Why Am I So Skinny?
While others may look at you with envy, you might feel frustrated that you can't ever seem to gain weight. So what's going on? The main culprit is your metabolism, which is higher than the average person's and which is a product of your genetic makeup. We're all limited, to some degree, by our genes but that doesn't mean you can't change your body.
Gaining weight takes the same amount of focus and preparation as losing weight. Some important facts about gaining weight:
- You can't necessarily gain muscle without gaining some fat as well.
- There are no magic foods, powders or pills that will allow you to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Some people can do this naturally (again, the genes), but most will gain some fat along with the muscle
- Your body is very different from a bodybuilder--trying to gain mass to look like them is not the best idea. They have different muscle fibers than you and some may even be getting a little help from illegal substances.
- If you're a teenager, you'll have a hard time changing your body dramatically. It's changing constantly and it will change even more as the years pass.
- Gaining weight requires eating more and lifting more. Sounds simple, right?
If you're ready to get started, you'll need to do a little work on your diet and weight training program. Here's how to eat and exercise for muscle gain.