1. Health
With warm weather finally here, it's time for your winter workouts to go. If you want something a little different, I've put together a few of my favorite new workouts for your exercise pleasure. Maybe you'll find something new to try. As always, please leave a comment to tell us about your favorite workouts.
  • HIIT Medley Workout: Interval training is great for burning calories in a short period of time and this medley is one of my favorites. You bounce from treadmill to elliptical to stairmaster (or any 3 cardio activities of your choice) for different lengths of time and for different levels of intensity. Switching things around really makes your workout fly by.
  • Total Body Ball Stretch: This is one of my favorite flexibility workouts and perfect after a tough strength or cardio workout. Each stretch flows from one to the other in a simple, relaxing workout.
  • Motion Traxx Workouts by DEEKRON The Fitness DJ: I've talked about DEEKRON's running and walking workouts before (he offers free podcasts with fast-paced dance music with different BPMs for different workouts) and I use one of his workouts at least once a week. My latest favorites are his 'upswing' workouts. You start at a baseline BPM (for example, 150 beats per minute) and gradually work your way up to a higher BPM (e.g., 160). These are great for slowly increasing your speed without having to think about it.
  • Total Body Strength: If you want a challenging total body strength workout, check out this advanced workout. If you're more of a beginner, you might enjoy this Beg/Int Total Body Strength Workout.
  • Pump One Fitness Builder: I love Fitness Builder (an iPhone app) and use it all the time to create new and challenging workouts. It's a little pricey, but there are thousands of exercises and workouts to choose from. I always reach for Fitness Builder when I'm in the mood for something different.
Comments
May 20, 2009 at 10:59 am
(1) A. Moore says:

I did the EA Sports Active yesterday and I thought it was great! My arms are sore today. I only did a 20 min workout and I was sweating. I do go to the gym at least 4 times a week and work out with a trainer, so I am not out of shape by any means. I highly recommend it!

May 20, 2009 at 6:10 pm
(2) Lee says:

How does the RA Active compare to these other two physical fitness games: Wii Fit and My Fitness Coach?

I haven’t messed with Wii Fit since about January or February but I still hit My Fitness Coach for 15 mubutea a day, monday through friday.

May 20, 2009 at 6:13 pm
(3) Lee says:

Sorry. im using my phone to leave the comments and it switched off XT9. That was 15 minutes.

May 21, 2009 at 8:51 am
(4) A. Moore says:

The EA Active incorporated a good cardio workout along with strength training. You can do the recommended workout or customize your own workout. There are also fun things like tennis, basketball, volleyball, etc. You also get a good cardio workout playing the games.

May 18, 2010 at 1:00 pm
(5) Beau Bradbury says:

Exergaming! The way of the future.

May 18, 2010 at 10:26 pm
(6) Fitness fan says:

Been around for awhile, but new for me are kettlebells. Kettlebells look like a good workout for certain activities and sports such as rock climbing and hiking over rough terrain, and football and wrestling.

I know I need to be wary of over-stressing my back from the off center-of-gravity weight training, which is avoidable by using a light weight and not over-doing it. The last time hiking pointed out the soreness from muscles seldom used, which kettlebells may alleviate. And the kettlebells look like fun.

I’ll start with a 15 lb kettlebell, about 10% of my body weight. 15 lbs is also the max dumbbell weight I’m currently using for my upper body training.