Top 10 Most Effective Ab Exercises
By Paige Waehner, About.com Guide
Updated September 23, 2012
About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by our Medical Review Board
The reverse crunch comes in 7th place for effective ab exercises, with a focus on the rectus abdominis. With this move, you're curling the hips off the floor, so you'll feel this in the lower part of the abs. The key to this move is to avoid swinging the legs to raise the hips. This is a small, subtle move, so you only need to lift your hips a few inches off the floor.
- Lie on the floor and place hands on the floor or behind the head.
- Bring the knees in towards the chest until they're bent to 90 degrees, with feet together or crossed.
- Contract the abs to curl the hips off the floor, reaching the legs up towards the ceiling.
- Lower and repeat for 1-3 sets of 12-16 reps.
- It's a very small movement, so try to use your abs to lift your hips rather than swinging your legs and creating momentum.
View this exercise in the Best Ab Workout.
Next: Crunch With Heel Push