1. Health
Paige Waehner

Fit Fact: You Can Gain Muscle As You Age

By May 6, 2011

When you're young you may not spend much time thinking about how your body will function as you get into your 50s, 60s and above. Or perhaps you're like my mother, who will be forever 37 years old...which makes me forever 14. Either way, the single most important factor in how you function when you get older is how strong you are.

We know that lifting weights throughout your life can keep you strong, but what about if you're already an older adult? Can you make a difference or is there a point when you're too old to build strength and muscle. One study, published in The American Journal of Medicine says you can. In the study, researchers examined several studies to find out if lifting weights is actually valuable for adults over 50. They found that, over 18-20 weeks, older adults gained an average of 2.42 pounds of muscle and increased their strength by 25-30%.

Considering that the average adult can gain about 1.5 to 5 pounds of lean muscle each month, that's pretty impressive.

If you've never strength trained, it can be tough to get started, but knowing what lies ahead - more strength, more muscle and a better quality of life - may add a little more motivation to the mix:

What about you? Are you an older adult who lifts weights? When did you get started and what advice to you have for others out there? Leave a comment and tell us your experiences with lifting weights.

Source:

Peterson MD, Gordon PM. . Resistance Exercise for the Aging Adult: Clinical Implications and Prescription Guidelines. Am J Med. 2011 Mar;124(3):194-8.

Comments
May 6, 2011 at 6:06 am
(1) Dave says:

I never did any weight lifting until about 3 years ago.
Before then, I totally consentrated on aerobics 5 days a week 50 to 60 minutes a day.
Now I devote 20 minutes twice a week to weights/ upper, mid, and lower body.
I know it has built muscle mass for me. I am constantly getting to a higher level.
I feel more healthy then any time in my life.
I’m 66.

May 6, 2011 at 7:33 am
(2) ron says:

I am 70 years old and have lifted weights all my life. As a teenager I lifted for bodybuilding and through my adult life mainly for strength. I shifted from bar bells to dumbbells and use light weight. I lift 2-3 times a week along with walking, biking and visits to the gym to use elliptical equipment.

May 6, 2011 at 8:30 am
(3) Taylor says:

I started lifting when I was 54. I go to the gym usually twice a week for about 45 minutes each time. I do about 15 exercises that cover my whole body. I lift slowly, focusing on form and breathing, and using the amount of weight that will take me to muscle failure in about 6 – 8 reps. If you lift slowly and control the weight all the way through each rep, you don’t need a lot of weight.

I’ve been doing this for just over 4 years now, and combined with some dietary modifications, have lost about 12 pounds and gained a large amount of muscle. Lost 2 inches on my waist and feel a lot better (and can do more – hiking, yard work, etc.). I also play tennis a couple times a week.

May 6, 2011 at 11:07 am
(4) susie says:

My heart doctor is my same age – 64. He encouraged me to get a personal trainer and start weight training. For years he believed that running was the best thing for a healthy heart but changed his opinion after seeing the benefits of weight training. I took his advise and have been doing weights three times a week for the past three month. I can already see a difference in strength and muscle tone. I feel so much stronger and love the way my body has changed. Imagine how stronger that heart muscle is must be getting!

May 6, 2011 at 12:09 pm
(5) Ariel says:

Thanks for sharing this. It’s very inspiring to me given that I’m pushing 43 and concerned about muscle loss down the line. Now I know it’s not a given. Thanks!!!

May 6, 2011 at 12:32 pm
(6) Mike says:

I am 51 and am a member at Goodlife Fitness. I’ve recently retired from the military and was very active throughout my career. For 7.5 years I was a military Physical Education and Recreation Instructor and prior to that I was in the Infantry and served in the Airborne.

When I retired I just continued working out. I weight train 4 days a week, employing a upper/lower routine with a day off inbetween. I also use all the cardio machines that are hip friendly. I’ve had hip resurfacing surgery, so I have had to make some adjustments to my routines. I avoid any impact exercises or exercises that aggrevate my hip. Now that spring is here, I am outdoors for cardio, riding my bike or hiking. In the winter I get out to snowshoe. Currently I am working out anywhere from 4 – 6 days a week.

May 6, 2011 at 3:22 pm
(7) Guest says:

I used to workout on and off until about 2 years ago, when I turned 50. At this landmark age, I started a serious exercise schedule, with intense strength training, cardio and flexibility for at least 1.5-2.5 hrs a day, 6 days a week. I have never been in better shape in my life, and feel younger, more energetic and more supple than I used to feel when I was in my 30s. A friend of mine at the gym, who is 65 and had started her workout routine 15 years ago is in better shape than anyone else in our group classes, and they are aged between 28 and 52. When I started, I was advised by the gym coordinator to join classes for older people. I was thoroughly dissatisfied at the pace and energy level of those classes, and chose to join the younger group. I cannot keep up with the late teen-early twenties group, but can easily surpass the 30+ group in strength, endurance and flexibility. I believe that it is never too late to start an exercise program, and if you stick to it and keep challenging yourself the rewards are astounding at any age.

May 6, 2011 at 6:35 pm
(8) mike says:

You can benefit from weight training at any age! It is never to late to start and get moving. The benefits of routine exercise are endless and can improve mobility in older folks.
Exercise and Nutrition Tips

May 6, 2011 at 6:59 pm
(9) PhilB says:

I’m 45, weigh 180, and bench 300. I’ve been active in the gym and outdoors all of my life. My parents are my inspiration. Now in their 60s they still go to the gym 3-5 times/week, both doing mostly resistance training.

In his 50s dad could bench 350+. Due to tendinitis in his shoulder he doesn’t lift the really heavy weights as much, but I’m sure if I challenged him to a 1x bench comp it wouldn’t take long for him to get back into good enough shape to beat me.

May 6, 2011 at 11:17 pm
(10) Richard Ameigh says:

I retired 6 years ago at 66. I weighed 320 at 6’4″ and was about 50% body fat. I started weight lifting to compensate for a bad knee. I kept lifting more and more weight for more and more body parts and started walking. I now weigh 240 and am about 25% body fat (still have a ways to go, there). So, I’ve lost about 100 pounds of fat and gained about 20 pounds of muscle. I had to back way off on the carbs to do it, but major improvements can be achieved, even at 66!

May 7, 2011 at 8:20 am
(11) Oogie says:

I’m 68; When time permitted, exercise most of my life (weight training-cardio-core). I retired at 62, mostly because I wanted to have time to give top priority to exercise. It worked. One of the best moves I made in my life. I work out 6 days a week, 3 days -cardio-abs-stretching – three days with weights – body part once a week. Could not be happier with my results. I would recommend exercise to anyone (male or female), do not be intimated by others, your workout is all about you. It is a great strees reliver, and you will look and feel better and truly enjoy the commaradrie with others. GO FOR IT!

May 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm
(12) Benjamin says:

I’m 55; strength train 3 times a week for at least 45 minutes (upper body only); and my weight stays steady at 170-175 pounds – and I’ve never felt better. When I turned 50, I was about 40 pounds heavier, with a bad knee. The Dr. said surgery would not help my knee; the best thing was to lose at least 40 pounds. So I did lots of cardio, watched what I ate, and actually lost about 50 pounds. But then my wife thought I was too skinny; she wanted me to put some weight back on. I didn’t want to change my newfound healthy-eating habits, so I traded cardio for strength training, and went up about 10 pounds in weight. My diet hasn’t changed, which means the added weight is probably muscle. My wife is happy, and I actually feel better than when I was doing so much cardio.

May 8, 2011 at 9:08 am
(13) Teleman says:

I began seriously lifting in my late forties and am glad I did. I made some mistakes with an injury or 2 so my recommendation is to get started on a safe routine with proper form by using a trainer. I lift to enhance my skiing and bike racing. I am now 57.

May 8, 2011 at 9:02 pm
(14) Nancy says:

I begin regular strength training last year when I was 62. I especially enjoy the classes offered at my gym. There are always other seniors there as well as younger adults. I’ve noticed a definite improvement in my upper body strength and have even received compliments about the muscle definition in my arms. There are so many benefits to strength training that I actively encourage others to begin strength training regardless of their age.

May 9, 2011 at 12:51 pm
(15) John says:

Weight training has been nothing less than transformative. I’m 54, and have been athletic most of my life, though I was never really into pushing weights. I began a 3 day a week training program in my home in January with dumbells, a curl bar, and a bench. I’m packin guns a 20 yr old would envy!

May 9, 2011 at 1:59 pm
(16) Mike Criss says:

I am 52 next month and have been working out since I was 19. Tried many different programs, trained for triathlons, lifted heavy in my younger days, went through a swimming phase, but never felt my strength and cardio were being benefited. It was one or the other until about 2 years ago when I discovered Beachbody products. Started on P90X a couple years ago, quit my gym and have been hooked ever since. I have tried many of their products including Insanity and Asylum. I am almost 52 and have transformed myself. I feel fantastic by mixing strength and cardio.

May 9, 2011 at 4:29 pm
(17) MG says:

Extremely motivating article and comments.

May 9, 2011 at 5:36 pm
(18) eddie says:

im 74 and do an hour weight training 3 times a week ,and 20 minutes on the rower. i played soccer into my 40s and played tennis and squash up to 10 year ago ,but began to get knee pain.the only machine i do is the rower as it doesnt have any impact on my knees .i also have a very good diet and feel great

May 9, 2011 at 6:07 pm
(19) Louise says:

OK, I’ll admit it. I’m 73. Started serious exercising a few years ago. Got a trainer to work out a routine a year ago. In a complete body workout, usually three times a week, spend one or one and a half hours at the gym, fifteen minutes or a half hour on cardio. Use machines and free weights, particularly the cable and dumbbells, and do intervals on the treadmill usually. The amount of weight I can handle increases steadily. Interestingly, any time I had to slack off due to schedule conflicts the stamina on the treadmill diminishes quickly but neither the number of reps nor the amount of weight lessens much, plus both recover within one or two sessions when I resume the pace. Twenty-something females on the treadmill run much longer than me (I do interval spurts anyway rather than puffing away for for a half hour) but I use 25 lb. dumbbells in each hand for squats and good mornings which they ignore. When a few of them use the Nautilus leg press, they typically set it at 100 or even 50 lbs! I use 175. Like most females, my upper body strength frustrates me—-haven’t gotten above15 lb dumbbells in a bench press. or more than 70 lb in a tricep pulldown. But I will. One point about “older” people at the gym—–please stop bemoaning “how hard this is when you are older”. Somehow I refuse to believe it.

May 9, 2011 at 6:27 pm
(20) Diane Bishop says:

I didn’t start weight trainig until I was 66. Had a rotator cuff injury and sever osteoarthritis of the knees. My physical therapist suggested I try weight training. Hired a personal trainer and 5 years later I am addicted. Feel so much better. Increased strength and energy. Recommend to anyone no matter what the age.

May 9, 2011 at 6:40 pm
(21) Ann-Louise says:

I’m hypothyroid and have a very difficult time losing weight. I’d like to shed 8-10 pounds. What would you suggest I do to lose this weight, particularly around the waist.

May 9, 2011 at 7:20 pm
(22) Joseph Skinkis says:

I am 73 and work out at the gym one and a half hours a session for 5 days a week.I live in Thailand and many of the people at the gym are over 50. These retirees are at the gym because they have the time and they enjoy being fit. When I think maybe I won’t go to the gym, my 30 year old wife encourages me with: “You look so good; come with me and just watch.” Of course when I get there, I work out.

May 9, 2011 at 10:48 pm
(23) Bob says:

Exercise at any age is vital to a healthy and happy life. I am continually amazed at how my body responds to exercise even at the age of 54. I work on a military base as a civilian and work with young military personnel on a daily basis and have to keep up with them, that was my incentive to get up and get fit. Now 35 lbs lighter I can perform PT with my military counterparts and stay with them the whole way. No matter your age or station in life, it is never too late to get up and start moving and get fit.

May 9, 2011 at 11:22 pm
(24) joyce says:

I will add my inspiring story. At 49, I felt old and fat with 33% body fat and a 35 inch waist. Six months later, 21% body fat, 26 inch waist, and went from 143 lb to 105 (I’m just 5’1″) I have an impossible schedule and hate gyms. I am a desk jockey and do not have the patience for body balls, resistance bands, or any of the other equipment I bought and used once! My solution, swimming an hour each day, and rollerblading an hour each day. The rollerblading is serious weight bearing and serious fun! The blades are very heavy and I wear wrist weights. Literally thousands of reps every night. I do different excercises and moves on the blades for strength, flexibility, balance, for a wide range of muscle groups, especially abdomen. I now outdance any 25 year old at the local club!

May 10, 2011 at 12:36 am
(25) RE says:

At 17 I suffered an injury that caused my shoulder blade to stick out if I lifted my arm. I was given weight lifting therapy, which did no good.
In my 30′s I built myself into near show form, but the shoulder blade problem kept me from doing any shows.

At 66 I weighed 225. I started doing crunches and other floor exercises… after 3 months I started weight training and remembered some of the therapy lifting I had been given when my teen brain was pruning and added that to the routine.

I am now 69. Weigh 180 and my shoulder blade no longer is a problem. I have complete range of motion and realize that if I had done what I was supposed to do 50 years ago, I wouldn’t have had to struggle.

Yesterday I helped move over 5,000 pounds of books in boxes, lifting the entire 5,000 pounds twice, loading and unloading. I was in great shape for the work and suffered no aches or pains when the day was done.

If you do the weights, you will gain strength and feel better. If you have a limitation, check with a therapist and find a way to work around it… you will feel better.

May 10, 2011 at 7:37 am
(26) Pran says:

I completely agree with what has been written in this article. I have personally experienced the fact that weight training is very beneficial in even old age. I am 65 years old physician and have been weight training more than 26 years quite regularly. I am still doing it consistently and regularly. I will like to mention here that I have been maintaining the same weight since my college days with very little variations. I don’t have any belly fat. My energy level is quite good throughout the day. Moreover, I don’t have any chronic disease and I rarely fall ill. All these benefits are due to regular schedule of weight training. Apart from this, I walk for 45 minutes 5 days a week as well as do stretching twice a week. I always recommend weight training for senior persons.

May 10, 2011 at 9:01 am
(27) Florian says:

I am a 74 year old male and a practicing Type 1 diabetic since 1967. I started weight training in 1995 after learning that it was OK for people with diabetes to do it at a DESA Conf. I work out twice a week for 90 min, 10 min stretching, 20 min warm up on elliptical or treadmill, and 60 min upper and lower body exercises.

I have experienced all the benefits of weight training; a gain in muscle mass and strength, weight control, lower body fat, lower cholesterol, higher HDL, lower blood presure, more sensitivity to insulin, and lower insulin requirements.

May 10, 2011 at 2:00 pm
(28) Lise Fuller says:

I started lifting in my mid-40s. Over the years I had gained weight, but more importantly, my blood cholestrol had shot up. I started lifting and went on a low-carb — BUT good carb diet with plenty of protein & good oils. After a year, overall cholestrol dropped to under 200. I still lift today at 55 1/2 and I lift strong. Heck, I lift more weight than most women who are younger than me (I think they’re afraid they’ll get to muscular which really doesn’t happen!) Anyway, I hope to never stop. Jack Lalanne was an icon that I would love to follow. KEEP LIFTING! Makes me feel great every day. And people wonder why I stay lean!

May 10, 2011 at 7:32 pm
(29) Elinor Satawa says:

I am in my early 70′s and have been exercising almost all my adult life. I especialy do weight training and Pilates and have been for years. My trainers all say they can’t get over how strong I am for my age. I have a chronic back problem due to an auto accident when I was 18 yrs old and was told then to exercise and it was the best advice I ever have had! I also hike, bike ride and golf. I do not feel my age, nor look it and still work as a contingent RN. People remark that they can’t get over the energy level that I have but I owe it all to the work outs I do (and working!). I am always telling my patients who complain about various things to get off their butts and start exercising! it’s never too late to start!

May 10, 2011 at 9:51 pm
(30) Sheron says:

I was 56 when I began an exercise program and weight over 300 pounds. I will turn 6o in October and now weigh half of what I did. My 1 rep max deadlift is 255 pounds! I love weight training but try to mix it with a good cardio program. You are never too old.

June 15, 2011 at 2:09 am
(31) melody says:

wow! you folks inspire me to continue to work hard to get in better shape for life! i went hiking with my 75 year old neighbor and i could hardly keep up. i’m 25 years old and i’m about 25 lbs overweight, but i couldn’t believe her when she said she was 75! i feel like working out keeps people looking youthful as well. she doesn’t look a day over 50. keep it up guys!

June 24, 2011 at 1:38 pm
(32) Don says:

I have lifted weights off and on my whole life. I am now 70 years old and still use hand weights about three times per week along with walking every day. This along with taking vitamins helps to keep me young. I have had people tell me that I do not look my age at all so I guess it’s worth it.

July 9, 2011 at 3:58 pm
(33) Hiit says:

Great article, probably the risk of injury is higher

August 6, 2011 at 11:14 pm
(34) Frank says:

I am 62 I lift lbs 4 times per week and run marathons also I don’t run fast but I like to think I look good when I take my shirt off and run and the smiles I get from women only keeps me focused on working out and running

August 13, 2011 at 9:21 am
(35) ken says:

iam sixty now i work as a plasterer and still weight train at least twice a week sometimes 3.i love it. have done training most of my life although iam not big the muscle is there.people think iam mad i will never stop.

February 2, 2013 at 4:49 pm
(36) alex says:

before i started to do workout lifting weights maximum of 35 pounds i had a back pain since 2005. i suffered when i was lifting a wardrobe with my office mate then left me alone instantly and i had notice ca click sounds on my lower back. I just ignoring until i feel pain 3 days after it had happen, i did not try for an x-ray bcoz i still can ease the pain during those time but now it feels like painful. i went for an appointment of physiotherapy they giving me an exercise booklet it works but little so i tried to go to gym doing treadmill and lifting weights there was an improvement but when i tried train hard pain is back until now. i tried to have lean muscles so i drink hemp protein before then now ive used pure protein from USN, i am gaining weights. My question is if you will stop drink protein powder it will damage your health,muscles? 2. Is protein powder can cause arthritis to your spin? 3. Is it good i will use hemp protein before workout then pure protein after workout?

April 10, 2013 at 9:33 pm
(37) Flora says:

I am not doing any weight lifting as such. However, 3 times a week I am doing Bikram Yoga and twice a week I am doing 3 hours of walking with 12 to 15 kg back pack. I always try to include as many stairs as possible and when ever I can I do the walk in National parks with lots of ups and downs and rock hopping.
I am 59 years old; I have been doing the above for 3 years and I a getting very strong. My whole body has toned up and I am much stronger than ever before.

May 7, 2013 at 7:48 pm
(38) Jo Anne says:

Ran my first marathon at 72. Lift weights a couple of times a week. Run 4 or 5 days a week. Hope to finish my 9th marathon this fall. 77 years
old.

June 5, 2013 at 9:03 pm
(39) Marshall says:

Never was a sportsman, about the only thing I did growing up was walk a lot and ride a bike. Had a brief exposure to weights in my 30s and a couple of other times along the way. At 53, I quit smoking and went to a trainer twice a week for super slow weight training, then transitioned to regular weight training at a gym for a while – not a long time. Quit the gym (and weights) when the gym got too noisy. Now, at 73 I go to a trainer twice a week for a 20 minute weight workout with the super slow method. On the Nautilus leg press, I pushed 607 pounds until the trainer realized the machine max was 600. So, he changed the settings and now I push 520 pounds – super slow for 2 minutes. Doesn’t matter what age, strength training helps.

June 13, 2013 at 12:49 pm
(40) Lee says:

The comments and article has inspired me to just do it. I will be 68 in 3 days, I joined SparkPeople.com couple weeks ago…losing 11 pounds so far…only riding stationary bike every other day for about 20-30 minutes and walk at least hour a day. My concern was, as I lose the weight, can my body be toned through whatever exercise it takes…or am I resigned to flabby hanging skin? My hat’s off to all of you! Thank you.

June 22, 2013 at 8:26 pm
(41) Allan says:

I found this article by chance and was really delighted by all the readers’ comments. In a world where too many people are content to waddle from fridge to sofa and watch slender people running around on TV while they snack on ice-cream and biscuits, it’s wonderful to know that there are others out there who are looking after themselves and achieving good results. For myself, at 54, I’m not as capable as I was when I was younger (can’t run 10 miles in 64 minutes any more) but I’m still capable of getting out and enjoying life. This summer, for example, I’m doing an endurance hike of 100 miles in the Sierra Nevada mountains with full pack (66lbs/30kg), belt kit, and shotgun (there are bears and mountain lions around and looking for tasty snacks – as I’ll be tabbing through the night twice I want to be sure I have some deterrence just in case). Last summer I did 50 miles in 23 hours 42 minutes under the same conditions and it was absolutely fantastic.

July 4, 2013 at 4:37 pm
(42) Susan says:

Thanks for all your encouraging words. At 62 and overweight I thought I was hopeless. Now I see there is hope.
Thanks from the bottom of my heart

August 22, 2013 at 7:29 pm
(43) Peter Gutierrez says:

Now at age 69 and weighing 176 I have hit a wall and , for example can bench press 195 ..but less than half the weight I did as a 181 lb power-lifter who did 400-415 in contests ( age35-55 ) with a 590 squat and 615 dead lift. I have dialed my workout poundage’s down in the squat and dead-lift due to a bad disc ( but not candidate for surgery ) so I do bench, leg presses, bicep curls, triceps, push-ups ( 35 ) and lots of stretching …my frustrating is I can’t seem to get my bench press back up to a modest level ( goal =225 ) I train one day on and two days off which seems to be the right balance of work and recovery. Any suggestions how i can break through that wall and get my 225 and maybe even more? Even light squats and Dead-lifts are out but I have had not had any debilitating back spasms in one year …and I need to re-introduce treadmill for cardio Any suggestions will be appreciated.

October 20, 2013 at 3:06 am
(44) michael o dwyer says:

I am 59 in about 3 weeks time. I work mainly building type work. Most of my muscle comes from this kind of work. I have always pushed myself at work to keep fit this way. I do go to the gym. But in my life time it would not cover about 3 years at an hour a day. Yet I can still see my ab’s. And I am very toned. Bit of a freak really. must have the right gene’s for building muscle. I am 5 foot 7 inch and at the moment am 78 kilo’s in weight. But not fat. I can out do a lot of young people on machines in the gym. And I put this down to focusing on what I do. I can even run at a very fast pace for short periods. On the tread mill, I will at the end of my session do one minute at the maxim speed of the treadmill. My only bad habit is that I smoke. And I am not into supplements. Just ordinary food. But like about everything. Plus fruit. I do it to feel great. And it gives you confidence. Plus there are know restrictions on what I can do. I do not believe that age is a restriction to what you can do. My motto is. Everything is possible. And to ignore what society says is the norm. My only set back as far as going to gym and so on is that I have bipolar 11. If not for that. Who know’s what I could have achieved. But the plus of bipolar is knowing that the impossible is possible. Restrictions and only in the mind.

November 15, 2013 at 10:54 pm
(45) strongjohn says:

Started lifting weight to rehab my back 85- 6discs crushed ,fusion rods etc. Went to rehab they were hurting me not helping told neurosurgeon to fire them. I went on couple years later winning npc shows last show I was a super heavy weight 265lb 3% fat won! Weight training has gave me a much better quality of life :D Meet some characters as well .Am in my 50s

November 18, 2013 at 4:44 am
(46) fred mcgurk says:

I’m 55 I’ve lifted weights on and off from 18 years of age. I’ve found if i lay off for a long period (couple of years) my weight creeps on and I start to feel my age so to speak. A say i quite like and use when I get bored is “YOU DON’T QUIT LIFTING WEIGHTS BECAUSE YOU GET OLD. YOU GET OLD BECAUSE YOU QUIT LIFTING WEIGHTS”

To make lifting the weights interesting i like to give my self goals on what i can lift especially in the exercises i most enjoy. e.g. I

November 26, 2013 at 2:49 pm
(47) John E says:

Hi All
It’s never too late I’m 66 (67 in January) I do weight training 3 times per week; basic multi-joint movements; squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, pull ups. Use heavy weights (I’m squatting 125kg(275lbs for example). I’m in better shape than guys half my age….so, don’t let anyone tell you you’re past it!!

December 23, 2013 at 5:21 am
(48) Tom E says:

Desk jockey and sedintary all my life. Three years ago my wife had heart attack so I joined her in eating healthy. Slimmed down from 230 lb to 160 lb. then started walking. Went on cruise last year and they had gym on board. Got hooked and joined gym when I returned home. Have been working out 6 days per week for past year, weights + cardio. Stayed same weight but body shape has changed dramatically over last 12 months. Down to 12% body fat and have muscle I’ve never had before. People say I actually look years younger than before. Feeling best in over 30 years. I’m turning 59 in March

January 6, 2014 at 2:50 am
(49) Philip Lee says:

I will be 66 in 2 months and I am a type 2 diabets but still lifting weights: bench 85kgs with bar. don’t let anyone tells you any different

February 19, 2014 at 9:39 am
(50) vickersman says:

I lifted weights as a powerlifter-stopped at 30 to pay attention to job and family came back in my 40′s -left it again and now back at it at 65 ! As an example- I started with machine training-Nautilus Hammer strength equipment-then went to dbells and have worked up over a years time to manage 20 reps flat dumbell press with 90 pounds ! But my once 550 squat (incompetition) is out of the question .I am aiming for more than the 245 squat I can do now . I just keep banging away at it and happy to make progress when it comes!

February 21, 2014 at 12:40 pm
(51) Kathleen Shiloh says:

I’m 67 and I bought my Missouri Fox Trotter 2 years ago. I trail ride him everyday. I have over 500 hours of trail riding and covered over 1500 miles of beautiful trails in the Cave Creek area of Arizona. People say the horse does all the work… not true. I feel and look pretty good for my age. I just got back into inline skating and that also adds to a perfect workout. I skate at least 2 to 3 times a week. Yes, it’s been 15 years since I hung up my skates, but, I’ve put them back on. For me… age is only a number.

April 17, 2014 at 3:26 am
(52) Eddie says:

Age 58 and have started weight training about 11/2 year now and the results were great.I started with dumbbells meant for ladies and now have been using 10 kg after about six months.Also bought some resistance bands (x factor) and a bar that hangs on the doorway for pull up etc.Now I can wear short t shirt proudly with muscle being solid.go for it guys.

May 15, 2014 at 12:02 pm
(53) Dean says:

Love reading the comments.I’m 67, diebetic type 2, had 3 back surgeries[2 fusions],and I lift free weights. Just been back lifting 2 months since laying off to heal from my last back fusion surgery. My bench is back up to 270 and I’m pressing over 1000, on Natilus leg press.I am gaining muscle mass and losing weight. When I just started back I weighted 265; I have since lost 17 lbs. and I will get back down to 210 or 200, with in a year.Eat right get your rest and work out. It works!Don’t quit!!

May 18, 2014 at 11:34 am
(54) Mimi says:

You guys rock! I’m psyched now. I’m turning 50 in a couple of weeks and have been so sedentary for the many years now and recently have been indulging in unhealthy food. While I’m blessed with good genes that make it easy to remain on the slim side, I didn’t inherit the “quick muscle gain” genes. So I’m not overweight, but I have un-toned arms and flabby legs and my cardiovascular fitness and energy levels are very poor. Your stories have inspired me. I loved what one of you said about limitations: “Don’t believe it!” I’ve learned that you can be physically fit at any age and you can overcome weight gain, injuries and chronic health conditions through a regular fitness program. I’m hoping to return in a year or so to share how I too have turned things around. My goal: Strength and muscle definition, basic cardiovascular fitness (can’t do too much, because I’ll turn skinny/vanity wants to keep face youthful), and “un-lazy” living. Basically, I want to be able to do anything. I don’t want to tell my sister on the ski slopes to remind me to get in shape when we return home. I want to be able to dance the night away and not to get winded after a sprint to the bus stop or get tired after a bit of housework. Thank you guys and gals. Looking forward to turning 50 and starting and maintaining a new kind of living! Cheers to your health and happiness!