1. Health
Paige Waehner

Exercise of the Week - Divebomber Pushups

By July 10, 2012

Pushups. Even just saying that word in polite company often generates horrified gasps, and I won't even mention the responses I often get from my clients, as swearing is frowned upon in our blogs.

We love to hate pushups because they work every muscle in the body and, of course, the more muscle groups you involve, the more challenging an exercise is. Even better, there are a million and one ways to do pushups, making them an exercise almost anyone can do...even the haters.

One of the hardest versions out there are divebombers. This pushup is similar to a yoga series in which you go from downward dog to upward dog. The difference is that you're repeating the movements for more reps than you would in yoga.

The key to this move is, first, being very comfortable with traditional pushups. You'll need a good amount of core strength as well as arm strength to do this move without causing injury. This move will also tax the shoulders in a way you may not be used to, so consider keeping the knees on the floor throughout the movement to take the pressure off and give yourself a chance to practice the exercise.

Do it right: Begin the move in a pike position, with hands about shoulder-width apart and a bit forward of the body, legs straight and hips to the ceiling (as in a downward dog). Bend the elbows as you dive forward, bringing your head towards the floor. Keep moving forward, pushing the chest towards the floor and then through the arms. Keep going until your torso is lifted, hips still off the floor and you're looking forward, shoulders down (as in an upward dog. Reverse the movement and repeat for 1-3 sets of 4-12 reps.

Comments
July 1, 2008 at 11:35 am
(1) catluver42 says:

Some of us do not have good balance to do a normal, good, push-up.

July 1, 2008 at 12:35 pm
(2) Charity says:

I find balance doesn’t enter into pushups all that much. To work up to a full pushup, start by pushing up on an elevated surface. I like the Smith machine at my gym. Once I can do 15 reps per set, I move the bar lower. Benches and aerobic steps work well too.

July 2, 2008 at 3:36 pm
(3) mike says:

….What balance do u need to do a push up?? your hands should be shoulder width apart and at your chest, Your feet can be together or apart. Even when i could not do a push up i never had a balancing problem, i was just weak

July 2, 2008 at 8:34 pm
(4) G says:

I guess it depends on the kind of push-ups. I do clap behind your back push-ups. This is a very advanced push-up, and requires an explosive push off the floor to get the needed hang time and allow a clap behind your back, and then get your hands back in front of you before your face does a nose plant! Flexibility is also a must.

July 3, 2008 at 7:05 am
(5) Bob says:

what ever happened to good old fashioned push-ups? hands approximately shoulder width apart, abs pulled in, lower until CHEST TOUCHES THE FLOOR. try the “dirty dozen”. 1 push-up rest 10 seconds, then 2, rest 10 seconds, all the way to 12. when you can complete this, go back down…12, 11, 10….etc. quick and effective.

July 3, 2008 at 6:19 pm
(6) bubalu says:

Try a deck of cards:

from a a deck of cards turn over the first card and do the number of push ups equal to the face value of the card, aces are one and face cards are ten. Then rest the same number seconds and then tun over another card.

July 3, 2008 at 9:21 pm
(7) G says:

Or try Push-up poker. You bet a number of push-ups instead of using money. “I bet five push-ups, OK, I’ll see that and raise ya 10 push-ups. Loser does the number of push-ups at the end of each hand. It gets real good after you have done a couple of sets of 20-push-ups. Makes the game very interesting!

July 4, 2008 at 2:06 pm
(8) k says:

i love these pushups. well i love all variations of push ups. even yoga you do pushups (chaturungas). any variations you use are the ultimate in body weight exercises. just keep doing them,practice makes perfect,just do them!

July 5, 2008 at 8:11 pm
(9) Maria says:

I’m a huge fan of push ups also. It does so much to increase your overall strength. I do the divebomer push ups all the time. I actually picked it up in yoga as you mentioned. The thing is, these really help stretch out my back. I love them!

July 9, 2008 at 11:11 am
(10) Yuri | myFitterU.com says:

These push-ups are simply amazing!

I love the burn in the shoulders especially on the return.

They definitely get you a lot fitter in no time!

February 28, 2009 at 3:03 am
(11) Hk says:

If you want to go even more crazy, do usual pushups, but start not using limbs. Yes, it is crazy, but possible to do pushups with just one arm and one leg (after lots and lots of training beforehand :) )

July 11, 2012 at 1:41 am
(12) Mike says:

I substituted them for traditional push-up’s in my workout today. I got nothing but odd looks at the gym till everyone else tried to do them. It’s a nice change, and I feel like they work more areas…Thank You for the extra kick to the workout.

July 11, 2012 at 1:41 am
(13) Mike says:

July 16, 2012 at 9:50 pm
(14) Maria says:

that version of push up I can’t do coz I had an operation, so when I do a push up i do the 1z on the knees push up.

July 26, 2012 at 8:30 pm
(15) adam says:

I like this, although the key being first comfortable with traditional pushups could be a slight problem. oh well, will work on it. lol