The most effective ab exercises start with the bicycle, which is the best move for targeting the rectus abdominis (i.e., the 'six pack') and the obliques (the waist), according to the study.
Most Effective Ab Exercise: Bicycle
- Lie face up on your mat and place your hands behind your head, lightly supporting it with your fingers.
- Bring the knees in to the chest and lift the shoulder blades off the floor without pulling on the neck.
- Rotate to the left, bringing the right elbow towards the left knee as you straighten the other leg.
- Switch sides, bringing the left elbow towards the right knee.
- Continue alternating sides in a 'pedaling' motion for 1-3 sets of 12-16 reps.
View this video for more detailed instructions.
If you have difficulty with this move, you can try a modified version.
View this exercise in the Best Ab Workout.
Next: Captain's Chair