1. Health
Paige Waehner

Workout of the Week - Circuit Training

By October 30, 2012

If you want a fast, efficient workout that lets you burn more calories in less time, there's nothing better than good old Circuit Training. The idea is to go through a series of exercises - cardio, strength or both - without resting, and then repeating them as desired.

The great thing about this type of training is that it not only makes your workouts more interesting and burns lots of calories during the workout, it can increase your afterburn so that you burn even more calories after your workout.

I've listed the circuit workouts available in my Workout Center and I wanted to highlight a new favorite of mine: Total Body Dumbbell Circuit. This workout uses only one set of heavy dumbbells (although I will caution you that you may want to keep lighter ones handy) and includes just 5 exercises. However, these moves target every muscle in your body and, if you move fast and repeat the circuit, you'll really feel it.

More Circuit Workouts

Do you like circuit training? What's your favorite workout? Leave a comment and tell us about it.

Comments
May 3, 2011 at 7:48 am
(1) Maryse Senecal says:

Hi.. I love circuit training, it’s what i do with my clients. The other great thing about circuit training is that we change it up every workout. They never know what to expect when they come in for their workout. It keeps the mind-body connection strong and the body on edge.. love the way they feel when they have completed the circuit (X3).. life is good huh?

May 3, 2011 at 12:39 pm
(2) LKS says:

Circuit training is about all I have time for any more. Since I am restricted to 30-minute workouts during my lunch break, I need something that delivers a lot in a short amount of time. Circuit training is about the only thing that does that. It’s a must-have for me.

July 9, 2011 at 4:37 pm
(3) Hiit says:

Circuit Training is amazing

July 19, 2011 at 5:30 pm
(4) Jason Momoa Workout says:

I also love circuit training. The intensity is fun even thought its not for all…Its makes me feel great afterwards as well and leaves me feeling fresh.

Nice post BTW

October 30, 2012 at 1:41 pm
(5) Michael says:

A busy gym makes a circuit workout quite impossible. I do a modified circuit that puts a 5-minute cardio blast between a full 3-set push, pull, and core workout. The final cardio blast is an extended 15-minute interval set. I can control the time by the number of iterations, and I leave the gym felling like a million bucks.

November 5, 2012 at 9:15 pm
(6) Sandy says:

How about Zumba in the Circuit!?