heavier than I ever was pregnant, I feel like crap, everything aches and to walk to the store and back is a planned outing. WTF!!!!! I have tried everything from hormone replacement pills, to estrogen patches to seriquil. What will help me? If I have to live another year like this I'd rather not live. Is there any help??????
- —Guest Lori G.
I thought something was wrong
- I turned 50 this year, was able to eat anything I wanted all might adult life without gsining weight. Suddenly, I gsined a bunch of weight in my stomach. It seemed to have happened overnight. Hate it, never gained in my stomach before!!
- —Guest Sheila
1-15 of 66Next