10 of 14
The above exercises featured moves targeting the lats, the largest muscles in the back. The back extension is a more subtle movement targeting the lower back. Many of us work our abs, but neglect to work the lower back, which can lead to muscle weakness and imbalance.
- Lie face down on a mat and place the hands on the floor or behind the head (more advanced).
- Contract the abs and keep them contracted throughout the exercise.
- Squeeze the back to lift the chest a few inches off the floor.
- Lower and repeat for 1-3 sets of 10-16 reps total on each arm.
- Imagine that you're lengthening the torso as you lift the chest up.
- To add intensity, you can also lift the legs off the floor at the same time.