1. Health
Paige Waehner

Vote: What's holding you back from taking care of yourself?

By January 14, 2013

My clients and I often enjoy getting into philosophical discussions, especially when January rolls around. Take my client, *Sasha who said something very interesting during one of our sessions: "What's holding me back?" That was the question that came to mind when she thought of her struggles to lose weight and how she never seemed to get over that hump to where exercising and eating healthy were a natural, daily occurrence.

As we dug a little deeper, we came up with some possibilities: One, not putting herself first. For example, on that very morning, she was headed to the treadmill for her workout when she got an urgent phone call from work. She could've ignored it -- After all, it was out of her usual work hours and she already had her workout planned. However, she took the call and, once that train started rolling, there was no stopping it to get back to her treadmill.

Another idea we came up with: Fear. Fear of failure, fear of doing the wrong thing, of disappointing her boss, her clients, her dog or whoever it is that wants her time.

Most of us can relate to both of those, guilt for putting ourselves first and, possibly, disappointing other people and fear of failure, pain or even just fear of change.

So, thinking about your situation, is there something holding you back? If you're struggling to exercise, you may have any number of excuses - Too busy, too tired, it's too boring, but think about what's behind those excuses. Could it be something larger that's standing in your way? A resistance to change, a fear of something? Or perhaps you're not sure and need to figure that out.

If you're struggling with other issues, exercise-related or not, what's holding you back from what you're trying to accomplish? Vote in this week's poll and then leave a comment, if my poll doesn't quite cover every possibility, and tell us about it.

Comments
January 16, 2013 at 4:27 pm
(1) Jennifer says:

fibromyalgia symptoms, Fatugie from Hypothyriod.

January 21, 2013 at 5:46 pm
(2) Nuggethead says:

Overwhelmed with information and not knowing where to start or the best way to begin.

I was going to write more until I noticed that my fear is….
Not Knowing.

I suppose not knowing where to start, what to do next, how to do it the best way possible, where you may end up.

So, Not knowing is my problem – but then again you never know until you try!

January 21, 2013 at 5:47 pm
(3) bidzbuzz says:

I feel that I am busy and committed all the time! I do exercise 6 days per week, but sometimes I just want to stop….

January 21, 2013 at 7:09 pm
(4) lesa says:

Fear of my ex finding me attractive or thinking I.m doing it for him. I m angry and keep punishing myself with bad foods. I prefer to be not seen. I m sad also and want to change my mind frame. God put me here to be my best yet one person has such a hold and drains me. I lose strength to do it but I want to break out of this prison cell I ve made for myself. I just don t know how to keep my mind in place this is a big life challenge and everything.rides on it . I want to be free to find me!!

January 21, 2013 at 7:28 pm
(5) Rachel says:

I’ve lost the drive to exercise and I used to (2 weeks ago) love it. The sad thing is I am a certified group fitness and personal trainer. I’ve been thinking about changing my career because of this. I feel that this is partly due to my re-occuring ankle pain. I’m just sick of working around it.

January 21, 2013 at 7:45 pm
(6) mom23biz says:

I get too caught up in being the personal assistant to my 3 sons and husband that I end up putting my wants and needs last on the list. I need to let them do more for themselves and then I would do more for me.

January 21, 2013 at 10:32 pm
(7) Kathy M. says:

It’s a vicious circle. I have problems with fatigue so am exhausted all the time. I also know I would feel better if I exercise but can’t seem to make myself go to the gym. I even have friends to go with but I don’t go.

January 22, 2013 at 3:29 am
(8) Galros says:

Two things hold me back: plantar fasciitis and people telling me I should exercise. The more people try to force me into it, the more I dig my heels in and say, ‘No.’

When people leave me to my own devices, I’m quite happy to walk to work, go for a cycle at weekends, have a swim in bad weather, that sort of thing. the instant someone starts laying down the law – which is pretty much constantly this time of year – I stop. Even those people who try and sneak it in under other headings, I know what you’re trying to say!!

I may be feeling slightly irate about this this morning!! :)

January 22, 2013 at 6:36 am
(9) Linda says:

Lazy? Or distracted – like…I’m about to work out but think, I really should vacuum, clean the bathroom, brush the dog…

January 22, 2013 at 8:11 am
(10) Becky says:

Almost all of the above. Including fear of success. What if I do get to that ultimate body, what then? Will my life be better? Will I find that all the pain and deprivation wasn’t really worth it?
Also I have a lot of pain with exercise due to some undiagnosable joint pain issues and inflammation. Itís so hard to get motivated when you’re tired and achy.

January 22, 2013 at 9:22 am
(11) Jani says:

This is crazy what popped into my head! I’m such a perfectionist in “my way”, that to even start a diet/exercise program I need to have exactly what I need to do–besides count calories, recipes,etc. Over the years I’ve gathered info & neatly put them in notebooks, but never compiled a beginning–I just keep reading & filing info! Wow–it may be why I never do anything to help myself. If this be the case, my goal is to go through my paper work–toss, just set up my program & just start to balance out my weight loss w/the caloric count first, just start walking, then worry about the “kinds” of foods to eat. I’m prediabetic & hv stents in my chests, need to down my chol, trigs, carbs–it blows my mind.
I don’t know if I’m right, but today is the beginning of my change. Thanks for making me think of “WHY”

January 22, 2013 at 9:51 am
(12) Linda says:

Like Jennifer, fibromyalgia symptons and fatigue. I have a disabled husband that takes up time plus I work full time. I am a Weight Watcher and take good care of myself, but just cannot work exercise into my daily plan. I know I would feel better if I did. I’ve thought about a personal trainer just to get me started with something appropriate for me. But haven’t done that yet either!

January 22, 2013 at 1:45 pm
(13) Tom says:

I just get tired of doing it.

January 22, 2013 at 2:48 pm
(14) Edith says:

My husband leaves for work at 5:30am. I leave for work at 7:45am. My son and daughter are grown and out of the house. I used to have to get up early to get them ready for school and me ready for work. Now that I no longer have to get up early to get everyone ready, I RELISH, my alone time in the morning!!! I wake up at 6:00, sit in bed and drink coffee and play with the dog! I hate giving that up! However, it is really the only time I have to exercise. I keep telling myself, even two or three days a week would work.