1. Health

If you're trying to lose weight, it's tough to know the best way to track your progress. If you use a scale, you'll notice how much your weight fluctuates throughout the day, making it tough to know if you're actually losing any fat. Plus, every scale is different. I notice that I'm partial to the scale at my gym, which says I weigh less than the scale at my doctor's office. And my mind? Always thinks I'm way thinner than I actually am.

But, the scale is just one option and, as you can guess, not one of my favorites. I'm curious...how do you track your progress? What do you think is the most accurate and, perhaps more important, more inspiring for keeping you going? Vote in this week's poll and leave a comment about your favorite tool for tracking your progress.

Poll: How do you track your weight loss progress?

1. I weigh myself regularly
2. I take my measurements regularly
3. I get my body fat tested by a professional
4. I use a body fat scale at home
5. I go by how my clothes fit
6. I don't track my progress
7. Other - please explain in comments

View Results

Comments
February 25, 2008 at 9:57 am
(1) anna says:

I weigh myself daily, take measurements once a month and have my body fat professionally measured about once a month. Unfortunately although inches and tone are really the goal, that number on the scale is more comforting for me to see move than anything else.

February 25, 2008 at 1:00 pm
(2) Ted says:

I use a software program called lifeform, take daily weight measurements. Not concerned about body fat yet I am still on the high side of overweight according to the BMI measurements.

February 25, 2008 at 8:07 pm
(3) Robert says:

Like Anna, I use more than one method. I weigh myself regularly as a guideline but I also use a BIA device at the gym once/month to check my body composition and I use a tape measure to keep track of various body measurements. I also get jazzed about cinching my belt tighter by one whole and fitting into smaller clothes.

February 26, 2008 at 3:09 pm
(4) Bob says:

I also use more than one method. Mainly, it is the scale as I weigh myself daily. It is always on the same scale and in the morning (when I am the lightest). It is interesting how one’s weight fluctuates during a week. Ultimately though, it is how my clothes fit. Now that I have lost some weight, I really don’t want to buy any more new clothes, especially larger in size.

February 26, 2008 at 8:25 pm
(5) Len C. says:

Every Sunday morning is weigh-in and then check the body fat with my hand held Omron checker. Previous experience with the electronic bathroom scales for tallying body fat were way off the mark compared to the readings I got at the gym.

March 3, 2008 at 3:45 pm
(6) Jim says:

I personally prefer to call it a fatloss program rather than a weightloss program, the reason being, general weight loss can include water and muscle. The fat loss program is fat loss, after all is that not the desired outcome? Many people find themselves giving up after a few weeks of watching the scales fluctuating up and down rather than watching themselves in the mirrow or monitor the way their clothing fits. It is possible the scales will show a gain if one is using weight training along with a healthy eating plan due to muscle gain. It is my opinion that all tools are useful and should be used in a properly conducted fat loss program, one would benefit by using a combination of many tools in judging their progress. It seems as though the previous comments have clearly shown they understand that a combination of tools are essential for a clear understanding of what changes are taking place in each of their programs.