1. Health
Paige Waehner

Resolution Check-In: How are you doing?

By January 31, 2013

It's funny, but every year at about this time I hear statistics about New Year's Resolutions. Specifically, that most of us will completely abandon them by the second week of January.

In my personal observations, I've actually noticed an increase in motivation in the past week, whereas I saw almost none during the first part of January. Maybe something changed this year or maybe statistics are pretty useless in describing the exercise population sometimes. Either way, February is a good time to check in with yourself, especially if you made any resolutions and have already given up.

Even if you don't make formal resolutions, this is a good time to assess where you are in your exercise life. Are you doing okay? Do you need a boost of some kind? Does the thought of spring have any truck with you?

Vote in this week's poll and then leave a comment telling us how you're doing. What do you need to keep going through the rest of this winter?

Comments
January 30, 2012 at 7:31 am
(1) Ben says:

I was on-track until I came down with “the crud” a week ago, and can’t seem to shake it. Missed a couple of workouts; when I thought I was finally getting better, I tried a light workout and had a relapse. Maybe I over-exerted myself. Guess I’ll wait another few days and try again. Oh, well. At least I tried.

January 30, 2012 at 12:53 pm
(2) KS says:

I decided to “resolve” a few things I knew I could achieve if I stayed focused: (1) Getting back to the healthier eating patterns I used to have by returning to the five servings of fruit and/or vegetables a day habit. (2) Getting back to sending birthday cards to friends and family — albeit, e-cards, and (3) Reading a little something every night before bed. So far, I’m doing well with the first two, not so much with the third. No diets, no dramatic workout changes. Once I feel that I’ve accomplished #1 and am there to stay, maybe I can focus on another diet or exercise goal.

January 31, 2012 at 9:54 am
(3) geo says:

two years ago i gave soda, which i think is good foe me. worst things to drink if you are on diet. last year i try to give up french frys, but must say i fail in about the first week. back again this year trying to give them up. so far so good.

January 31, 2012 at 2:10 pm
(4) David says:

So far Exercise goals are good. Eating goals are not so good. Weight loss hasn’t happened. I’m about to throttle up my workouts substantially. Then I can continue to be a pig but hopefully drop some weight. We’ll see how it goes.

February 6, 2012 at 6:35 pm
(5) Jamila says:

My eating goals are still going well – I’ve been keeping a food diary, eating more fruits and veggies and drinking more water. My fitness routine has been stumbling after a few strong weeks due to scheduling conflicts and being sick. But, I’m getting back into my routine.

February 4, 2013 at 8:15 pm
(6) Adele says:

This year instead of resolutions, which usually get broken, I’ve made committment list – not only is it for exercise but anything in your life that you want to be accountable too! So far right on track :)