1. Health
Paige Waehner

Exercise of the Week - Squat Thrusts

By February 23, 2005

Squat Thrust.  This is one of those killer moves you might remember from P.E. back in the day.  It's great for working your entire body while getting your heart rate nice and high.  Work this into your usual cardio workout by doing 10 squat-thrusts every 15 minutes, or add some at the end of your workout.  Do it right:  Stand with feet together. Squat down and place your hands on the floor next to your feet. In an explosive movement, jump feet backwards into a push-up position, jump feet back between hands and stand up. Add intensity by adding a jump after you stand up.  More intense cardio moves.

Comments
February 25, 2007 at 10:50 pm
(1) jim hodgell says:

gadzooks—I just wish i could do one

March 6, 2007 at 3:36 pm
(2) andy says:

hi, does this exercise burn fat?

July 8, 2007 at 5:40 pm
(3) cress says:

a lot of good information. Can squat thrusts help to improve your swimming?

September 19, 2007 at 12:06 am
(4) Gary says:

also known as burpees

October 13, 2007 at 6:52 am
(5) seraph says:

squat thrusts are just the leg extention and retraction, the standing up afterwards makes it a burpee and adding a jump (usualy a starjump) makes it a bastard (this is the actual name rather than a adjective).

October 20, 2007 at 10:23 pm
(6) Patty says:

These are awful! My knees are a mess from all of the squat thrust I did through school!

October 22, 2007 at 2:55 pm
(7) Eric says:

This is a killer exercise. They made us do these at basic training all day long as a ‘motivational punishment’. I lost 20lbs off of an already skinny body. My abs look crazy. All the time in basic we never used weights… all calisthenics.

(Air Force)

October 26, 2007 at 2:31 pm
(8) sierra says:

I thought this was a contraindicated exercise.

November 25, 2007 at 9:03 pm
(9) Norah says:

Uh, guys, i’ve done these things and i’ve lost, hmmmm, lets see, half of the fat on my ass, that’s what.

November 25, 2007 at 9:05 pm
(10) Michelle says:

yeah, ignore Norah, she thinks shes a supermodel already. Hah. THat’s a joke. But seriously. These things work.

January 12, 2008 at 11:08 pm
(11) rich says:

I developed a routine; I do them every day for thirty minutes or hopefully under that’…start out with ten and work your way up to 20 in multiples of two’…10,12,….20…18…14…10…grand total 180 squat thrusts’…it will burn the fat and them some’…guaranteed

February 7, 2008 at 11:54 am
(12) Chelsea says:

Hate these. School Teachers Made Me Do Them. Nearly Died Each Time!!! HAHA

March 30, 2008 at 8:50 pm
(13) kara says:

i am a swimmer so i understand knee problems considering i used to never do joint exorcises. if doing both legs at the same time gets you off balance and your coming down to hard on your knees, try doing one leg at a time- you get the same work out and are able to do more reps without the harsh aftershock

April 22, 2008 at 7:45 pm
(14) Leba says:

Man i’m doing these now, and its killing me!
But, no pain no gain so, they must be working for me. :D
so like, yes.

Frogs do meow.

March 18, 2010 at 6:06 am
(15) ardee says:

oh darn! this exrcise almost kill me when i was in the academy..they made us do this all day long and night when we have offense (with all the blisters and wounds on your palms)..and this is part of our daily exrcises and if you got use to it with, you can perform an amazing 4 x 1000 repitition in an hour with speed…well, it’s effective in taking off those calories and fats…

April 16, 2011 at 11:28 am
(16) Cas says:

Great exercise that you can do in your own home, and because they’re intense, you don’t need to do that many of them.

April 27, 2011 at 1:30 pm
(17) Jake says:

Ah, Burpees. One of the most effective tools in the boot camp arsenal. Try to work up to being able to do 25 in one minute as a good benchmark. I have my boot campers shoot for that.

May 16, 2011 at 9:44 am
(18) Victor says:

A squat thrust with a jump at the end is a burpee. Incorporate these with some mountain climbers, jumping jacks and some frog jumps and you’ll be in tip top shape in not time. Warning though these will kick u in the butt and will have you gasping for air. You will burn that fat and the pounds will drop. Trust me

April 18, 2012 at 7:31 pm
(19) TeamLiporidex says:

This is one of my all time favorite exercise. I love using these as the basis for an intense ab workout. Great to get your heart going quickly, while still offering many opportunities to target specific muscle groups.

If everybody did 10 reps every morning, we probably wouldn’t be as obese a country!

August 28, 2013 at 12:46 pm
(20) CAshRAsh390 says:

The reason why im here is my teacher is being a total butt and now im doing my training alone but now I have been experiencing depression and anger about my training because my teacher hasn’t been motivating me actually he is doing the complete opposite because he always talks a lot of crap about me not doing my training but the only thing that he doesn’t understand is im only a kid im 14 just started about 4 months ago and he hasn’t been encouraging me to do more.well thats all i got to say if you have a opinion about it please tell me.

October 24, 2013 at 9:04 am
(21) lehijb says:

Hey, CAshRAsh390, one of the hardest things to do is to let somebody else be who they are without letting it effect you. Try and remember that no one can make you feel the way that you don’t want to feel; so do not ever give your teacher, or anybody else for that matter, control over your own emotions. Hope this helps maybe? I’m very glad that you are doing your own training at home, this shows fantastic initiative and goal setting attributes that you’ve instilled inside yourself. Excellant work, you are definitely on the right track. Keep it up all your life!!!