1. Health
Paige Waehner

What do you want to know about exercise?

By December 27, 2012

It's the strange, limbo-like time between Christmas and New Year's, which means one thing: If you're at work, you're totally pretending to be productive.

If you need something to do, take some time today to answer one very important question: What do you want to know about exercise?

I ask because I've written about so many topics - motivation, weight loss, the basics of cardio and weight training, how to get started, how to work harder and I've even created a variety of programs and workouts for your exercise pleasure. I have information for seniors, for people who are overweight or obese, people with knee problems and people who want to blow it out the old bloomer leg with killer high intensity workouts.

Now, I posted this question a couple of years ago, which is why you'll see comments from the previous posting - comments, by the way, that helped me shape my content in the last couple of years. Now, I'd like to do it again: What do you want to know about exercise?

Do you want new workouts? Articles about specific topics? Do you have questions you never seem to find a good answer for? Leave a comment and tell me what you want to know about exercise. Maybe you'll inspire new and interesting topics for the coming year.

Comments
December 29, 2010 at 5:59 pm
(1) Joe says:

Paige,
I recommend you don’t worry too much about repeating the “old standards”, but continue to address them in updates as new information (especially based on medical studies) comes out–like you’ve addressed the trends in intervals.
I’ve been associated with the military for 35 years. We have issues we constantly readdress simply because the population is constantly changing. Also, we repeat the serious stuff–safety, standards, etc., because of their importance to getting the job done.
I think your site is similar in some ways–although you have steady followers, you also have new folks visiting all the time–an old nugget with a new spin or additional support from studies might be just what they need.
I appreciate your postings, they give me another perspective on exercise and help keep me motivated–thanks.

December 29, 2010 at 6:54 pm
(2) Benjamin says:

I’ve read your blog daily for several years now, Paige; you do a great job covering most of the topics I’m interested in. Now that I’m getting older, I think I need to re-read some of your articles on how to avoid injuries during high-intensity workouts, and the exercises you’ve recommended for therapy (after consulting a doctor, of course). When I was in my early 30′s, I damaged my rotator cuff when an over-enthusiastic partner kept pushing me with the mantra “no pain, no gain”. I’m now 55; and recently, I also exacerbated an old knee injury that’s never fully healed (torn meniscus), when I tried some new knee exercises. These things take longer to heal as we age; I need to remember that I’m not a spring chicken.

December 30, 2010 at 8:05 am
(3) Charity says:

I really enjoy reading about the newest trends in fitness but I would also like to read about training to walk a marathon, especially since I am doing that in September, and how to stay motivated through sickness and boredom. Thanks for the great info and looking forward to more.

December 30, 2010 at 8:27 am
(4) Betty says:

What are your recommendations for an exercise routine for seniors in their seventies and eighties. What is too much or too little? Staying slim and fit is difficult at this age but I want a good quality of life and not shuffle along as so many seniors do. I do a walking routine every day with
Sally Sansone programes and carry weights as I do it. Move continually for an hour but at the end am quite exhausted and recovery is slow going. I also lift light weights couple times a week. Any further suggestions? Sincerely Betty.

December 30, 2010 at 10:22 am
(5) Eva G. says:

Strength training bores me to tears, but I know it’s important. I’d love to hear ways to make it interesting and fun. Tall order, I know. Sometimes I wonder, though, if something like yoga can replace it. Depending on the yoga class, sometimes I give my muscles a serious workout! Can I replace strength training with yoga? Cause that would be awesome. Keep up the good work and Happy New Year.

December 30, 2010 at 10:42 am
(6) Annemarie says:

Hi Paige,

I think you’re doing a great job, I have your blog on my igoogle page and I’m amazed at the high frequency with which you add new posts. I agree with other commenters, you shouldn’t worry about rehashing the old, basic and important stuff. As a long-time reader I always appreciate the reminders. I also greatly enjoy your fitness gadget reviews and anything to do with scientific studies. Most of all though, I like the *way* you talk about all things exercise: Straight, enthusiastic and with lots of hilarious self-(and client/husband)-deprecation. The way you describe your patients lamenting about yet another crazy program you’ve cooked up for them really puts a smile on my face and regularly helps me to stop my own whining and get to the gym already :)

Best wishes for the new year from Amsterdam, Holland!

December 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm
(7) Phantom1024 says:

How about an article about how to get the best results with the least amount of effort like the “Colorado Experiment” with Arthur Jones and Casey Viator.

December 31, 2010 at 10:34 pm
(8) Fitness fan says:

I disagree with Annemarie and other naysayers; by revisiting previous topics, you catch the newbies to fitness, and it’s always good to get fresh feedback on older topics. I may tune and adjust both my thinking and workout regimen as I age and consider viable options.

Paige, I think the important thing is that you reach out and engage us in conversation; there aren’t that many people out there that do that.

January 1, 2011 at 1:30 am
(9) Fitness fan says:

I owe Annemarie a big apology for mis-reading her comment. In fact, I wholeheartedly second her candid and well-expressed opinion. The comments posted here are very positive.

January 3, 2011 at 3:07 pm
(10) jean says:

Exercise for women over 50 years old, to firm up and lose weight.

January 3, 2011 at 3:40 pm
(11) Kurt says:

For us 50+, we have a new complication – last May I ended up spending 6 weeks using my living room couch as my office due to a herniated disk. I’m working on coming back from that, and because of a busy life, am trying to avoid scheduling gym usage into it.

My goals are to get the “core strength” back up, lose weight (I’m at 230, want to shoot for under 200). Have plenty of access to walking trails. I also have a small home gym that supports leg lifts, a “pull down” bar, a “push forward” bar, and forearm compresses (if that’s what it’s called). What sort of blend of simple things, that might be able to be accomplished with a 45 minute walk, say, every other day and other short workouts might get things there.

January 3, 2011 at 4:46 pm
(12) Teresa says:

How to exercise after an injury; how to stay motivated and fit. I injured my back 6 mos ago and Have been striving to stay fit. Specifically, back friendly exercise; when it’s a muscle strain…no problem with discs or spine. Thanks!

January 3, 2011 at 4:49 pm
(13) Shorti75 says:

I want to know how you became a trainer/fitness blogger and what recommendations you have for someone who is contemplating leaving their profession for the fitness field. Is passion for exercise, health and fitness enough?

January 4, 2011 at 8:19 am
(14) Madhu says:

Recently I have developed a calcaneal heel .though it pains after a high impact aerobics,u think I should ignore the pain n continue with the exercise? Very confused

January 4, 2011 at 11:57 am
(15) Clairblue says:

Workout information for 50+ women would be great. Also would be interested to learn exercise routines geared to specific sports. I am a tennis player but find that some of the exercises recommended for tennis are a bit too strenuous for my joints. I think you do a great job and thank you for asking!

January 4, 2011 at 6:47 pm
(16) redstrands says:

My work job involves sitting at a computer/desk pretty much all day. What can I do while at my desk? I try to stretch, but it’s hard sometimes. I have seen the foot pedal gadgets. Do they work? Is there something I can do instead? I would really like something that I can do while I’m at my desk or in my office (I can’t lie down, no space).

January 5, 2011 at 8:01 pm
(17) keenfan says:

I enjoy reading your column, keep up the good work.

regarding topics, well as I am male and over 50, then I look out for info on age related affects on my body in relation to the type of exercises I do, and what can I realistically expect to accomplish.

so, cardio, strength guides, expected recovery times..etc

January 6, 2011 at 3:08 am
(18) Anne says:

Could you address interval training? Is it really better than long cardio stints?

December 27, 2012 at 6:41 am
(19) Barbara says:

Can you explain what is the cardiac zone and fat burning zone and why it is important (if it is important) to know what these zones are?

December 27, 2012 at 7:27 am
(20) Doug says:

At age 69, I go to the gym 5 days/week. I usually do an hour of cardio every day… treadmill, eliptical, bike or a combination. I also lift weights 2-3 days working most of my body.

I had bilateral hip replacements at age 55 and work hard to keep my legs and hip area strong. I have noticed as I age it is more difficult to get up off the floor. Please advise what muscles need to be strengthened to address this issue and recommend a weight training regimen to achieve it.

December 27, 2012 at 11:24 am
(21) staci says:

I love when you cover new gadgets in fitness and give some insight into what they do, how much they cost and whether they are worth it or not. I also enjoy. I also enjoy what you and others are listening to on their ipods.

December 27, 2012 at 4:41 pm
(22) katydid says:

What’s the best way for someone who is suffering from extreme fatigue as a result of surgery and cancer treatments to ease back into exercise?

December 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm
(23) Roge says:

Imagine that – I’m lazy! Tell me how to get the maximum burn in the least amount of time and still have my knees/joints not need Ace bandages.

December 31, 2012 at 12:27 am
(24) Carol says:

Is it important to have variety in my cardio excercise? If so why?

December 31, 2012 at 1:24 am
(25) Fitness fan says:

Paige, there are times when Iím in your blog that I feel like Iím sitting in front of a warm fireplace, conversing with others about fitness and exercise. Your have often achieved a level of caring and intimacy among a group of total strangers, which to me is truly remarkable. Your honesty and candor set the tone and atmosphere.

Many thanks for the long and hard work, and Iíll continue to try to contribute whenever I can.

December 31, 2012 at 1:30 am
(26) Fitness fan says:

PS: I also appreciate your humor; it helps to laugh and chuckle now and then.

December 31, 2012 at 9:18 am
(27) Carol says:

Another question… I would really appreciate your thoughts on the accuracy of calorie counters on exercise equipment. When I work out on my elliptical machine for 40 minutes at high resistance it says I burn 650 calories, can that be right? I am dripping with sweat when I am done so I feel like I have burned a lot of calories, but I don’t want to over estimate the calories burned.

December 31, 2012 at 8:40 pm
(28) Brad Bennett says:

I see a lot about exercise and I have been going to the fitness centres fro the last 13 years. My biggest problem now is over stretching after a workout. I was never taught the proper method or techniques of stretching, They always asked “Do you feel the stretch?”. Yes I do, but if you feel the stretch during the 30 seconds, you are probably over stretching. That is my problem now.

December 31, 2012 at 8:48 pm
(29) Lisa Mojica says:

I want to know what exercises make you stronger. What can you do to reduce pain in hips. What stretches and exercises will help reduce fat and work to keep you healthy and fit.

December 31, 2012 at 9:09 pm
(30) Bob says:

Paige – Understanding that your site is awesome as it stands, I’d love to see a couple of “biggest bang for the buck” resistance workouts. In other words, for those of us who know how to perform resistance training safely, but have extremely limited time, what are a couple of resistance workouts you would design that would absolutely minimize the time needed to perform one; that would minimize or eliminate duplication of muscles being worked? (I just reviewed the workouts you have, and don’t think you have this type of workout, including the 10 minute ones.)

December 31, 2012 at 10:12 pm
(31) Amar says:

Please let me know -

I had an Open Heart Triple Bye-pass surgery. My chest stitches still feel a bit raw.
Iam overweight – 112 kgs. and diabetic.
Iwant to do exercise but am afraid to stran my stitches.
1. what exercises I can do .
2. Duration.
3. Intensity.
Thanks.

Sincerly,

amar mathur

October 10, 2013 at 10:53 am
(32) Kate says:

I think nutrition is a BIG piece of all of this. Between 40 and 50 my body changed significantly. I had to make a concerted effort to eat to nourish, in addition to moving more throughout my day. It’s no longer easy to maintain my former weight, but I am finding all of the above help.