If you want to improve your balance, stability and core strength, this deceptively simple exercise is a great choice. By balancing on one arm while you're on an unstable surface, you'll not only challenge the arms and shoulders, you'll engage the abs, back and even the legs to keep you in position. You might want to stay near a wall when trying this move for the first time so you can hold on for balance as you master this exercise.
- Lie face down on the ball, positioning it under your abs and hips.
- Place your hands on the floor, shoulder-width apart, and engage the leg muscles to keep the lower body active.
- Slowly lift the right arm straight out to the side, using your core and the left arm to stabilize your body. You'll probably roll around a bit, so take your time and stay near a wall for balance if needed.
- Hold the right arm up for a few seconds and lower back down, lifting the left arm.
- Continue alternating arms for 1-3 sets of 10-16 reps (1 rep is to the right and left).