A few guidelines:
- Target all your muscle groups at least twice a week, with a day or two of rest in between workouts.
- Keep your reps between 8-12 to build muscle, 12-16 for endurance and 4-8 to build strength. Don't be afraid to use different rep ranges regularly to challenge your body in new ways.
- Don't be afraid to lift heavy (women included)
- Choose 1-2 exercises for each body part. For example:
- If you're a beginner, start with one set of 15 reps of each exercise with a moderate weight, adding a set gradually. More about sets and reps.
- Use enough weight that the last rep is difficult, but not impossible. You should be able to finish the last rep with good form. More about choosing your weight.
- Do your strength workouts solo or on the same day as your cardio workouts. If you do them with your cardio, you may want to split your routine so that you're just doing upper or lower body exercises to save time and energy.
Step by Step Strength Training
The following resources offer step by step instructions for working every muscle in your body.
- Your Best Shoulders
- Your Best Chest
- Your Best Back
- Your Best Biceps
- Your Best Triceps
- Your Best Glutes, Hips & Thighs
- Your Best Abs
Next Page: Your Eating Plan