More Triceps Exercises: Triceps Pushups on the Ball | Triceps Extensions | Skull Crushers | Dips |Kickbacks |One-Arm Pushups |Seated Extensions |Close Grip Bench Press |Extensions with Bands | Front Raise with Extensions
Triceps pushups are a very challenging exercise for the back of the arms. Like traditional pushups, they challenge a variety of muscles in the body (not just the triceps)...what makes them different is your hand position on the floor. By using a narrow hand-placement, you can really target the triceps muscles. This variation is shown on a ball, though you can do them on the floor as well.
- Kneel in front of the ball and roll forward until the ball is under the mid-upper thighs (the further out you are, the harder this move is).
- Place the hands shoulder-width apart and place them just below the chest.
- Bend the elbows and keep them close to the body and facing the back of the room as you lower down into a pushup in a see-saw motion (i.e., don't bend at the hips)
- Push back to start and repeat for 1-3 sets of 10-16 reps.
- Take care when doing this exercise for the first time. By using the see-saw motion mentioned above, you may find it hard to control your body during the lowering part of the motion...in other words, don't hit your head on the floor. :-)
- Keep the elbows facing the back of the room to target the triceps.