1. Health
Paige Waehner

How Do You Get Get Ready for Spring?

By March 13, 2009

Everything I read these days is about spring - spring cleaning, spring break, spring activities - and I'm all for it, except that it's still way too cold to do any spring activities where I live. Hey, I haven't complained about the weather in awhile, so I need my fix.

It appears time for us to get ready for spring and when it comes to changes in your exercise program, there are things you can do to prepare yourself. Going from indoor workouts to outdoor exercise can be a big adjustment for your body.

With that said, I was thinking about my own workouts and what I do, if anything, to get ready for spring. I normally don't make many changes to my workouts, but this year, I suddenly decided to plan ahead - highly unusual for me. One change I made was adding more yoga and core work to my routine to get my back strong and flexible for working in the yard. I know I'll be running outside, so I've been working the incline on my treadmill so my body doesn't go into shock when I encounter a real live hill.

What about you? I'm curious about whether you change your workouts to get ready for a new season. Are you getting your body strong for golf, gardening, tennis or other warm-weather activities? Or do you just keep doing what you're doing and let the chips fall where they may? Leave a comment and tell us all about the fun things you'll be doing this spring and what you're doing to get ready for them.

Comments
March 13, 2009 at 10:54 am
(1) Jan says:

I put on a few unwanted pounds over the winter and didn’t work out as diligently as I should have. Now that Spring is just around the corner, I have made a complete turn around. I’ve been working extra hard with my strength training and cardio. I’ve already seen positive results. My arms and legs are toned again and I’m ready to put on tank tops and shorts!! My Spring body cleaning is finished and I’m ready for summer! So the way I look at it, you need to Spring clean your body just like you Spring clean your home! I go through this same routine every year.

March 13, 2009 at 12:57 pm
(2) Brad says:

Since spring in southern California is much like winter (but slightly less wet) and a lot like summer (but slightly cooler) I have a difficult time quantifying what I do differently or in preparation of. I’m just trying to get healthier…be a better Brad I suppose. One thing is for sure though, I won’t be trying to exercise with any food on steps or benches…LOL. Aside from just trying to eat less and “cleaner”, I would probably step in or sit on it making a very undesireable mess.

March 13, 2009 at 1:10 pm
(3) Ted says:

Spring reminds me that summer comes soon and it is time to really REV up the workouts so I can show off my “cut” when it gets hot enough for t shirts and cut offs. Spring is so hopeful for me that I get really energetic and use that to do better and better at the gym. Of course with warm weather comes running around in the hills !!

March 13, 2009 at 2:26 pm
(4) Mel B says:

Spring is the time of year when I choose to change up my routine. I switch it up completely. I have been running a lot. Now I am changing my cardio to other activities, like sports. I want to put more fun into my workouts, like kayaking, biking, tennis, etc. Last year, it was all about the mini-marathon. This year it’s all about fun!

March 14, 2009 at 6:27 am
(5) Camilla Pedersen says:

I am a distance runner, yet as I have aged, I found that my stomach has gotten flabbier. I like Leslie Nesbitt’s Video on the No Crunch Ab Strengthening as it was short and sweet and she made it easy for me to start on these with the video.

March 14, 2009 at 9:29 am
(6) JP says:

I make a shift too, around this time of year. I do get outside w/ snowboarding, and also running when it’s 30-ish or above, but it’s been bitterly cold this winter & I’ve been confined indoors in my home gym a lot more than I prefer. But, now that it’s getting a bit warmer here in MI, I’m definitely running outside more. It’s so “freeing” to be outside doing things I love.

March 14, 2009 at 12:48 pm
(7) Gert says:

I shave my legs.

March 14, 2009 at 2:44 pm
(8) Eric says:

I have a lot of variety in my workouts. I notice significant changes in what I am doing, based on the season I’m in. In the winter, when I’m covered with sweaters and stuff, is when I concentrate on bulking, although I don’t go overboard, and alternate that at a health level. I spend a lot of time in the weight room doing heavier weights. I’m still doing cardio, but it’s not really my concentration.

About this time every year, I start to eat in deficit and concentrate more on the cardio stuff, cut some of the fat for the summer. I still do weight training, but I cut back and generally do higher reps per set, with less weight. I also naturally find myself doing more lap swim stuff too.

March 14, 2009 at 9:59 pm
(9) ivik says:

Working out, fitness, is a commitment to yourself, as marriage. An employer and career, children are commitments.. In our society today, if you can bail out of marriage, your children and career, when you don’t feel like it, it’s all okay, but think where is your strength of character, and where will you be next year, ten years from now; older, healthier, dead? And where?

March 15, 2009 at 4:25 pm
(10) Eric says:

As Michigan starts to thaw and I start taking my runs outside, I’m always careful to share the miles between the treadmill and the road, so as not to damage my feet and hips by going too hard too fast on the concrete. By splitting the miles up and gradually increasing the outdoor miles, it makes the transition so much healthier.