Ab Exercises - Step by Step Ab Exercises Part 2
By Paige Waehner, About.com Guide
Updated November 12, 2012
About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by our Medical Review Board
This exercise focuses on the core, but it also works the hamstrings and glutes of the standing leg, making it a dynamic exercise. This move is tougher than it looks, so take your time and modify by keeping the leg bent.
- Lie down on a mat with the knees bent.
- Lift the hips so that you're in a bridge position, in a straight line from the knees to the chin.
- When you feel stable, lift the right leg off the floor, extending it straight up until it's perpendicular to the floor.
- Keeping the foot flexed, slowly drop the right leg out to the side a few inches without moving the rest of the body. The movement is very small, so keep it slow and controlled.
- Bring the leg back to center and repeat for 1-3 sets of 8-16 reps on each side.